Let's Talk Food & Restaurants

Let's Talk Food & Restaurants

Postby HammockGuy » February 27th, 2009, 3:01 pm

Ok, I'll get the ball rolling here with a list of what I remember...

Just down the road from Hotel Laksh (where we stayed), as I recall:

US Pizza (they take credit cards and DELIVER)
Icy Spicy (we didn't try this place, not sure why...)
Subway Sandwich (they have signs saying they take credit cards, but wanted cash)

My favorite, and quite near La Casa Inn:

Hungry Jungle

I'm a carnivore, and India was challenging for me in that respect... I found the Tandoori Chicken quite good. It is considered one of the more expensive places to dine. That said, a couple can get full for about $10 USD.

A quick note on Subway... I believe I learned this from Crystal, but if you are getting produce on your sandwich, have them double toast the whole thing for you. This is for your protection. From the Being Healthy in India thread, remember do not eat any cold sauces, and of drink only bottled waters. Be cautious of fruits and veges, more those are not peel-able. Washing in clean (bottled water) would be prudent. Not likely to happen in a restaurant. Food-handlers should ideally be wearing glooves...

As I said in another thread, we brought many foods and cooked in our room a lot; so ware not the best source on restaurants. Please chime-in with other restaurants, offer more details and experiences on the ones provided, and also, please share information on Indian and other local, ethnic cuisine...

I'll try to remember to post later about the foods and supplies we brought to India...

Thanks.

I recently heard that a Domino's Pizza was just completed and is very near the Big Bazaar...
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy
Father of 2 girls - Thanks Dr. Patel!

Re: Let's Talk Food & Restaurants

Postby Jackie_pbs » August 11th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Just returned from Anand and here is an update of some of the good and recommended restaurants and cost of Autorickshaw to them:

- Dominos pizza - they deliver to Rama - 30 minutes or free! - and you can order online at http://www.dominos.co.in/orderonline/, but you will need an Indian mobile phone number that they call back and confirm your order with. If booking online you can pay with your credit card or in person when the pizza arrives. You can also go and eat there, but sometimes the music is REALLY loud.

Autorickshaw price: 30 rupees

-Subway - Offers both Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian options (chicken and turkey). Air Conditioned.

Autorickshaw price: 40 rupees

-The Chocolate Room - http://www.thechocolateroomindia.com/. Great desserts/sundaes/ice cream/waffles/pancakes and a yummy menu selection for food. I loved the mushroom crepes.Air Conditioned

Location: Farther Townhall - Vidhayanagar Road - Before Subway
Autorickshaw price: 30-40 rupees

-Cafe Coffee Day http://www.cafecoffeeday.com/.The Indian Starbucks. Good for all coffee stuff and mocktails, nice sandwiches. Air Conditioned.Wifi - i think...

Location: Townhall - Vidhayanagar Road - Across from Big Bazaar - opposite side of street

-SanKalp http://www.sankalponline.com/ South Indian cuisine. Is a chain across India and in USA. Good Dosa's, a little spicy but fresh food. Air Conditioned.

Location: Townhall - Vidhayanagar Road - Down from Big Bazaar - Next to Sony Store
Autorickshaw price: 30-40 rupees

-Divine - Set Thali meals with "all you can eat" that they keep refilling your empty bowls. Good fresh food. Air Conditioned.

Location: Townhall - Vidhayanagar Road - Before Big Bazaar Opposite side of street

-City Point Restaurant - Punjabi, Chinese, Jain and South Indian Cuisine. I enjoyed the Biriyani. Air Conditioned.

Location: Borsad Chowkdi, Near Jilla Seva Sadan, Sojitra Road

-Kalrav
-New Thali Restaurant under Rama Hotel - have not tried - just opened 4 days ago
Jackie_pbs

Postby snv1979 » August 14th, 2011, 10:00 am

Just wanted to mention that Icy-Spicy was closed down last time we were here. Please check if it still exists.

Few more additions to the above list:

Vangi - just below Rama. New restaurant - only Vegetarian - similar to Divine Dining Hall. Prices around Rs. 150 per person.

Daawat - Bhai Kaka Statue - at the other end of the Town Hall road - past Big Bazaar / Sankalp etc.,
Good Punjabi, Chaat (Indian Street food) & South Indian food.

Mirch Masala - there is a lane opposite Daawat. Or at Bhai Kaka Statue turn left and in about 25 - 30 metres, you need to turn right into a small lane and go about 100 m you would find this restaurant. We tried this place once on one of our earlier trips - Excellent Ambience & good tasting Indian food

Madhuban too has a good buffet food - both western and Indian food.

Dolphin - in a lane just before Divine Dining - not tried yet.

Your best food guide is Hitesh.
snv1979

Postby KPM » August 23rd, 2011, 2:02 pm

I just found this list that I had copied from the old forum before my trip in January.

