Let's Talk Hotels

Re: Let's Talk Hotels

Postby snl51 » September 16th, 2011, 6:02 am

We stayed there in January. They kicked us out because a wedding party had reserved the entire hotel. To reserve a room after the wedding party, they required a 50% deposit.

On another note, when we were forced to find another hotel, the receptionist called his friend at the Neejanand Resort. It is 2 miles out of town, but was very, very quiet. If anyone is looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of Anand, I highly recommend it. My wife thought it was too quiet(she's a city girl), but it was a nice change from all the honking. If I recall, their suites were similarly priced to deluxe rooms in town. We rented a car in Mumbai so it was easy to go and return, but I can't image a taxi is very expensive.

www.neejanand.com
snl51

Postby ivfsurrogate2011 » November 26th, 2011, 8:15 pm

Planning to be in Anand in December end of this year.
Has anyone stayed at Hotel Surabhi during your stay in Anand?
How is internet connection in Rama? We plan to work do you think it is possible in Rama?
Is La Cassa noisy hotel due to proximity to main road?
Is Laksh hotel noisy as it also close to main road?
ivfsurrogate2011

Postby spanky » November 26th, 2011, 10:11 pm

Hi. I have seen them all and stayed in all except Surabhi.

Rama wins because of convenience to clinic, decent cleanliness and service.

Surabhi is not too far and you could walk to the clinic in December I would think, but certainly not in the summer. They have a wide variety of rooms. I saw some large ones with balcony for the same or a little less then Rama. It is an older hotel and not quite so clean.

Laksh is pretty nice and has a good restaurant on the top floor although expensive for the area. You can walk to a few restaurants and stores from there, but it would be a long walk to the clinic We moved out after another couple had money stolen from their room. Rooms facing the steet are a little noisy as it is on a very busy intersection.

La Casa used to be very nice, but as of a few months ago seemed very run down. The main noise there was wedding parties and parties in rooms above us. The restaurant there changed ownership and is not good anymore. We saw cockroaches at our table..

If you are not planning to be there for a very long time and can afford it I would stay at the Madhuban resort.
It is 3-4 times more expensive then the others, but is the closest to western standards you will find in Anand.

They all have acceptable Internet, but I wouldn't count on 100% uptime at any of them. You can get 3G wireless from any cell shop but beware that there really is no 3G in Anand. You will get very slow cellular Internet (EDGE) if you use that. It could be good for backup if it is critical you have some email access for example.

Good luck to you.
spanky

Postby ivfsurrogate2011 » December 10th, 2011, 1:36 pm

Hi,
Will be staying in Vadodara for few days. Any suggestions?
ivfsurrogate2011

Postby embolism99 » March 23rd, 2012, 10:33 pm

Does anyone know if Rama provides cribs in the room?

Emily Grover
Twins due in Oct 2012
Emily Grover
embolism99@yahoo.com
Twins October 2012 on 2nd try (used donor eggs) with Dr. Patel
embolism99

Postby anchau » March 24th, 2012, 3:30 am

Hi Emily,
Rama does not have cribs. We brought a Kidco Peapod, like the one in the link below, and it worked out very well for us for our 6 weeks stayed at Rama last December.
http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-PeaPod-Lime ... 028&sr=8-2

The things I like about the peapod is that it is very light, small to carry, and protected our twins from mosquitos. There are a lot of mosquitos any where you stay in Anand and the Peapod was a big help for our twins.

We requested an extra mattress from a room service guys and put the Peapod on the top of it.

Some suggestions:
1) Reserve your hotel early for as long as you think you'll need. If you can leave Anand early, you just let the Hotel front desk know and they won't charge you for the days that you don't use. Rama is very good at this..
2) Bring a good size fishline or lawn trimmer string to hang-dry your babies cloths. I used the one in the link below and it works out very well.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-AF-1 ... -2-catcorr
On the top level of Rama hotel, access through stairway, there is a cloth line outside in the sun that you can also use to hang-dry your and your babies cloths. We use that everyday for the heavy cloths and blankets.
3) Go to Big Bazzard and get yourself a set of 12 cloths clippers to keep your cloths from dropping on the floor due to wind when you hang-dry them outside on the deck.
anchau

Postby Madyson » April 16th, 2012, 6:44 pm

Looks like we will be at La Casa in June for 16 days. Excited and scared.
Madyson

Postby macs45 » May 15th, 2012, 10:39 am

My wife and I will be in Anand from May 27th to June 13th 2012...
macs45

Postby Madyson » July 14th, 2012, 7:54 am

Update on our stay in La Casa -
We enjoyed it very much. Very clean and there is a non-veg restaurant on property. Breakfast was included and they would make me fried eggs every morning. (We got scrambled one morning, then I had to giggle because they added sugar. Gujurati food often has sugar added. Husband made sure to tell them salt - no sugar - next time he ordered them.) As with most restaurants, some dishes were really good and then others were average. I liked that we could also order anything off the menu to our room.

The staff was always remarkably helpful. From arranging our car to the airport, to the doormen, to giving us directions to the internet cafes. We were extremely pleased with the staff and hotel.

The hotel is approximately a 15-20 minute walk to the clinic. You can't exactly get good directions via google, so you may want to make note by taking a rickshaw. A rickshaw (aka tuk-tuk) should be Rs 30 (currently less than a US dollar.) We frequently walked as I wanted the exercise, but the first day we did get a little lost. We never had a problem getting a rickshaw when needed. You can either wait for the doorman to flag one down or walk next door where a ton are all parked.

