How do I get my baby/ies home?! (country specific)

How do I get my baby/ies home?! (country specific)

Postby HammockGuy » March 13th, 2009, 6:54 pm

We have not reached this stage yet, but I will share soon what I know on how to do this for Americans. In the meantime, can someone step-up, and help those from other countries, like the UK, Canada or Australia? I know you are out there... Thanks.

If you have information for a particular country, please put that name at the end of the subject line such as:

"How do I get my baby/ies home?! US" or

"How do I get my baby/ies home?! Canada"

This will make searching easier...

Also, don't forget the Reference section on this forum. While it's still being rebuilt, it should offer once again very condensed information, namely links and attachment - country specific.

Here's one for the US:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=27
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy
Father of 2 girls - Thanks Dr. Patel!

Re: How do I get my baby/ies home?! US

Postby anchau » August 13th, 2011, 2:42 am

This was one of the posts on the old site posted by someone else that I still have. I thought it is useful and repost it here:

"The consulate does provide information on the surrogacy process. I've attached the two documents they email out here, one on the Consular Report of Births Abroad and one on DNA testing :

http://www.globaldoctoroptions.com/us-i ... e-baby/437
With regard to the FRRO - the key goal there is to get an exit visa for the baby. Some folks seem to use local help to navigate the FRRO. Others seem to go on their own. Either way, it's a long day. Feedback is that you can get the exit Visa on the same day if your flight is in the evening or on the next day. Information I've found so far is here:

http://www.globaldoctoroptions.com/fore ... t-visa/443

called to schedule an appointment with the US consulate for november 10 (a little bit of a guessing game and A LOT of pushiness with the consulate - they wanted to schedule us on November 25 - we said we needed an emergency appointment because we needed to get home - no other explanation was needed)
- they open at 9am and close at 5pm
- the earlier you get there the better off you are

- the waiting room filled quickly and was completely full by 9:30am.
- they send you paperwork in advance to complete to save time at the consulate
- both the regular and emergency passports cost the same $150 (they'll take cash, credit and rupees) the only difference is that the emergency passport expires in one year and you have to pay another $150 for another one a year later.
- Document needed:
+ the completed forms
+ our passports
+ a certified copy of our marriage certificate
+ each of our social security earnings statements
+ proof of residency - (utility bill works too)
+ baby's birth certificate from Anand
+ the original surrogacy agreement (Hitesh will give you the original file that will need to be returned to him -our hotel arranged for the file to be sent back via "blue dart" it's like fedex and cost $6 USD
+ they have a photographer to take baby's passport photos - the photographer is like a contractor and he just comes into the waiting area to take pictures and brings them back to you in the waiting room. two photos cost 300 rupees and you have to pay him rupees (won't take USD) separate from paying the consulate. you'll also need three additional passport photos for the frro so ask the photographer for five copies - two will go to the consulate and then you'll take the other three to the frro - extra rupees of course - plan on having at least 1000 rupees for the photos."
anchau

Re: How do I get my baby/ies home?! (country specific)

Postby HammockGuy » August 13th, 2011, 11:53 am

Anchau, thanks for the information. That is helpful for those of us in the US.

The U.S. Consulate in Mumbai, U.S. Citizen Services is the source of the documents we need. Here is a direct link to them and the most current documents:

http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/services.html

From there, click on Births Abroad and Citizenship, which takes one here:

http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/reporting ... tions.html

From there, one can make an appointment, and I'd recommend doing so as early as possible, and take note of the many Indian and U.S. holidays first...

I recommend printing these forms before leaving for India and make sure to gather all supporting documentation that might be necessary, as I think anchau covered quite well.
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy

Postby KPM » August 23rd, 2011, 2:09 pm

I compiled this list for my use. Hope it helps.

Visa Process in Mumbai
Consulate General of the United States- Mumbai India
78, Bhulabhai Desai Road, Mumbai 400 026
Reporting a birth abroad
Appointment and Interview
Appointments are required to file a Consular Report of a Birth Abroad. Appointments are available for American citizens Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Office is closed on the last Wednesday of every month and on U.S. and Indian holidays.
US and Indian Holidays:
August 19, 2011 Friday Parsi New Year Indian
August 31, 2011 Wednesday Ramzan-Id (Id-ul-Fitar) (Not for Ahmedabad USCS) Indian
September 1, 2011 Thursday Ganesh Chaturthi Indian
September 5, 2011 Monday Labor Day American
October 6, 2011 Thursday Dussehra Indian
October 10, 2011 Monday Columbus Day American
October 26, 2011 Wednesday Diwali (Laxmi Pujan) Indian
October 27, 2011 Thursday Diwali (Balipratipada) Indian

