Awaiting twins???

Awaiting twins???

Postby HammockGuy » August 11th, 2011, 11:46 pm

Place-holder...

This discussion will be for those who have two little ones in the oven. It was a recently added topic in the old forum...

I will attempt to add content later, but given that we didn't have twins, I'm not much of a resource on this subject. Others, feel free share your experiences.
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy
Father of 2 girls - Thanks Dr. Patel!

Re: Awaiting twins???

Postby Beagle » August 14th, 2011, 11:44 pm

Be great to have some old posters add here :D :D

My DW and I are debating on bringing a stroller to Anand versus a sling. Both options seem reasonable however I am keen to hear real life experience on taking twins through airports, negotiating Anand footpaths :D and then heading to Delhi.

We are definitely bringing a portable cot (found a good one in Baby Bunting in Aus will get model from wife).

Any other twin lessons learnt would be great of you can post !
Father to 2 beautiful girls.
Beagle

Postby HammockGuy » August 14th, 2011, 11:55 pm

No twins here, so I'm not a source of knowledge on this one...

That said, I would not bring a stroller. And if you really want one, they can be purchased once there. The terrain there sucks. Slings do the job, and keep your hands free.

With not even 30 members, I hope someone with twins will chime-in soon...
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy
Father of 2 girls - Thanks Dr. Patel!

Postby KPM » August 15th, 2011, 6:22 am

Hi Beagle,

We are also expecting twins and heading to Anand first week of September. I am also interested in hearing other parent's experience on handling multiples. Our pediatrician recommended using car seats if possible since they are traveling for long hours. But he did not have a problem with a sling. It is going to cost us though. The airlines are charging $130 or so for additional baggage and they told me the car seats will be charged as baggage (from US to India). However, it is free on the return trip since we have the babies.

We are also debating about slings. Is it safe for newborns? Can someone share their experience on traveling with multiples?

KPM
KPM

Postby Beagle » August 17th, 2011, 3:56 pm

Hi, I agree with not bringing the pram because of streets. My DW who hasn't been to Anand as yet is determined - bless her Virgo socks - to get a pram. I am all for the slings however there are weight restrictions on the ones I have seen in Oz, I am thinking with twins that they may be tooo small?
Beagle

Postby Beagle » September 16th, 2011, 3:41 pm

Bump..

Any twin advice :) please
Beagle

Postby anchau » October 20th, 2011, 3:30 pm

We're planning on using Sling to take our Twins home. We bought a couple of Moby Wrap from Craiglist, washed and ready to go.

Video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcIlGUCG6mE

We got our 31 weeks scanned report today and babies are normal, but one is smaller than the other by about 1lb. So we're concerned. I am not sure if that is normal for twins and wondering if any other couples with Twins have the same issue.
anchau

Postby KPM » November 24th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Our son's were born on Sept: 10th. We had such a great experience and the Surrogate was so wonderful. I have been meaning to comment here about our experience but have been super busy with the twins. Looking back...everything we went through feels like a dream now.

Traveling-
We took two car seats and a Baby Trend Double Snap-n-Go. It's a light weight collapsible frame where you can put the car seats and turn it into a stroller. It became very handy on our trip to Mumbai, visit to the consulate and our trip back to USA. Unless you have a third person to help you, it is very difficult to juggle everything. We did not want to use a sling because the twins were premature (35 weeks). The roads are very bumy and I was so glad we had the car seats because the seats are sturdy and twins were safe in that hour long bumpy ride to Ahmedabad. Also, we had to take them to the FRRO office, Dr. Anita (the pediatrician) and the car seats were very useful in all these trips. I was mostly concerend about their safety and they looked so fragile at that time.

At the airports in India, we requested for help. During our trip to Mumbai and our trip back home we got lot of help. The agents at ticket counters assigned two men to carry the hand luggages and help with everything else. Once we took the babies to our hand in the security line, we could not do anything else. These people came with us to the plane and even loaded everything to overhead bins. Tip them generously (RS100 or more for each person). We would not have been able to do anything without their help ... specially in Mumbai airport because you have to go by a bus to the International terminal. It is a logistical nightmare.

