Gender Selection and Indian law

Gender Selection and Indian law

Postby HammockGuy » March 10th, 2009, 11:15 pm

We are currently 15 weeks pg, and while it's technically possible to determine and select gender, this is not an option for us; and we don't care. We want to become parents, of a healthy baby - boy or girl.

Being in the US, we see fertility clinics advertise the ability to have couples select the gender of their child. This is true in other countries also, but not in India where it is against the law. This 1994 Act was further amended and bolstered in 2003.

Don't even ask Dr. Patel this question. Not only is it the law, I sense that it is something that she strongly agrees with as well. Baby girls being aborted and disowned is extremely bothersome! Concerns about disrupting the male to female ratio over time has also been mentioned as an impetus behind this law...

Suffice it to say, if you want your IVF / surrogacy journey to assure you of a little boy or little girl, this is not the right clinic, nor the right country to satisfy that requirement. I think it's important to make that clear.

For those who don't know, gender selection can happen very, very early these days. Since it is the sperm that decides the sex by contributing either an X (girl) or Y (boy) chromosome, sperm screening methods are just one way to make this happen. Once the egg is fertilized and has become an embryo, after 3 to 5 days, PGD or preimplantation genetic diagnosis can be performed such that only embryos of the desired gender are transfered. Later, gender can be determined with an amniocintesis (amnio) or through images, like those provided with ultrasound scan. Such scans provided by Dr. Patel will not reveal the gender.

While we would probably like to know the gender of our child, given the aforementioned concerns, such information is not conveyed to the intended parents (IP's) due to fears of abandonment (failure to pick-up a baby of an unwanted sex). Like so many things in life, the actions of others, even a few, can ruin or erode the freedoms and choices for the those who have no such intentions. I always gripe about "this" when waiting in airport security lines also, but I of course understand and apprciate the reasons, as I do here...

If we are so fortunate to have our pregnancy go full term, and have a baby enter our life, we might want to try for a sibling someday. And to be honest, at this point-in-time, we would both prefer the "other" gender, whatever that might be... That said, we certainly would welcome another girl or boy!

I've heard a few couples talk of gender, so I hope this topic can be of some help...
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy
Father of 2 girls - Thanks Dr. Patel!

Re: Gender Selection and Indian law

Postby HammockGuy » August 11th, 2011, 8:50 pm

A friend from Australia just provided to me some information that is relevant to this discussion; and might interest some...

As stated above, India bans sonographers and doctors from telling parents the gender of their baby. It is a crime for a doctor in India to tell you, and actual court cases have recently occurred.

However, there is nothing stopping parents from interpreting the sonograms themselves. Apparently this can be done accurately.

The first window to determine the sex, is during the Week 11-13 scan that they do for the nuchal translucency test. See the attached document called "Fetal Sex determination at 11–14 weeks of gestation.pdf". Effectively, the "angle of the dangle" tells you the sex.

After Week 13, the window closes, and it is a wait before you can determine the gender again. Attached are some examples from Week 22 in the document "'Example Girl & Boy Sonograms - Week 22.pdf". When the sonographer is measuring the Femur Length, the genitals might be visible as well.

Good stuff!
Attachments
Example Girl & Boy Sonograms - Week 22.pdf
(273.24 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Fetal Sex determination at 11–14 weeks of gestation.pdf
(456.37 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy
Father of 2 girls - Thanks Dr. Patel!

Return to Topic-focused Discussions