• Make an appointment online
• Documents needed –The list below covers both the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and the U.S. Passport.
• Proof of the parents' identity and citizenship, such as U.S. or other passports.
• Child's original birth certificate issued by the local authorities (including English translation, if applicable). The birth certificate must include the name of the child.
• Two (2) photo studio quality photographs of the child, 2" x 2" in size and taken against a light background. The child must be facing forward with his/her ears showing and eyes open
• Prenatal and hospital records (e.g., ultrasounds, prescriptions, evidence of pre-natal doctor visits, hospital discharge documents, vaccination card, etc.)
• The parents' marriage certificate, or other proof of their relationship prior to the child’s conception. (This is not required if the mother of the child is a U.S. citizen.).
• Proof of the U.S. citizen parent's physical presence in the U.S. (This is not required if BOTH parents are U.S. citizens.)
Complete and print following documents prior to the appointment but DO NOT SIGN THE FORMS UNTIL DIRECTED TO DO SO BY A CONSULAR OFFICER
1. DS-2029, Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad

2. Form SS-5-FS Application for a Social Security Card
3. Form DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport

Fees
Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) $100
Minor U.S. Passport (under age 16) $105
Last edited by KPM on August 26th, 2011, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KPM

Postby HammockGuy » August 23rd, 2011, 4:19 pm

Hope this helps?

KPM, that is apt to be the most helpful post on this new, resurrected forum!

THANK YOU. Giving back is something you've certainly done and it is most appreciated...

I'm going to reference this post in the Stage 4 conversation as this content is most certainly relevant there too...
HammockGuy

Postby KPM » August 24th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Hammockguy,
It's the least I can do to help you rebuild this forum after getting so much from it. Your forums was extremely useful when we were getting ready to go and I practically lived in it. So Thank you.
KPM

Postby HammockGuy » September 13th, 2011, 11:26 pm

For US citizens who get asked to do a DNA test by the US Consulate, I was recently provided this list of accredited companies:

State Organization Name City Country Phone Number
AZ Chromosomal Laboratories, Inc. Phoenix United States 1 (877) 434-0292
CA Andergene Labs Oceanside United States 1 (877) 899-5700
CA Genetic Profiles Corp. San Diego United States 1 (800) 551-7763
CA Universal Genetics, LLC Los Angeles United States 1 (888) 362-5228
IL Independent Forensics of Illinois Lombard United States 1 (866) 434-2400
IN Indiana Blood Center Indianapolis United States 1 (800) 632-4722
MD BRT Laboratories, Inc. Baltimore United States 1 (410) 225-9595
MN Memorial Blood Centers St. Paul United States 1 (800) 982-9134
MO Genetic Technologies, Inc. Glencoe United States 1 (877) 451-4363
MO Paternity Testing Corporation Columbia United States 1 (888) 837-8323
MS Legal Genetics, Inc. Ocean Springs United States 1 (800) 362-4363
NC Laboratory Corporation of America Holdings Burlington United States 1 (877) 370-1129
NJ Clinical Testing and Research, Inc. Ridgewood United States 1 (888) 837-5267
NM Genetic Testing Laboratory/NMSU Las Cruces United States 1 (575) 646-3465
OH Cuyahoga County Regional Forensic Science Laboratory Cleveland United States 1 (216) 698-4271
OH DDC/DNA Diagnostics Center Fairfield United States 1 (800) 310-9742
OH Genetica DNA Laboratories Inc Cincinnati United States 1 (800) 433-6848
OH Orchid Cellmark Dayton United States 1 (800) 362-8378
OK DNA Solutions, Inc. Oklahoma City United States 1 (405) 271-6033
OK Oklahoma State University Human Identity Testing Tulsa United States 1 (800) 299-7919
OR American Red Cross Blood Services Portland United States 1 (800) 922-3998
RI Rhode Island Blood Center Providence United States 1 (401) 453-8353
SC IntelliGenetics, LLC Hilton Head United States 1 (843) 686-4455
SD Identity Genetics, Inc. Brookings United States 1 (605) 697-5300
TX Bio Synthesis, Inc. Lewisville United States 1 (800) 362-3926
TX Center For Medical Genetics-Dad Test Houston United States 1 (713) 790-1990
TX DNA Reference Laboratory San Antonio United States 1 (210) 692-3800
TX Genealogy By Genetics DBA DNA Findings Houston United States 1 (832) 381-5410
TX Orchid Cellmark, Inc. Dallas United States 1 (800) 362-8378
TX University of North Texas Ft. Worth United States 1 (817) 735-5014
UT Affiliated Genetics Salt Lake City United States 1 (800) 362-5559
UT Identigene LLC/Sorenson Genomics Salt Lake City United States 1 (888) 404-4363
VA Fairfax Identity Laboratories Richmond United States 1 (800) 482-3025
WA Genelex Corporation Seattle United States 1 (800) 523-6487
WV Marshall University Huntington United States 1 (888) 362-2633
HammockGuy

Postby spanky » September 14th, 2011, 2:51 am

I would add that it would be wise to also check with the AABB directly via http://www.aabb.org/sa/facilities/Pages ... crFac.aspx as I assume this list could change over time.

