What did you pack?

What did you pack?

Postby HammockGuy » August 14th, 2011, 12:01 am

Place-holder...

I don't have time at the moment, but after seeing rabbit3872's post in the Stage 1 thread asking about what to bring, I realized something else we lost from the old forum - packing lists provided by several people :( Drat. I know this is helpful, so I figured I'd make it a focused topic. It can of course be discussed in the Stage threads too, namely 1 and 4 (making baby and picking-up baby), but for folks who just want to find this information only, this thread will serve that purpose...

So, we clearly pack different items when we return to Anand for the birth of our baby or babies. For those who share what they brought, kindly keep that in-mind, that is, what you packed for these two trips...
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy
Father of 2 girls - Thanks Dr. Patel!

Re: What did you pack?

Postby Jackie_pbs » August 16th, 2011, 8:10 am

Re-posting this from the "1. Baby-making in Anand (including prep at home)" and included 2 new updates from others.

I just returned from Anand and wanted to include a list of things that I brought along during my cycles.
This list is comprised of advice that I received from past cyclers and items posted on the old forum.

Anand Packing list
Anti-BacterialWipes (Lysol/Swiffer)- A good swipe of the floors and all surfaces before unpacking and after the housekeeping service - especially bathroom area
-Travel alarm clock - not provided at Rama
-Small flashlight - there ARE some power cuts (outages)
-Earplugs - necessary for most of the hotels; also good for sleeping on the plane
-Sun protection - sunscreen, chapstick (it was always very dry and dusty, and I was very glad I had this)
-Hats
-Umbrella (if going during monsoon time)
-Medicines - the usual. Maybe a course of antibiotics, just in case, though the Dr.'s can write you a prescription if needed. Glad we had Advil. And Tylenlol PM until our body clocks adjusted to the time change.
-Mosquito repellant - sprays for skin, and spray for the rooms. However, if you forget or just do not want to cart these items, you can buy repellant at the Big Bazaar. You can also request that the hotel spray your room, or give you extra 'plug-ins' (these were the most effective for us).
-Gatorade powder packets
-Workout shoes - if you plan to hit the gym at all, be sure to pack a pair of athletic shoes that you will wear only inside the gyms, and not on the street. This was required at both the Laksh gym and the C9. In fact, they were not going to let my husband have a workout because he only had the shoes he wore in off the street (they ended up allowing him to clean his shoes first). I did not expect this one, so, good to know.
-Good walking shoes - the pavement is often uneven, and you are competing with the cows, cars and trash, so be comfortable! You may want to consider bringing some shoes that you plan to leave behind or donate after your stay.
-Slippers - because of the pollution and condition of the streets, you will probably want to kick off your shoes just outside or inside your hotel room door. It was nice to have slippers to put on for inside-use only (NOTE: the Madhubhan provides slippers).
-Multiple electricity converters - so not having to juggle for recharging items
-Extension Cord
-Books/Magazines
-Camera (with Camera cord)
-USB stick - good to transfer documents that you need to give to reception to print out
-Scented Candles/Scented air refresher - make the room smell like home
-Packaged food that can be made using a kettle- mashed potatoes/ramen noodles (good for use after extraction - helps to settle the stomach)
-Dry fruits/nuts
-Micowave popcorn
-Bathing Suit - for use of the pool at the Madhuban resort for day pass or for stay
-Notebook - I used this to keep track of expenses and receipts for bloodwork (All bloodwork is paid for separately from your IVF cycle)
-DVDs or Movies saved onto an external Hard drive for your computer.[/color][/color][/color]
Jackie_pbs

