Obtaining an Indian Visa

Obtaining an Indian Visa

Postby HammockGuy » February 27th, 2009, 3:04 pm

While I realize that Dr. Patel is internationally famous, my experience in getting an Indian Visa is from the US. I hope our friends from Canada, Australia, UK, Iceland and other countries can share what they did to get the needed visa...

I would guess that there is more than one way to obtain an Indian visa in the US. We used the India Visa Center.

We found it to be rather straight-forward and easy. Being optimistic, we requested a 1-year visa with the hope that we'd return to pick-up a baby within 12 months (as of this moment, we are 11 weeks pregnant!). As you can see, the price is really not that much more expensive for a 1-year visa. In the Fall of 2008, this cost us $98 each, and with $20 for shipping, it was $216 total. We got the needed photos right at Costco for $11 for both of us and mailed those, along with our passports and application. Follow the directions carefully.

The turn-around time was a little over a week. Given that, I wouldn't apply too early as the visa time starts ticking once approved, not upon entering India.

Anyone go about securing their visa differently, or have other helpful information to share?

Also, the application asks for the reason(s) for visiting India. I seem to recall mixed opinions on how to respond. One option is for medical treatment, or something to that effect; and many of us didn't feel comfortable stating that as the reason for travel. I went back-and-forth on this question, and ultimately decided to just put travel / tourism. I feel that if one states they are visiting only Anand, it might be deduced that a visit to Dr. Patel's clinic is the reason; so I'd be a bit careful with this response. I stated that we were planning to visit Ahmadabad, Anand, and I believe Surat, so as to take the focus off Anand.

I think it might be helpful for all to hear how others addressed this question, and more importantly the thinking behind the decision...
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy
Father of 2 girls - Thanks Dr. Patel!

Re: Obtaining an Indian Visa

Postby KPM » August 11th, 2011, 2:22 pm

We made the mistake of applying for a medical visa on our first trip in January. It was a disaster. I would highly recommend applying for a tourist visa instead. We had to register with the FRRO office in Anand and ended up going the local police station several times and spending about additional Rs 5000. I was hospitalized towards the end of our trip and a police officer came to the hospital to see me before giving us the exit visa (they wanted to make sure that I was not lying, I did not commit any illegal activity and was in Dr. Patel's hospital.) Our medical visa expired in April 2011. We are expecting twins next month and had to pay again to get tourist visas. I strongly recommend getting a tourist visa if you can. The payment for tourist visa for 1 year and 10 years are the same so we got a 10 year visa to India (hoping to take the kids to see the surrogate someday).
KPM

Postby HammockGuy » August 11th, 2011, 4:00 pm

KPM wrote:We made the mistake of applying for a medical visa on our first trip in January. It was a disaster. I would highly recommend applying for a tourist visa instead. We had to register with the FRRO office in Anand and ended up going the local police station several times and spending about additional Rs 5000. I was hospitalized towards the end of our trip and a police officer came to the hospital to see me before giving us the exit visa (they wanted to make sure that I was not lying, I did not commit any illegal activity and was in Dr. Patel's hospital.) Our medical visa expired in April 2011. We are expecting twins next month and had to pay again to get tourist visas. I strongly recommend getting a tourist visa if you can. The payment for tourist visa for 1 year and 10 years are the same so we got a 10 year visa to India (hoping to take the kids to see the surrogate someday).

KPM, thanks for sharing that unfortunate situation. Being completely honest really makes things difficult. We got 10 year toursit visas and it saved us a fair amount of money given the trips we took, and some heartache too. Before they expire in like 2020, we are thinking of taking our girls to India. They would be 8 to 10 years old that time, so old enough we hope to understand and appreciate how they came into this world...

