How do I get my baby/ies home?! (country specific)

Re: How do I get my baby/ies home?! (country specific)

Postby rabbit3872 » July 3rd, 2012, 10:45 am

We brought the ready made formulas in our carry on's and didn't have any trouble....and we brought a ton of them since we were expecting it to take 26 hours to get home. Security would ask what they were and we just showed them the baby and told them they were for the baby and they let us go with no issues. We flew out of Mumbai. One of the security ladies in Mumbai didn't understand why I wasn't breast feeding and she kept asking over and over why I wasn't. I just told her that I couldn't and needed the formula.
rabbit3872

Postby anchau » July 3rd, 2012, 7:08 pm

roger wrote:Hi,

Thanks everyone for the wonderful information here. We are expecting twins around mid-july. We used donor eggs so based on everything we have heard, we are going to pre-order the DNA test kit. If anyone has experience with this, could you help me understand how the test works (apologies in advance for the many questions :) )

* When do I order the kit? Is it ok if I order it several days in advance of my appointment?
* Will I get the DNA kit shipped to the US embassy in Mumbai? If so, how does the embassy know that I have shipped them the kit? Do I need to contact the embassy to inform them about the DNA kit that would be arriving for us?
* Does the embassy conduct the test? I am assuming that would be done the day we go for our appointment to get 'certificate of birth abroad'? Is this correct?
* I also hear that it takes a week to get back the results, so would the embassy give us a new date to return?
* When we return to the embassy to get the results of the test, will we be able to get the Certificate of birth and the passport the same day? (we plan on requesting the emergency passport service).

Thanks in advance to anyone who has experience with this process and could help answer the questions above.

Hi Roger,
To answer some of your questions:
US embassy does not conduct the test, but one of the officer will be present when a technician from a local hospital gets the sample DNA. On the day of your DNA testing, you will have to go to the hospital per US consulate instructions in the morning to paid for the test. You then bring paid stub to the US consulate at your interview and test appointment. Plan to be in Mumbai the day before your appointment so you have time to get things done. If you preorder the DNA Kits, then US consulate will process the CBA, DNA test, and passport application on the same day.

US Consulate will issue your emmergency passport the same day the they recieve your DNA test results if your DNA result is good. Your DNA testing agency would let you know the approximate date when they would have the DNA test results so you can plan to pick it up. US Consulate does accept electronic test results via email so you should be getting you passport the same day or next day after the DNA result sent to US consulate.

The CBA will be sent to you at your US mailing address. You will recieve a letter from US Consulate regarding you children which you will use along with your children's passport to get the exit VISA from Indian Authority either in Mumbai or Anand.

Our flight was also through Doha/Qatar airline and has no problem with liquid ready fomular with security. It made life a lot easier with ready made formula during flight.

Come to the airport 3-4 hours early for your departure flight so you can reserve Bassinate seat for you babies since these are first comes first served.
anchau

Postby roger » July 3rd, 2012, 9:49 pm

Hi Rabbit and Anchau,

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

@Rabbit, I am surprised that security allowed the milk bottles. I hope I have the same experience. It's funny that the security lady was so concerned about your baby. We will prepare ourselves for similar comments/questions :)

@Anchau, thanks again for your continued help through this process. I will make sure to set extra time for the DNA testing. I was thinking of being in Mumbai on the date of the appointment. I am glad that I asked about the process.

Thanks!
roger

Postby Mirandy68 » September 24th, 2012, 8:29 am

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I actually just emailed Dr Patel for the first time inquiring about surrogacy. I am currently 28 and my husband 29. Gone through 3 IVF treatments and Clomid resulting in a miscarriage at 6 weeks and a chemical pregnancy. Now my uterine tissue is progressing into something that can lead to cancer due to so much estrogen exposure. Being treated for it now but feel that surrogacy is the right step for us. My question and worry about having a surrogate in India or any country for that matter is, what stops the surrogate from leaving and taking the baby? Are there legal contracts signed? Are they closely monitored so that they cannot leave? Being that I will be in the United States and them in India, I just need some peace of mind. Please let me know how that works? Thank you soo much for any help or info I can get!! My prayers are with everyone going through this amazing venture. It is truly a miracle what Dr Patel is offering.
Mirandy68

Postby Mirandy68 » September 24th, 2012, 8:31 am

Sorry, one more question. Do the surrogates have ANY rights to the baby once born? I know in United States they have some rights. Thanks again
Mirandy68

