Tests, tests and yet more tests...

Tests, tests and yet more tests...

Postby HammockGuy » March 24th, 2009, 7:36 pm

As with tests during school, there are exams throughout the entire process and these too are done to evaluate and ascertain status so prudent decisions can be made.

This topic is broad as it welcomes the tests we often take as a prelude to the IVF process, those to see if we are pregnant, and the many during the course of pregancy...

As far as the tests performed before going to Anand, for the gals, these often at look at FSH, Prolactine, TSH, Estradiol and LH levels. This is typically done at day 2 of a cycle. Dr. Patel asked for this from us, and I believe does so for most... Actually, just prior to the blood work, my wife went for antral follicle exam. We were quite happy that each ovary had about 7 follicles.

For the guys, a semen analysis is prudent, and again, Dr. Patel might ask for one. As I said in the IVF Preparations thread, there is quite a bit us guys can do to improve the viability of the sperm. Given that sperm is produced from 65 to 74 days in advance, start early... Among other factors, the test will look at overall count, motility, morphology and abnormalities.

As discussed in the Stage 1 thread, our insurance covered these pre-IVF tests. I believe for many couples this is the case.

Once IVF is complete, and the transfer performed, the two week wait (2ww) begins! It takes about two weeks to determine if at least one embryo has stuck, making for a pregnancy. The most common test performed is the hCG test. There's the qualitative hCG which test detects if hCG is present in the blood, and the seemingly much more used quantitative hCG test (or beta hCG) which measures the amount of hCG actually present in the blood. Typically, this is just referred to as the Beta number. Generally, you'll want to see this number double every 48 to 72 hours. Please keep-in-mind that this doubling should only happen for this first 8-11 weeks of pregnancy, where it should peak, and then actually decline. If you are at this point, you'll find Understanding Beta #'s quite helpful...

And once it is determined that you're pg, there will be plenty more tests to keep you on pins & needles for the next several months! You'll get your share of ultrasound scans, double and triple marker test and you will be wanting to better understand free beta hCG, PAPP-A values, nuchal translucency or NT (fluid at the back of the baby's neck), nasal bone presence, and more...

While I won't delve into all of those now (please ask though), since we just got our 17 week scan, here are the acronyms explained:

BPD = Biparietal Diameter (head measurement, ear-to-ear distance)
OFD = Occipito-Frontal Diameter (head measurement, back-to-front of head distance)
HC = Head Circumference (distance around the head, think hat-size)
FL = Femur Length (the thigh bone, or longest bone in our bodies)
AC = Abdominal Circumference (stomach area or waist size)
HUM = Humerus (aka "the funny bone" or upper arm)

Before I forget, I'd like to share that the above was provided and confirmed by another IF who is several weeks ahead of us in the process; and he has been most helpful in sharing the knowledge that he has accumulated so as to make it easier for me, and now us here by virtue of this topic. I prefer to give credit where it is due...

Also, on this scan are ratios of the above measurements and what are deemed to me normal ranges. Apparently FL lengths tend to be less than normal fairly often, impacting those ratios as well. Also provided is the standard deviation (SD) range, and there it can be seen that the range can vary quite a bit and be fine. After doing some reading, it seems that the Cephalic Index CI is generally considered one of the more important ratios as it looks at the two head measurements (BPD/OFD). Oh, AF means amniotic fluid. Our report concluded with language stating that there are no fetal malformations and that fetal growth & AF are normal. We are to have the triple marker results in a few days... I hope that was of some help.

So, this is the place for such focus, whether it be to talk about the pre-IVF tests, beta numbers to see if your pg, or the tests to see how the baby/ies are progressing.
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy
Father of 2 girls - Thanks Dr. Patel!

Global Visas

Postby theja999 » February 15th, 2012, 2:23 am

global visas can be granted on arrival or by prior application at the country's embassy or consulate, or through a private visa service specialized in the issuance of international travel documents.
theja999

Re: Tests, tests and yet more tests...

Postby HappyFamily » March 11th, 2012, 12:46 am

NEWBORN TESTS:

Does anyone know what Dr. Patel does for testing newborns immediately after birth? I know Dr. Patel does a very good job listing what tests she does during pregnancy, but I have not seen anything about after birth. My wife and I have been reading a few books that suggest that newborns have the following:

- Newborn Metabolic Screening / PKU test
- Hearing tests / OEA & ABR
- Vitamin K shot

Anything you know would be great!
HappyFamily

Postby HappyFamily » March 11th, 2012, 12:55 am

GROUP B STREPTOCOCCUS (GBS) TEST:

We were going through the list of tests that Dr. Patel sends out and compared them to common prenatal tests. One test that I wasn't sure about was whether she tests for Group B Streptococcus (GBS), a bacteria that can be found in the birth canal. A lot of complications can be avoided if the test comes positive and antibiotics are given prior to birth. Perhaps the test isn't needed for c-sections?
HappyFamily

Postby anchau » March 14th, 2012, 5:50 pm

HappyFamily wrote:NEWBORN TESTS:

Does anyone know what Dr. Patel does for testing newborns immediately after birth? I know Dr. Patel does a very good job listing what tests she does during pregnancy, but I have not seen anything about after birth. My wife and I have been reading a few books that suggest that newborns have the following:

- Newborn Metabolic Screening / PKU test
- Hearing tests / OEA & ABR
- Vitamin K shot

Anything you know would be great!

Your babies will be tranferred to a pediatrician right after birth. Dr. Patel does not deal with babies after birth. Any required test for your babies will be done by the Pediatrician, who will most likely be Dr. Anita.
anchau

Postby HappyFamily » March 21st, 2012, 1:14 pm

Thank you An! Do you have Dr. Anita's contact information?
HappyFamily

Postby spanky » March 21st, 2012, 2:30 pm

I responded via email because I didn't want to post her info without her permission..

HappyFamily wrote:Thank you An! Do you have Dr. Anita's contact information?
spanky

Postby HappyFamily » March 21st, 2012, 3:02 pm

Thanks Spanky, I got it!
HappyFamily

Postby goneloco » May 6th, 2012, 2:36 pm

Hello Happyfamily - Can you also email me Dr Anita's email address. Does anyone know what vaccinations Dr Anita does for Newborns?
goneloco

Postby anchau » May 6th, 2012, 6:10 pm

Dr. Anita does not give new born any vaccination. Your pediatrician will do it on your regular checkup at home.
anchau

Return to Topic-focused Discussions