And probably to also check the consulate or embassy web site to follow their instructions carefully as they could also change over time.
spanky

Postby anchau » October 30th, 2011, 6:36 am

I am preparing to get all the document in order for US consulate and have a question that I hope someone would share. One of set of documents that is required by US Consulate is the Prenatal and hospital records (e.g., ultrasounds, prescriptions, evidence of pre-natal doctor visits, hospital discharge documents, vaccination card, surrogate contract, etc.) . Can someone please share if Dr. Patel will provide all these legal and medical documents or we have to request for it and/or print out what she has sent us up to this point?

Thanks
anchau

Postby mira » October 30th, 2011, 8:14 am

Dear Anchau

As far as I know Dr Patel will provide all these documents during baby pick-up. She maintains a file of ultrasound, blood work reports, which she also shares over email. Contract along with this file of documents will be provided. I had requested for contract over email and was able to get it.

I suggest you take print of all documentation you got over email (if possible) and in case some of the document is not provided during baby pick-up, you can request for the same.

All the best!
mira

Postby anchau » October 31st, 2011, 9:31 am

Thanks Mira for your response!

I am going to request the contract from Dr. Patel also to make sure that I have it.
anchau

Postby Beagle » October 31st, 2011, 4:09 pm

Hello, this the Beagle's better half!
I am starting to worry about feeding our twins on the almost 24 hour flight home. I think that with 2 hourly feeds it means that we need 24 sterilized bottles - I will take premixed formula for feeding, but 24 bottles!
Can anyone advise? We have a 3 hour stopover in Singapore - are there facilities to sterilize bottles? The Changi website has very little detail.
Help!
Father to 2 beautiful girls.
Beagle

Postby spanky » October 31st, 2011, 4:26 pm

Hi, we used disposable ready to feed Similac for our flight home (about 22 hours):
http://www.amazon.com/Similac-Expert-Ca ... 401&sr=1-2

These sterile, disposable nipples fit the bottles:
http://www.amazon.com/10-Enfamil-Dispos ... _sim_hpc_5

It may be a lot to carry, but totally worth it in my opinion.

The soft, slow flow nipple was really good for our premature girl. It let her drink slow and steady as they should. She only now at 4.5 months of age has started using regular newborn nipples.
spanky

Postby Beagle » November 2nd, 2011, 2:47 am

Thanks Spanky that is exactly what I need.

For the other Australians Similiac isn't sold here but i am looking into a similar Nestle product, will compare to Similiac and post.

Not sure how long it will take to ship from the US but will email them and find out :D

Edit or perhaps this http://kinderbaby.com.au/Html/howitworks.html

BeagleWife
Father to 2 beautiful girls.
Beagle

Postby roger » June 15th, 2012, 11:10 pm

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the wonderful information here. We are expecting twins around mid-july. We used donor eggs so based on everything we have heard, we are going to pre-order the DNA test kit. If anyone has experience with this, could you help me understand how the test works (apologies in advance for the many questions :) )

* When do I order the kit? Is it ok if I order it several days in advance of my appointment?
* Will I get the DNA kit shipped to the US embassy in Mumbai? If so, how does the embassy know that I have shipped them the kit? Do I need to contact the embassy to inform them about the DNA kit that would be arriving for us?
* Does the embassy conduct the test? I am assuming that would be done the day we go for our appointment to get 'certificate of birth abroad'? Is this correct?
* I also hear that it takes a week to get back the results, so would the embassy give us a new date to return?
* When we return to the embassy to get the results of the test, will we be able to get the Certificate of birth and the passport the same day? (we plan on requesting the emergency passport service).

Thanks in advance to anyone who has experience with this process and could help answer the questions above.
roger

Postby roger » July 2nd, 2012, 1:27 am

spanky wrote:Hi, we used disposable ready to feed Similac for our flight home (about 22 hours):
http://www.amazon.com/Similac-Expert-Ca ... 401&sr=1-2

These sterile, disposable nipples fit the bottles:
http://www.amazon.com/10-Enfamil-Dispos ... _sim_hpc_5

It may be a lot to carry, but totally worth it in my opinion.

The soft, slow flow nipple was really good for our premature girl. It let her drink slow and steady as they should. She only now at 4.5 months of age has started using regular newborn nipples.

Hi Spanky, thanks for the great tip. Since these are liquid, and would be in the carry-on, did you have trouble going through security at the aiport? I will be flying through Doha/Qatar. Which airport did you go through and did the security give you any hassle?

Thanks in advance!

Roger
roger

Next

Return to Topic-focused Discussions