Money Matters

Re: Money Matters

Postby redsox » September 7th, 2011, 11:26 am

Thanks so much - that is how I was reading it. That's perfect - I really appreciate you answering!!!! Thanks again
redsox

Postby anchau » October 17th, 2011, 9:14 am

Can someone please share how much it costs to get exit Visa for baby from FRRO in Anand? I am thinking of using the Driver to help, but not sure how much the whole process costs.

Thanks,
An Chau
anchau

Postby spanky » October 17th, 2011, 9:49 am

anchau wrote:Can someone please share how much it costs to get exit Visa for baby from FRRO in Anand? I am thinking of using the Driver to help, but not sure how much the whole process costs.

Thanks,
An Chau

We used Uday recently and as I recall it was-

3700 Rs. for FRRO fees
5000 Rs. "bribe" money
2500 Rs. for Uday to drive to Gandhinagar and back

There have been some changes with this process recently as an official has moved from Anand to another town and there are some different players involved. The exit visa actually comes from Gandhinagar now.

Uday definitely knows what to do and how to do it and I can recommend using him.

We did not have to travel to Gandhinagar although some other couples did. We only had to show up at the Anand police department briefly with our baby to have a paper stamped by the police chief.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.
spanky

Postby anchau » October 17th, 2011, 4:56 pm

Thanks Spanky for the details $ numbers.
Is this cost per baby or same for Twins?

Thanks.
anchau

Postby spanky » October 17th, 2011, 8:32 pm

That was for one. I would expect it might be higher, but probably not double. At least the 2500 trip should stay the same.
spanky

Postby anchau » October 18th, 2011, 3:26 pm

I am not sure how other folks book airfare tickets, but we normally used Expedia.com and makemytrip.com on our prior trips. We tried the same agencies this time, but the price is around $1600.00 / person for Nov. and Dec. So we searched around and found out that book directly from the airline is sometime cheaper. In our case, Qatar Airways listed around $1600.0 in Expedia, but from Qatar Airway website, we only paid $1321.00 / person for the same departure and return dates. Qatar has been rated 8 out of 10, but we have never flew on Qatar. Like the saving and I will report back on how it works out with Qatar flight.
anchau

Postby rabbit3872 » November 15th, 2011, 8:11 am

Hi everyone,
I was not sure where to post this, but since it has to do with money, I thought I'd stick it here. I read on one of the posts that on the old website, there was info that people posted on gifts for the surrogate after the birth of the child. I was just wondering what gifts are acceptable and what was not? I just wanted to get a general idea of what we should do. Someone posted that recently when their children were born, immediately they were told they needed to give their surrogate gifts/money. I just wanted to know what everyone thought about this and what they planned to do. Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated. I know it's personal, so you can email me if you don't want to post a reply. We just wanted to make sure we were doing what we were supposed to do. We didn't want to give too much and then the surrogates may expect that from everyone. And we didn't want to give too little and offend them. Thanks much everyone...we love this website!
rabbit3872

Postby spanky » November 15th, 2011, 10:35 am

Hi Rabbit, I just touched on this on another thread, but let me say in general I think you should decide how much cash you would like to give and then give it at the end of your journey when you say goodbye to your surrogate and her family. My feeling is that they are fairly treated and compensated for what they do from Dr. Nayana and it is really a bonus for you to give them more because you want to and are able to. However, keep in mind they really are extremely poor compared to us to a degree that is hard to even comprehend.

That said, it can just create a very uncomfortable situation if you give gifts or money in the beginning because then it is likely you will be visited by the rest of the surrogates family as they try very nicely to extract more money and gifts from you.

Our own experience was that our surrogate and family came asking us for things even as our baby was in NICU and lucky to be alive and we weren't sure if should would even survive. I finally had to have someone tell them to leave us alone and that we would contact them when we were ready to talk to them and give them anything. We then did give 20,000 Rs before we left.

We also gave 10,000 Rs to Rama hotel staff before we left, but we were there for many months. Their longest staying guests ever we were told ;) The concept still hold though. Rather then giving small tips to the dozen or so hotel staff you will likely interact with, just let them know that you will take care of them before you go. This has the added benefit of giving them incentive to treat you well until then.

Another thing I think everyone should consider is giving to some local charities. We asked Dr. Anita because we trusted her to find some needy charities and we ended up giving money to a leper colony (did you even know they still existed?) and to another group that helped very poor women and children.

I would say that you should think about how much money you want to give away ahead of time, and think about who and when you want to give it. But, then when you are in Anand focus on the task at hand and your baby(s).
spanky

Postby Beagle » November 17th, 2011, 2:42 am

Hi all, was trying to withdraw 5000rs from the ATM downstairs from Rama and near the IVF clinic with no luck. I think the error was something like card reading error.