Madhubhan Resort - buffets for breakfast, lunch or dinner in their 24 Seven restaurant. Wonderful service. The waiters can make recommendations on Indian foods to try, and the chefs are more than happy to make dishes to order. Plentiful fresh fruit (papaya, kiwi, pineapple) at breakfast, and we had no problems with it. Some really amazing food. You will eat very well here. Try everything. If you are guests, bring the free bottled water from your room, as they charge a ridiculous price for it in the restaurant.
The Dolphin - newer. Very nice. Vegetarian. Not all the auto drivers know where this is, so helpful to have the address or a general sense. Manager likes to try to upsell you on everything.
Hungry Jungle - further out unless you are staying at the La Casa. Kind of like an Indian Rainforest Cafe (!), which made us laugh. Meat. Great chicken tikka masala.
Icy Spicy - casual, family oriented, good. Vegetarian. Few English speakers, but we did fine with a lot of pointing.
Avkul - Very good chicken dishes. Some entrees were a bit oily.
Rama Residency - will cook and serve you lunch or dinner in their breakfast area. A huge amount of food for about $1 (breads, 2 vegetarian entrees, side dishes or soup, dessert and drinks). A very good option if you are staying at the Rama and do not want to head out. It is spicy. Hit or miss. Just eat a lot of bread on the miss nights! Breakfast was pretty bad here. Stick with their toast and cornflakes. Can order snacks likes samosas anytime and can be served in their lobby while using the internet (ask for the code at the front desk)
La Casa Inn - Fine if you stick with soups, naan and their Indian specialties. Breakfast (included if you stay there) is either an Indian breakfast (try it) or eggs cooked to order with toast.
Cafe Coffee Day - good chocolate (Choco-latte?) milkshakes. Thought food was just so-so. Right around the corner from the C9 Gym, if you want to undo all the good you just did in your workout!
Avkul Restaurant –Good
Coffee Day shop –Good
The Three Muskatiers
Hungry Jungle
La Casita ( not good)
Hotel lakash (good)
KPM

Postby Beagle » November 17th, 2011, 2:54 am

Hi Spanky, I have it by good authority that you became an expert on the cuisine - granted out of neccesity - can I be cheeky and ask for your tips :D

Beagle
Father to 2 beautiful girls.
Beagle

Postby Beagle » November 17th, 2011, 3:09 am

Jackie_pbs wrote:Just returned from Anand and here is an update of some of the good and recommended restaurants and cost of

-The Chocolate Room - http://www.thechocolateroomindia.com/. Great desserts/sundaes/ice cream/waffles/pancakes and a yummy menu selection for food. I loved the mushroom crepes.Air Conditioned

-New Thali Restaurant under Rama Hotel - have not tried - just opened 4 days ago

Hi JackiePbs, is the chocolate room behind Cafe Day??

Also we tried the Thalia restaurant and it was good food. Basically they put a metal plate in front of you with about 7 small bowels and they continue to fill it with yummy offerings. We stayed clear of the chopped tomato dish, otherwise for 120rs great taste and value
Beagle

Postby Jackie_pbs » November 18th, 2011, 1:14 pm

Beagle wrote:
Jackie_pbs wrote:

Hi JackiePbs, is the chocolate room behind Cafe Day??

Hi Beagle!

No - The Chocolate Room is not behind Cafe Coffee Day.
It is just off the main street, between Cafe Coffee Day and Subway. It is located on a side steet on the opposite side from Cafe Coffee Day. There is an Ice Cream shop across the street from it. If you still can't find it I suggest that you give Jiggar at Rama the number and he can call and ask for the directions - write them down to hand to the Auto-Rickshaw drivers. Enjoy!
Jackie_pbs

Postby Beagle » November 19th, 2011, 8:10 am

Found it :-) thank you, it's actually an Australian owned store, go figure :D
Beagle

Postby snv1979 » November 22nd, 2011, 8:11 am

I am not sure if you tried Vangi - basement of Rama. This is a clean and neat restaurant compared to others like Divine Dining, etc.,

It's Rs.150 for an all-you-can eat meal.

Please note - there would be lot of sugar, butter & ghee (clarified butter - butter is brought to a boil and filtered - tastes better than butter).
snv1979

Postby Beagle » November 24th, 2011, 1:01 am

snv1979 wrote:I am not sure if you tried Vangi - basement of Rama. This is a clean and neat restaurant compared to others like Divine Dining, etc.,

It's Rs.150 for an all-you-can eat meal.

Please note - there would be lot of sugar, butter & ghee (clarified butter - butter is brought to a boil and filtered - tastes better than butter).

Yep we tried Vangi it was a good dinner . We kept clear of the chopped tomatoes as we didnt know how they were washed.

They had young waiters which is always amusing, how they serve you and get distracted and pur water all over the table or dish out food like it was from an english boaridning school :D

. Its these differnces from home that make our stay a little more fun and a little less anxious. :D
Beagle

Return to Topic-focused Discussions