Oh, that reminds me of a topic that we had before - something like, who have you told?
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy

Postby Jackie_pbs » August 11th, 2011, 8:09 pm

Indian Visa's in USA have been outsourced through TRAVISA.
Here is the link of the criteria you will need to get the Visa - scroll down to TOURIST VISA
http://india.travisa.com/VisaInstructio ... ntryID=IN&

Where you send your passport and supporting documentation for processing is dependent on where you reside in USA. You must fill out the India Visa Application Online in order to obtain a Application ID and password for checking the status of your visa application. Once this is done you will then send your packet onto an application centre. Below are Centres listed

India Visa Application Procedures

- Review instructions based on the purpose of journey to India
- Complete, print and sign all visa application forms, including Travisa's Global Reservation Form
- Send all of the visa application requirements listed above to Travisa.

India Visa Applications can be processed in the following location(s):

Residents of these states:
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin

Send documents to:
Travisa - Chicago
120 S. State Street, Unit 3
Chicago, IL 60603

Tel: (312) 332-1161
Tel: (800) 766-0608
Fax: (312) 332-1163

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida,, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas

Send documents to:
Travisa - Houston
4550 Post Oak Place, Suite 251
Houston, TX 77027

Tel: (713)961-3500
Fax: (713)961-3506

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virgin Island

Send documents to:
Travisa - New York
290 5th Avenue, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10001

Tel: (212) 613-2223
Fax: (212) 613-2287

Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming

Send documents to:
Travisa - San Francisco
564 Market Street, Ste 214
San Francisco, CA 94104

Tel: (415) 837-0771
Tel: (800) 421-5468
Fax: (415) 837-0775

Delaware, District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Bermuda

Send documents to:
Travisa - Washington, DC
1731 21st. St. NW
Washington, DC 20009

Tel: (202) 463-6166
Fax: (202) 293-1112
Jackie_pbs

Postby HammockGuy » August 11th, 2011, 9:26 pm

You guys are really saving me loads of time. THANK YOU! The forum's content is coming back in record time...
HammockGuy

Postby HammockGuy » August 11th, 2011, 9:33 pm

Oh, something else to keep-in-mind. Apply for the visa early, but ideally not too early, especially if you are getting a 1 year one. Would be nice if it was still valid when you go to pick-up your baby or babies! I'm a fan of the 10 year one... It's not much more money, as I believe seen on the link provided by Jackie above...
HammockGuy

Postby petitcanard » December 13th, 2011, 12:44 pm

Hello all! I have a question for any fellow Canadians who may be able to offer insight into attaining an entry Visa for India, and of course anyone else who may have relevant info :)

- What type of Visa did you get, and for how long? I've seen elsewhere 10 year Visas mentioned (which I was happy about), however I think that may just be for the US? I can only see 6 month options on the websites I've checked

- How long from application to receiving the Visa?

- What did you say on the Visa, if you're willing to share, about your reason for traveling? Curious as to the wisdom of disclosing the actual reason.

Thanks so much in advance!
petitcanard

Postby past 7 » August 4th, 2012, 7:43 am

Ok, so we are in India on a Tourist Visa. When we were registering at hotel, they asked the reason for stay. We told them tourist, but they knew we were visiting Dr. Naina since the hotel car dropped us off at clinic. Then when we paid doc with traveler's checks, so they wanted copies of our travel visa. Could this cause issues for us hen we try to get home?

Has anyone else experienced similar situation? Also, the clinic took pix of our passports and visas.

This is hard enough without going through more red tape.

Please let me know.

Thank you
past 7

Postby FChallanged » August 8th, 2012, 11:00 am

We missed to check this forum before going to Anand and missed many things.

We talked to Indian embassy and they told we need medical visa and we applied for that instead of tourist visa. We missed the fact that we have to register to local FRRO. When I listened Hitesh talking with other client about visa issue, I asked if we have to do anything. Then he asked about our visa type and told that we have to go to FRRO (or police office). It was already 12th day and we have to report within 14 day of arrival. We only had few days before we leave Anand so we had to do this quickly. He arranged his representative to do all paper works - certificate from hospital, certificate from hotel about your stay, return tickets, 4 photos, copy of passport and visa.

The representative did the paper works and submitted to FRRO and let us know the time we have to and visit the police office. We had to go to police station (FRRO) to register and get exit permission and spend total Rs. 2000, service charge or tip (Rs. 1000) to the mediator and bribe to the police (Rs. 1000 for two, Rs. 500 each).

