Obtaining an Indian Visa

Re: Obtaining an Indian Visa

Postby Apple » November 3rd, 2013, 9:32 pm

My first visit to Dr. Patel will be on second week of December, 2013, My agency send me the current India legislation for medical visa:

1. The foreign man and woman are dully married and the marriage should have sustained at least for two years.
2. A letter from the Embassy of the foreign country in India or the Foreign Ministry of the country should be enclosed with the Visa application stating clearly that (a) the country recognizes surrogacy and (b) the child/children to be born to the commissioning couple through the Indian surrogate mother will be permitted entry into their country as a biological child/children of the couple commissioning surrogacy.
3. The couple will furnish an undertaking that they would take care of the child/children born through surrogacy.
4. The treatment should be done only at one of the registered ART clinics recognized by ICMR (The list of such clinics will be shared with MEA from time to time)
5. The couple should produce a duly notarized agreement between the applicant couple and the prospective Indian surrogate mother

If any of the above conditions are not fulfilled , the visa application shall be rejected.

Before the grant of visa , the foreign couple need to be told that before leaving India for their return journey, "exit" permission from FRRO/FRO would be required. Before granting "exit", the FRRO/FRO will see whether the foreign couple is carrying a certificate from the ART clinic concerned regarding the fact that the child/ children have been duly taken custody of by the foreigner and that the liabilities towards the Indian surrogate mother have been fully discharged as per the agreement. A copy of the birth certificate (s) of the surrogate child/children will be retained by the FRRO/FRO along with photocopies of the passport and visa of the foreign parents.

Did anybody know how to obtain above 2,3 and 5 documents? I asume that Dr. Patel will provide them. Am I right?
Apple

Postby ceciliame » November 6th, 2013, 4:58 am

Hi Apple,

The India government are very stringent with regards to the medical visa for surrogacy now. I have friends who have trouble getting the medical visas if they are unable to furnish a letter from your government stating that they recognize surrogacy and they will be legally allowed into the country. Therefore, you need to obtain this particular letter (which Dr Patel will not be able to provide) to submit your medical visa application. You also need all your marriage certificates and other documents such as your undertaking. Without the letter from your government, they will not issue you the medical visa and if you do go in with tourist visa for ivf surrogacy, the police will arrest you. That is what I heard from friends who were there in August and the police were at Rama trying to find couples with tourist visas who were there on ivf / surrogacy. So please do not try to go in with tourist visas. Dr Patel will only give you the agreement (if she had it prepared in advance).
ceciliame

Postby Apple » November 14th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Hi Cecillame,

Thank you for your information. I was not able to access to this web for a while. Is your friends live in United State? How and where to obtain this particular letter? What is the undertaking document look like? Is your friend finally got the medical visa?
Apple

Postby luv2decorate » November 14th, 2013, 8:44 pm

My wife and I are US citizens. My wife has an OCI. We are interested in doing a surrogacy from Anand. My questions are as below:

1. Does she need a medical visa (even though she has an OCI)
2. I qualify for an OCI but do NOT intend to take OCI. Do I need a medical visa when I accompany her to India?

Thank you.
luv2decorate

Postby sabbey » November 25th, 2013, 6:00 pm

Hello, I have similar question. My husband and I are US citizens stationed in Japan. The Indian Embassy in Tokyo rejected our medical visa application because they did not understand the letter we submitted that stated surrogacy is legal in the US. Now we don't know what to do. We do not have a permanent USA address but we are US citizens. Any military families in a foreign county trying to do this. Please help!
sabbey

Postby Covaliu » December 10th, 2013, 12:22 pm

Hello,

I'm glad I read this page, the "government letter" requirement for a medical visa was not obvious to me. Can anyone point me in the directin of how one gets a letter from the U.S. stating surrogacy is legal?

Thanks very much for your help!
Covaliu

Postby lowe2 » December 10th, 2013, 5:40 pm

Hi Covaliu,

You can get your letter from the US embassy site for India. If you go to US citizen services it is under births abroad. I hope this helps. Best of luck!

Lowe2
lowe2

Postby Covaliu » December 12th, 2013, 7:49 am

Thanks!
Covaliu

Postby bmorgan » August 17th, 2014, 8:55 am

My wife and I are gathering documents to apply for the medical visa. Two questions I still have:

1) What exactly is this letter required: "The couple will furnish an undertaking that they would take care of the child/children born through surrogacy." Does anyone have an example text? Does it need to be notarized?

2) One post here mentioned that they needed "Letter from a doctor in the US stating that you need the medical procedure." This is the first I have heard of this. Has anyone else had this requested of them? It is not mentioned on the instructions from the Indian consulate.

Thank you!
bmorgan

Postby Apple » August 24th, 2014, 8:10 pm

Hi bmorgan,

1) Here is a sample for undertaking:

name
address

UNDERTAKING
Date:
To Whom It May Concern:
RE: Web File #’s ______________
We, Mr. _____ bearing passport No. ______, national of United States of America, and Mrs. ____ bearing passport No. ____, national of United States of America both hereby state and unconditionally depose as under:
1. That we are both married for more than two (2) years. Our marriage was solemnised in the year __.
2. We undertook surrogacy program out of our own will and after mutual consensus.
3. That our country allows and recognises surrogacy.
4. That we undertake that we shall be solely responsible to grant name and nationality to the child so born out of the surrogacy arrangement undertaken by us.
5. The child so born shall be our legitimate child and shall have all the rights like a natural born child.
6. That we undertake unconditionally to take care of the child and do their bringing up with utmost love, care and affection.
7. That we shall not abandon the child and would be responsible for children welfare and grant of USA citizenship rights.

___________________ ___________________
name name
STATE OF FLORIDA USA
COUNTY OF BROWARD
The foregoing instrument was acknowledged before me this ____ by ____ and _____, ___who are personally known to me or ___who have produced _________________________________________ as identification.

________________________ ___________________________
Notary Public Seal of Notary Public

2)You need to ask your doctor in US for this letter. It is required.
Apple

Postby Apple » August 24th, 2014, 8:17 pm

I just went to the BLS site to get an Indian travel Visa but am having trouble. Does anyone know where to obtain the Indian travel Visa? Thanks
Apple

Postby bmorgan » September 3rd, 2014, 7:03 am

Thanks Apple. That letter is helpful. Regarding your question of what happened to BLS for processing Indian Visas, there is a new processor - Cox and Kings - and they can be found at http://www.in.ckgs.us. Best regards!
bmorgan

Previous

Return to Topic-focused Discussions