Why Surrogacy and why with Dr. Patel in Anand, India

Why Surrogacy and why with Dr. Patel in Anand, India

Postby HammockGuy » February 27th, 2009, 3:05 pm

I have come to learn that most folks who are pondering surrogacy have been through at least several IVF cycles and have come to feel that surrogacy is the next logical step in the quest of parenthood. We never attempted IVF before as that would not help us because my wife is taking certain medications that are known to cause birth defects. Basically, we were advised to not pursue pregnancy. As far as we know, we are not infertile, but might as well be...

We thought of adoption, and still do I suppose, but with waitlists years out, this is not exactly an appealing option. Surrogacy, while expensive in the US, was extensively researched though. What ultimately drove us to Dr. Patel's clinic in Anand, India was not just the price though. In the US one must separately find a clinic, a surrogate and a lawyer. It became apparent rather quickly that this was a lot to juggle. A great clinic is very important, but so is a wonderful surrogate. They are not always in the same area and sometimes the surrogate will be adamant on using a certain clinic. There might also be an insistence on using her lawyer and contract; one that might not be exactly intended parent (IP) friendly. Also, there are clinics that won't proceed with certain surrogates, usually because of their size or BMI. It was very frustrating. One could get an agency to handle everything, but then the price really skyrockets toward $100k. With the economic downturn in 2008, money became much more of a factor as well for us. I'm guessing for others also...

My mom had sent to me an email in the Spring of 2008 about Dr. Patel and the Oprah show that had aired in the Fall of 2007. I emailed Dr. Patel shortly thereafter and secured a date about 6 months later...

We ultimately chose Dr. Patel because of the simplicity of having everything arranged or provided by her clinic, including the meds (no need source those elsewhere and hassle with airport security). What a relief. Also a factor of course is her wonderful success rates! And, given that an "attempt" (in late 2008) would just cost us about $10,000 USD (5,600 to her clinic, plus airfare, hotel, etc), it was the clear, logical choice, at least for us.

Oh, another factor is the positive impact the money has on the surrogate and her family. As with the life brought into the world, the money she receives with a successful pregnancy is life-altering. As I recall, she will get about $7,000 USD. When we were out there, we learned that a home can be purchased for about $2,500 USD. Money is often used by surrogates to put their children through college. I find it somewhat rewarding to know that both our lives, and that of our respective families, will be better off by virtue of this chance relationship.

What were some of the factors and considerations that influenced your decision in choosing to cycle with Dr. Patel in Anand, India?
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy
Father of 2 girls - Thanks Dr. Patel!

Re: Why Surrogacy and why with Dr. Patel in Anand, India

Postby Jackie_pbs » August 11th, 2011, 7:30 pm

Here is the latest documentary that was being filmed while I was at the Clinic.
It was filmed for "PBS's NewsHour" and aired this past Friday, August 5 2011.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/globalhealth/july-dec11/surrogates_08-05.html

As well, there will be a followup for PBS's "Religion and Ethics Newsweekly" that will air soon.
Jackie_pbs

Postby HammockGuy » February 20th, 2012, 12:13 am

Quite a few who choose to use Dr. Patel do so because of how she compensates her surrogates compared to other Indian clinics and cares for them, even afterwards. Here's some info on the insurance plan, including a link to a booklet...

The clinic charges $1,000 USD our of which $400 USD goes towards life insurance. The remaining go towards "The Anand Surrogate Trust".

Activities of Trust -

1 Distributing school books and bags

2 Distributing shawls and dress

3 Teaching them beauty parlor, tailoring, stitching, embroidering, spoken English courses

4 Taking care of the health and treatment of the surrogates even after delivery.

https://picasaweb.google.com/gobears89/ ... directlink
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy

Postby Madyson » March 19th, 2012, 7:29 pm

How well Dr. Patel cares for the surrogate was a big factor for me. Success rates are important as well, but I want to make sure the person who (hopefully) carries our child is well-cared for. This heart wrenching process is made a little easier knowing I may help in the lives of others.
Madyson

Postby yeremy87 » September 20th, 2012, 4:38 pm

I am planning in going to India, I would like to have parnthood but the proble is that I am HIV positive, can I go to Dr Patel clinic to join aprogramm?
I am desesperated
yeremy87

Postby spanky » September 20th, 2012, 8:06 pm

yeremy87, I am sure that is a difficult situation for you. I don't think anyone here can answer with any certainty though. Are you male or female? I don't know why it matters it or why she should care especially if you use donor egg or sperm. Ultimately you will need to decide if you are using donor or not and if you are going to mention your are HIV positive and then ask the Dr. herself..
spanky

Postby quarrybay » December 6th, 2012, 6:19 am

Hello! I just wonder how would you rate the support desk of Dr. Patel. I have been emailing them. They are very slow. I can squeeze one email out from 3-4 emails. And not all my questions are answered as well... Questions as "what time do I come to the clinic, What is cost of PGD, Have you seen my medical report"...