Postby Mnana » September 24th, 2012, 11:31 am

once you go back India to take your baby, is it necessary to mention the travel purpose as surrogacy when you apply for the visa?
Mnana

Postby spanky » September 24th, 2012, 7:30 pm

Mirandy68 wrote:Sorry, one more question. Do the surrogates have ANY rights to the baby once born? I know in United States they have some rights. Thanks again

Hi Mirandy68, Technically at this moment there is no law regulating surrogacy in India. This is one of the reasons it has become so popular.. I understand your concerns, but I would say that in India for a variety of reasons you are probably less likely to have an issue with this then western countries. One reason is that the surrogates are poor and because of their culture they would want nothing to do with a baby that is not biologically connected to them. Especially if it is not Indian. Yes, there are contracts signed, but if you ever got to that point it would be up to the lawyers to sort out.. The surrogates are very grateful and lucky to work with Dr. Patel and she takes good care to make sure things like that don't happen. In the end you will have to roll the dice and have trust which can be very hard to do, but I can tell you I have never heard of any case of a surrogate wanting to keep a baby. The odds of something like this happening seem nearly impossible in my opinion.

Good luck to you.
spanky

Postby spanky » September 24th, 2012, 7:32 pm

Hi Mnana, I would suggest not saying anything to anyone who doesn't ask. I have heard a few cases of people getting medical visa because it seemed appropriate, but in the end it caused a variety of troubles. Just get a tourist visa and don't offer information to people that you don't need to.

Good luck.

Mnana wrote:once you go back India to take your baby, is it necessary to mention the travel purpose as surrogacy when you apply for the visa?
spanky

Postby Mirandy68 » September 25th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Hi Spanky,

Thanks so much for the info/reassurance. I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone had heard of incidents. I can't imagine anyone would want to take the baby because I know what they are doing as surrogates is a life changing experience for them. Are you in the process of surrogacy right now?
Mirandy68

Postby spanky » September 25th, 2012, 1:47 pm

Hi, we have a baby girl 15 months old thanks to Dr. Patel (and Dr. Anita at NICU) We had 4 tries there. Twice with my wife's eggs and twice with donor eggs. The 4th try with donor eggs was the winner for us.. Good luck on your journey. It is not easy, but keep your eye on the goal and if you are persistent things will work out.

Mirandy68 wrote:Hi Spanky,

Thanks so much for the info/reassurance. I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone had heard of incidents. I can't imagine anyone would want to take the baby because I know what they are doing as surrogates is a life changing experience for them. Are you in the process of surrogacy right now?
spanky

Postby Mnana » September 29th, 2012, 11:44 am

Thanks spanky...
Mnana

Postby Mnana » February 7th, 2013, 4:56 am

Ithink this blog is really helpful with full of details about air traveling with the baby http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com/
Mnana

Postby slinky » February 4th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Hi

we are arriving into India on the 1st March 2014, for the birth of our babies.

If anyone has been through the UK process and is happy to share any experiences, we would love to hear from them.

thanks
bee
x
slinky

Postby poplars » February 28th, 2014, 11:48 pm

We picked up our twins in April 13 and following a 3 month stint in Anand got our girls home in June13.
In essence for the UK, you need to obtain British Citizenship first via the MN1 form , we do have a direct contact at the UKBA which I will forward to you either via DR Nayana Patel or a PM to us.
Next it is the C2 for the UK Passport thus took the longest.
Good luck there is light at the end of the tunnel, it may he'll to get your MP involved if your still in the UK.

KR

Poplars
poplars

Postby IPKNUK » March 3rd, 2014, 12:09 am

Hi We are from the UK.

The rules for the UK are you will need to wait 6 weeks for the surrogate to relinquish here rights then you can start the process to get home. it can take around 12 weeks or so.

Employ a UK solicitor to start you paperwork and be advised by them as you go
IPKNUK

Postby angelwish » April 11th, 2014, 10:31 am

Hello Group. This form is so much help and guide you throughout the process. I have one question for group memebers who used egg donors. When you get the certificate of Birth Abroad from US Counslate to bring your baby home only father's name is listed on the birth certificate even though birth certificate from India has both parents names on it. Does the mother need to follow any other procedure to be legal mother of the child e.g for school admission or any legal matters for your child. My baby is ready to go to pre K and I want to clarify before her school admission.
angelwish

PreviousNext

Return to Topic-focused Discussions