One thing the police told in the station that shorts are not allowed in Indian police station and temples. I was in short and asked if I have to go and change. He asked not to wear short from next time. Little awkward!
FChallanged

Postby tara » November 20th, 2012, 6:57 am

We went on a Medical visa for the IVF. Apparently it is a new rule, however the embassy did not have the exact instructions what are the requirements.

Apart from the forms + photographs + fee they asked us for the following:
1. Sign a Declaration: This is to certify that I, ..., and I, ... intend to travel to India for the purpose of IVF treatment with gestational surrogacy. We have liaised with the xxx Embassy in New Delhi and established the procedure for obtaining xxx citizenship for the child (or children) which will be born due to the procedure.
Further, we declare that we will not seek to obtain Indian citizenship for the child(ren).
2. Letter from Dr Patel
3. Letter signed from our Embassy in New Delhi basically showing that there is a procedure the baby to get our citizenship. (This is to certify that Mr ... passport ... born ... is planning to undergo a surrogacy treatment in India. He has contacted the Embassy of xxx in New Delhi in regards to acquiring citizenship for his unborn child. The Embassy will hence be guiding him in respect to obtaining xxx citizenship once his child is born."

I had the feeling that the officer at the Indian embassy who was issuing us the visa simply tried to get as many stamps and letters as possible, to cover his back. At that time he clearly didn't have exact instructions of what to do. Once we put together the documents, he gave us the medical visas. It's a single entry and 3 months (so we didn't have to register in India).

That was for the IVF treatment. I don't know what visa do we need when we go back to pick up our baby. If anybody knows that, please let us know.
tara

Postby snv1979 » December 4th, 2012, 11:01 am

Good New finally.....

The 60-day re-entry restrictions on Visa have been / are being lifted.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 479771.cms

Please check this link on the Economic Times website...
snv1979

Postby Nava10 » June 25th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are going to Anand in about exactly one month from today. We were just going to apply for Tourist Visa, should we get a Medical Visa instead? One person on this forum said the rules have changed and a medical visa is now required.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you!
Nava10

Postby tara » June 27th, 2013, 12:15 am

Hi Nava10,

you and your husband will have to apply for a Medical Visa both for the IVF trip and to pick up the baby. I explained in an earlier post what are the additional requirements, that the embassy has asked us for it. There was no problem getting it.

Good luck!
tara

Postby Nava10 » August 30th, 2013, 11:06 am

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I just got back to the USA from India for IVF/Surrogacy. We received a medical visa before we left. Just wanted let you know they requested the following items from us:

1. Letter from Dr. Patel
2. Letter from a doctor in the US stating that you need the medical procedure
3. Marriage Certificate
4. Photos, visa forms, stardard visa documents

We didn't originally include our marriage certificate in our application because it doesn't say that anywhere on the website or form. It got rejected and turned into a huge mess. Thought I'd share with the group to remember to include a copy of your marriage certificate.

Also, my husband had a 10 year tourist visa to India that was not to expire until 2018, they put a big "Cancel" stamp on it, which was a little annoying since the 10 year visa was not cheap. So for those that have a tourist visa, keep in mind that it will be revoked.
Nava10

Postby easybreezy » October 15th, 2013, 5:22 pm

All,

As of this summer, Travisa is no longer the vendor for getting Indian Visas. They now use a new vendor called BLS (see the link below). Note that they are experiencing some delays in processing visas so plan ahead! Our expedite service said it would still be at least 3 weeks, if not longer.

http://www.visa.blsindia-usa.com
easybreezy

Postby bmkoss » October 28th, 2013, 6:40 am

BLS handled our visas. It took about 3 weeks, so give yourselves plenty of time. Instructions on what to submit are all over the place on their website, so read all carefully. Dr Patel requires a medical visa and she will email you forms to submit to BLS along with your paperwork. Make sure you include a priority mail return envelope so BLS can send back your passport.
bmkoss

Next

Return to Topic-focused Discussions