I have been calling as well since there not much success with emails.. I have difficult to get hold on someone. My calls would be on hold, passing one person to another. When I finally got Dr. She said she preferred "email but I can call if I am not satisfied"...The conversation is rush. I can't understand everything because of the accent. The background is very noisy as well....

Does anyone experience the same? Im going there very soon. In less than one month, but I'm thinking of switching clinics now... Please share your thought.
quarrybay

Postby spanky » December 6th, 2012, 2:08 pm

quarrybay, this is very normal. I think the best results will come from emails where you list questions very specifically and word them carefully so they can be easily answered in an unambiguous way.

I don't think I would decide not to use Dr. Nayana just because of this, but I agree it is frustrating and I am not sure why they are that way. I think she just likes to have direct contact rather than delegate customer support tasks. So this may actually be a good thing in some ways..

Anyhow, best of luck to you and is you have other questions just ask.
spanky

Postby quarrybay » December 7th, 2012, 2:13 am

Dear Spanky, Thank you for your prompt respond. It is shameful that I felt turned off by their support desk. As any patient would, I very much hoped that my treatment would unfold without mishap especially when we are going to a foreign country for such important chapter of our life...

My questions were fundamental. I tried to keep it simple and only asked what is necessary (such as pricing, confirmation of my arrival date and time, possible of gestational surrogacy with self-cycling base on my own eggs...) As time it's approaching, their respond (or shall I say lack of respond) is keeping me up at night. It is adding to my stress...What if they didn't mark down my appointment? What if I arrive and they decide not to use my eggs since they didn't go thru files i sent them? I need to say that many of you are very brave.

To ensure success we happily selected Anand and a reputable doctor such as Dr. Patel. However, much to our disappointment, during the phone conversation and email correspondence, I was turned away by failing and incompetent service. I trust the service won't improve after our payment...It kills me to think if they would treat me the same way once I investigate on my surro mom....Meanwhile, I have been in contact with other parents who had have positive experiences at other clinics that are located in Delhi.
quarrybay

Postby HammockGuy » December 19th, 2012, 1:59 pm

It's imperative, I feel, that we have some level of comfort with our choice. It's a big one. So, looking at various options is indeed prudent. Choose accordingly...

From our perspective, and from most I have encountered, there were less than ideal circumstances and experiences with respect to communications and dealings at times. Relative to what most of us are accustomed to, that can be quite difficult. As stated here on this forum, a certain amount of blind faith was necessary; and that's not easy...

Best to you quarrybay.
HammockGuy

Postby tobeamom » June 29th, 2013, 5:20 am

Re: Hello guys, I'm new to this forum and have been considering using Dr. Patel's clinic for a frozen embryo transfer using a surrogate and/or possibly a donor egg with surrogate. I am looking to get other's input on their experience with this clinic. Since I've just started considering this avenue to tackle my infertility issues needless to say I'm full of doubts, concerns, worries and questions. It would be great to hear from anyone who has recently utilized Dr. Patel's services. Thank you
tobeamom

Postby Renu » June 30th, 2013, 6:52 am

Hi Tobeamom,
Me and my husband went last month to Anand for ED with surrogacy.
Regarding the process ,very simple but worrisome ..However so many people have done it so we all will be able to go through this also..we felt bit confused at the clinic because everything is not organized as we see here in USA but each and everyone single person of dr.patel knows who you are and what you need..Dr.Patel..she is an amazing lady...looking at her you feel that she is doing all theses for her passion.She will not talk much and I think we all research so much before we go there so we also don't have many things to ask....Just pray to GOD.....
I felt really good and safe at her clinic.. And everone is so nice there ,very eager to help..Things will be done... Best of luck......
Renu

Postby shanebenchdp37 » September 4th, 2014, 10:06 pm

tobeamom wrote:Re: Hello guys, I'm new to this forum and have been considering using Dr. Patel's clinic for a frozen embryo transfer using a surrogate and/or possibly a donor egg with surrogate. I am looking to get other's input on their experience with this clinic. Since I've just started considering this avenue to tackle my infertility issues needless to say I'm full of doubts, concerns, worries and questions. It would be great to hear from anyone who has recently utilized Dr. Patel's services. Thank you

just a heads up, Dr. patel is really a good doctor when it comes to surrogacy, i suggest that you go with Dr. Patel and with their team they are experienced and they are known in India so you will not have any problem with it. Just be prepared and decide whether you will pursue this. They will really help you with your infertility.
shanebenchdp37

Return to Topic-focused Discussions