With regards to some concerns regarding traffic noise, it was ok for us. We had a 3rd (top) level room that faced the main road. Morning traffic started around 8-9ish, which was good since it signified to get up and go to clinic. The noise level in India is so high to me anyway, that it really started to become white noise after awhile - and I am normally very noise aversive (ask the shopping center behind my house! I complain a lot!) By the time I went to bed, the noise level had dropped from the daytime and I was exhausted from the day to boot. Needless to say, I did not have any issues with traffic noise, which was quite surprising knowing my proclivity to it.

If you are looking to interact with other couples, then Rama might be a better choice. We saw one other couple that we thought MIGHT be a patient of Dr. Patel's, but we didn't ask. The couples we met at the clinic were all staying at Rama (very close to clinic). Someone told me there were 4 babies there when we in Anand, so that may be a consideration you want to think about.

That's it.
Madyson

Postby spanky » July 14th, 2012, 2:01 pm

Thanks for the La Casa review, Madyson ;) We stayed there as well as Rama and Laksh at different times. It was always way too hot for us to walk to the clinic from there though. I just wanted to chime in and share this Google map of Anand that I am sure someone will find helpful: http://goo.gl/maps/0XE9
spanky

Postby bmkoss » October 28th, 2013, 7:50 am

We stayed at the Rama Residency during our IVF cycle and egg retrieval. We chose it simply for the proximity to the clinic and being most cost effective. The staff is friendly and helpful. The front desk will make local calls for you, whether you want to order Dominos Pizza or call your driver; we called Uday a couple times. Housekeeping is very efficient and does a good job. We paid Rama to do our laundry, which is very reasonable at about 30rupee per item.

We did get conflicting information regarding the Wifi. Online it does say there us a charge, but most couples we spoke with said it was free. When we paid our hotel bill, the guy at the front desk said there is a charge for the WiFi and we would get 50% off being Dr Patel's patients. When we questioned it, he said not to spworry about it. It may just depend who you talk to.

We played it safe with regard to what we ate. We ate only at a The Rama and also ordered from Dominos Pizza. The breakfast at the hotel is very limited. Omelets, toast, coffee, and a couple indian items were the daily options. We bought cereal at the Big Bazaar and had that with a glass if milk at the hotel. The milk and ice cream were ok since they are from the local dairy. The lunch/ dinner options on the menu are plenty, but 95% of then are Indian cuisine. A few are Indi-Chinese based.

We bought 12 pack bottled Aquafina water at the Rama. Large bottles for 160rupees.
bmkoss

Postby Phoenix » November 16th, 2013, 12:26 pm

I stayed at Rama because of the proximity to clinic. I just had to cross the street and walk 3 mins to the clinic. I felt this was the best option since I did not want to get TukTuk from the other hotels and since I was by traveling by myself. I was also glad to meet 2 returning successful couples trying for 2nd child(ren) and 2 couples who had been there for 3 months or more with their countries immigration processing. I was happy to meet their twins and it gave me more of an idea what I would need to bring if I were to stay again to pick up babies. I would likely stay their again because staff were helpful. Since the WiFi was working sporadically due to the 3-4 electricity outages/day, they would have to reset the wifi every time. The staff offered me the use of their office computer which was connected to Internet. They did not charge me for Wifi but they said normally was like 60 rupees. Also they have irons and water boiling kettles you can use of course they are first come first, no guarantee. In case you want to borrow water kettle I suggest using some lemon or vinegar to remove mineral deposit from kettles before use. There is a small stores right next to hotel to buy water, biscuits, chips and soda. The Seven Eleven baby store was behind the street from Dr. Patel's clinic. Since I'm from New York City I liked being able to be in walking distance to everything.

I also visited Madhubhan Resort. The rooms were modern, had water kettle in every room. I stress water kettle because you must either boil tap water or use bottle water to brush your teeth. Their Wifi has 3hr limit per room per day and they change passwords everyday. Their restaurants Kouzina (Italian) and buffet ( international) were ex. I went there 3 times because I was craving meat and not spicy entrees. I think the injections made my stomach more sensitive because at home I can eat spicy things with no problems. Their website pictures are self explanatory. Their spa services were good for facial which was much needed after breaking out with pimples on face due to stress, heat, perspiration and extra hormones. So I saved money by not staying at Madhubhan and used them for only for a taste of home and spa services. The Resort also has car services which is charged by mileage or the entire day. My friend and I used TukTuk to go from Dr. Patel's clinic and to return to Rama in the evening, by Resorts car service since we didn't want ant error in drop off point. We felt car service was a safer option for two foreign women to travel in the evening and it was a long walk from hotel lobby to main road anyways. If you stayed at resort you must Travel by TukTuk or car service.
I did not see mosquito screens at either hotels. I would definitely say bug repellant is a necessity!
Phoenix

Postby anandfans » December 18th, 2013, 9:36 am

We are here for the second trial, and both times we have been staying in Surabhi Regency hotel on Amul road. We checked also Rama but prefer Surabhi even if it is located further away from the clinic. We found quiet streets through residential area to get from the hotel to the clinic. It takes around 10-15 minutes of a nice walk, which is a bit of luxury in Anand and in urban India. We like Surabhi better (which is in price comparable to Rama) because it has a nicer location and all rooms have large windows with a nice clear view outside. The Rama's building is sandwiched between the buildings and windows overlook only the courtyard. That was the main thing that we did not like. In Surhabi, Internet has been working fine, quite well actually. The staff is extremely nice, efficient and in general has a very professional attitude. We've also developed nice relation with the hotel owner who helped us with many things. So Surabhi hotel is a good alternative to Rama.

We also went to Madhubhan for spa and swimming pool (there is nothing much to do in Anand!). It is indeed nice but too pretentious for my taste and prices in restaurants are too high compared to the average in Anand. Spa services are actually quite good, so it can be a nice treat and break in routine.
anandfans

Previous

Return to Topic-focused Discussions