I then tried the Indian bank further down and had the same error, I then tried 3000 rs and it worked. So I am guessing the withdraw limit is very low, and don't panic like I did when it came back with an error, try a lower denomination :D
Father to 2 beautiful girls.
Beagle

Postby snv1979 » November 22nd, 2011, 8:08 am

The ATM / Cash Machines can only dispense 40 currency notes at a time. If they run out of higher denominations, then you can only withdraw Rs. 3000 (Rs.100 x 30).

ICICI Bank down the road from Rama has a limit of Rs. 10000 for each withdrawal.

The trick is to do multiple withdrawals, unless you would be hit by minimum withdrawal fees per withdrawal.

The other problem that I have faced (and also mentioned earlier) is that the ATMs are shut when there is a power failure.
snv1979

Postby Beagle » November 24th, 2011, 12:56 am

ah cool thanks SNV1979, that makes sense.

We got asked by the NICU to pay 41000rs cash only (no transfer or credit card) and was worried that we would have hate to take amounts over a few days. However I got the full amount by doing multiple wirhdrawls.

As a side not you will need to be prepared for a seperate bill from the NICU, this doesnt go through the Patels and they have told us cash only.

cheers all.
Father to 2 beautiful girls.
Beagle

Postby rabbit3872 » November 24th, 2011, 11:24 am

I have a question for anyone who has recently been over to pick up their child/children regarding money/tips paid at the birth of the child. When I did the IVF, directly afterwards a bunch of nurses or office workers (we're not sure which they were) came up to my husband and said he needed to give them tips. It wouldn't have been a big deal except we weren't expecting to be asked by the nurses for money. I hadn't heard anyone mention this yet. My husband wasn't prepared since he thought he was just going to be there with me as I woke up from surgery and we didn't realize tips were expected right away. He gave them something but didn't really have much money on him that day. This incident made me think a little further into the future and I wondered what type of tips would be required on the day our child is born? Just thought I'd check with some of you that have gone before to find out what your experience was. We wanted to be prepared a little more this time and we didn't want to offend any of the staff or nurses if tips are expected at that time. This way, hopefully we'll have the money ready and there won't be too many surprises.
rabbit3872

Postby KPM » November 26th, 2011, 9:53 pm

Hi Rabbit

No one ever asked for tips from us when we were there for IVF in January but later we figured out that the nurses treated us much better and things got done quickly if you tip them (sad but its true). We had to do this becuase I was admitted to Dr. Patel's clinic for 5 days after the retrival and I was very sick. We did not know the nurse that comes to the hotel room at night to give the trigger injection expect a tip. We later found out that she was unhappy we did not tip her and so we eneded up giving her some money. Once we went to pick up the babies, we only saw the Patel staff once or twice. You really don't get to deal with them anymore. Our babies were transferred to Dr. Anita's NICU and the nurses there are more professional. They don't expect any gifts or tips. We gave them some gifts before we left but you don't have to worry about tipping them.

I think we got lucky with our surrogate. She was a very nice caring woman and she never ever asked for a thing from us. We took gifts for the whole family from the US (they love American things) and also gave her Rs. 10,000. We took handbags, perfume, sweaters for the surrogate and clothes for the husband and kids ( she loved the handbags and perfume). We also brought a laptop for the family however did not give it to them when we realized that they could not operate it and that they will most probably sell it to someone.
KPM

Postby KPM » December 7th, 2011, 8:30 pm

anchau wrote:Can someone please share how much it costs to get exit Visa for baby from FRRO in Anand? I am thinking of using the Driver to help, but not sure how much the whole process costs.

Thanks,
An Chau

We used Indrajeet and he charged Rs14,000 for twins and Rs.3000 for the trip to Ahmedabad. Indu filed the papers with the local police and the next day my husband went to Gandhinagar with him. Then we had to take the babies to the local police station Whole process took us about 3-4 days.
KPM

Is this tax deductable?

Postby nanokiss » January 28th, 2012, 6:23 pm

If go for surrogate is the money Tax deductable in USA?
nanokiss

Re: Is this tax deductable?

Postby spanky » January 28th, 2012, 7:10 pm

nanokiss wrote:If go for surrogate is the money Tax deductable in USA?

In general, yes. IVF and surrogacy are medical expenses and medical expenses are deductible. I also deducted airfare, hotel, food, etc. Check with your accountant or turbo-tax and irs.gov to be sure.

I found this:
You can include in medical expenses the cost of the following procedures to overcome an inability to have children.

Procedures such as in vitro fertilization (including temporary storage of eggs or sperm).

at http://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/ar ... 1000178933

Surrogacy is not specifically mentioned..
spanky

PreviousNext

Return to Topic-focused Discussions