Dr.Anita -
We highly recommend Dr. Anita. Her NICU is not the cleanest but she is a very good doctor. She did not want to release the babies from the NICU to us until we got a nanny. I kind of got the feeling that she assumed we won't be able to manage on our own. We ended up getting a nanny for a couple of weeks but she had no experience and wasn't useful. ( I take care of the twins when my husband goes to work now :) Dr. Anita really underestimated me :) )

You can buy most things from the Seven 11 store there like diapers (low quality though) and blankets. They don't have Preemie diapers or wipes. Also you have to take formula from the US. We took Enfamil Newborn power tubs. We also took Enfamil Newborn Nurserette Ready to Use 2oz bottles and disposable Enfamil Nipples which became very handy on our plane rides. Once we took the babies to our hands in the plane, we could not do much. So instead of making formula, we used these disposable Nurserette bottles and nipples (available at Amazon.com). We also took bottles, nipples and a 220v sterlizer (you can buy an Avent sterlizers there also) from here.

You will get ooohs and ahhhs in the airports because of the twins. People were very helpful everywhere. In fact American Airlines gave us two free seats from our London to FL trip so we were able to strap the car seats (they were more sympathetic when they heard the story :). Jet Airlines was also very helpful and provided us with bassinets for our trip from Mumbai to London. Don't be afraid to ask for help. People helped us in the plane. Some even held the baby until I used the rest room. Just ask and people are ready to help you.

I will add more things when I get a chance again. We are so happy to be back home with our twin boys. .

KPM
KPM

Postby embolism99 » February 21st, 2012, 4:17 pm

When do you find out if it is twins or not? We are at 6 weeks along and they haven't said, so I'm just curious how soon we'll know.
Emily Grover
embolism99@yahoo.com
Twins October 2012 on 2nd try (used donor eggs) with Dr. Patel
embolism99

Postby anchau » February 25th, 2012, 5:24 pm

Congratulation!

You will find out at around the 9-10 weeks of pregnancy when Dr. Patel does the aultrasound scan.
anchau

HOLY COW Twins due early Oct 2012

Postby embolism99 » March 10th, 2012, 6:47 pm

After so many years and our 2nd attempt with donor eggs, I never even allowed myself to imagine that it could be twins...BUT IT IS! I found out this morning from the 7 week scan result that all 5 implanted. I hadn't heard anything so I emailed Dr Patel to ask about the 7 week scan I had seen mentioned in a post, and on a Saturday she emailed me back! Week 10-11 (We are in week 9) they will do a fetal reduction to twins. I'm always worried given my history of miscarriages that something could go wrong during the procedure or heck even during the entire pregnancy, but I'm trying to just let myself finally be hopeful and happy and not borrow trouble or distress myself with imaginings.

If anyone else is expecting twins or even will be in Anand picking up their baby at the same time please email me at embolism99@yahoo.com so we can stay in touch. We are in Texas, and I haven't even told my husband because he is at work today. I set up a 2nd crib in the nursery, and when I get home I'll open up the door and let him figure it out!

And anyone who has had twins and has tips on what to pack or prepare for let us know!

OMG Holy Cow Yikes I'm gonna be a mother of 2 at once!!!

Emily Grover :D :o :lol: :shock:
Emily Grover
embolism99@yahoo.com
Twins October 2012 on 2nd try (used donor eggs) with Dr. Patel
embolism99

Postby roger » May 4th, 2012, 9:12 pm

Hi,

I am awaiting twins. It seems they arrive premature. My girlfriend and I (we never married) have taken care of our nieces and nephews but we are both concerned about traveling with twins. I am wondering if we can have the clinic keep the babies for a month after they have been delivered? My girlfriend is against it; she wants to take delivery as soon as possible or even after 2 weeks and bring them home but I am more concerned about their safety. I am from India so I know how difficult travel can be in India, not to mention with new borns.

Does anyone know if the clinic can keep babies after they are born and for how long? Has anyone done this or know someone who has done this?

Thanks!
roger

Postby goneloco » May 5th, 2012, 10:50 am

is anyone in Anand at staying at the Rama from June/july onwards? especially from the UK..get in touch..
goneloco

Postby mama78 » May 21st, 2012, 7:05 am

Hi Everyone,

This forum is helping us a lot. Thanks everyone who are contributing to this forum.

Does any one know what kind of procedure does DR. Patel follow to reduce the number of fetus in case of triplets. I hared there is a risk of loosing other fetus also some times.

Thanks
Mamatha
mama78

Postby lowe2 » October 2nd, 2013, 6:32 am

Hi,

Does anyone know about how long to expect twins to be in the NICU if there are no complications?

Thanks, Lowe2
lowe2

Postby jenniemack » July 2nd, 2015, 12:23 pm

Hey, all...
My husband and I are expecting twins on or around January 13, 2016. We're hoping to connect with other couples who may be pregnant/traveling around the same time. We could really use a sense of (online) community through this experience, since what we're doing is so unique. Anyone out there with similar feelings?
Jen V.
jenniemack

Next

Return to Topic-focused Discussions