Postby rabbit3872 » November 12th, 2011, 3:08 pm

My husband and I aren't really fond of Indian food so we brought a bunch of our own food. HammockGuy talked about Mountain House meals (you can get them in the camping section at Walmart or any of those camping stores) and they really are pretty good. I'm very picky and even I liked them. I bought a big variety of them from REI...all you do is add hot water to them and wait 10 minutes and you've got a meal for 2. We brought camping bowls and mugs and lots of plastic spoons. I brought 2 pair of dishwashing gloves and then bought 2 big buckets at the Big Bazarre. This way, I could wash our laundry in one bucket and wash our dishes in another. The water in the sinks at the Rama gets scalding hot. You could burn yourself from the hot water, so I liked the gloves. I brought some shower shoes from Magellan's Travel...they're called "Ultra Soles", they were great for wearing around a questionable bathroom and great for wearing around the room. We also brought some of those car air-fresheners that we put around the room. Our room had a bad smell...some kind of ultra pine-sol and there were mothballs in tons of places (hidden in the corners of the room and a big one in the bottom of the sink). I have asthma so I was having a hard time. But once I got rid of the mothballs and cleaned the room myself with Clorox wipes and put the air-fresheners up, then the room was great for the rest of our stay. I brought Gatorade packets to add to water in case we needed them, but then I found regular bottles of Gatorade (orange and another flavor) at the Big Bazarre. The milk in India is very thick, sort of like whole milk. The first time they brought it to me, it was hot and had a milk "skin" on the top...scared me for a minute. But it is good. We had no problems with it. We brought a bunch of little boxes of cereal w/us and then purchased milk fr Big Bazarre. They have some cereal in Anand but not much of a variety...Corn Flakes, Bran Flakes and just a few more. I didn't see any American chips or candy in Anand....so if you have a favorite brand you like, you may want to bring some. Mumbai did have some American candy. We brought Oreos and trail mix and Power Bars. If you're going over there for IVF, you probably want to bring some Gas-X or something of the sort. My stomach got bloated from the shots. Another couple we talked to said they couldn't find that in Anand so I gave them some of mine. We brought a lot of old clothes and left them behind, my socks would get so dirty that I couldn't get them white again, so you may want to bring some old clothes. I brought Visine and needed it. When you ride on the Tuk-tuks, it gets very dusty and dust and dirt were blowing in my eyes. Visine helped. Anyway, those were a few things that we brought. Thought I'd post in case it helps anyone. Also, there is a Salvation Army real close in Anand, so if you have things you don't need or don't use, you can drop them off there. Or the workers in the hotel might be able to use them also...we gave them some of our snacks, they liked them.
rabbit3872

Postby snv1979 » November 15th, 2011, 3:27 pm

A word of caution to people carrying food - please be aware that all kinds of dairy, meat and vegetable products are not allowed to be carried through customs. Though some people manage to get away, it is highly probable that you will be stopped and fined heavily for not declaring them in addition to seizure. Invariably all luggage are scanned before being loaded on the belt and are marked for further checks at the exit points. And luggage which are not marked are scanned again in the Green Channel.

I think this is true for any country.
snv1979

Postby Docrad1999 » May 5th, 2012, 8:34 pm

I've read all kinds of India travel and tourism sites, and they all say very different things about what to wear. It will be very hot in Anand. Are shorts ok? Is it just too dusty to wear sandals? How about for women?

Thanks in advance.
Docrad1999

Postby rabbit3872 » May 18th, 2012, 9:38 am

My husband has worn shorts but I haven't. We were told by friends that women shouldn't wear shorts, but I have seen some women wearing shorts here. It's very hot, around 110 degrees now so you want to be comfortable. If you're coming for IVF, you may want to bring some long skirts that are really lightweight. I brought a few long capris that are really lightweight. Definitely bring some sunglasses and a hat and some mosquito spray and sunscreen. They have sunscreen here but we've only seen SPF 15 and 30. We've found Gatorade at 3 different stores here so you don't really need to bring those packets that you add water to. You may want to bring some kind of big cotton scarf (lightweight) to wrap around your head to either protect fr the sun or to protect from dust/pollution. There are tons of scarves here though, so you could always pick one up here. We brought clothes that wash and dry quickly and we hung a clothes line in the room, everything dries overnight so we don't have to take it upstairs to the roof to dry anything. The hotel is a great community here so check w/the people staying at your hotel and they can show you where to shop and where to eat and help you get familiar with this town quickly. :)
rabbit3872

Postby rabbit3872 » May 18th, 2012, 9:46 am

Also, we are both wearing flip flops everywhere and they work great. We just wash them out when they get a little dirty. Just watch where you walk....uneven pavement everywhere and there are places where there is lots of rubble so just be careful. Also cows and dogs walk where you do so be mindful of where you step! My husband bought an extra pair of really nice leather flip flops at Bata (which is right across from the Rama) and they're pretty cool looking! I see a lot of people wearing some sort of flip-flop shoe here, so sandals would be fine too.
rabbit3872

Postby Docrad1999 » May 18th, 2012, 4:40 pm

Thank you very much that was really helpful.
Docrad1999

Postby Madyson » June 3rd, 2012, 10:31 am

From my experiences of India, I would advise for women to dress on the slightly conservative side. What this generally means is minimum leg exposure and no tight tank tops. Often I throw a large scarf or two to have on hand to throw around my top if I feel needed. Typical arrangement is a U in front with it hanging in the back. You can safety pin so it stays in place. Plus it's great to have as something handy to protect against sun, dust, smog.

While occasionally you will see other women dressed in such things (shorts or tank tops) it is generally frowned on in many areas. If wanting to sight-see, you will not be allowed in some religious places with it for sure. Shoulders and legs should be covered.

Women have a built in excuse to buy some salwar-kamez and saris. :D Both are super comfy once you are used to them. You can buy many of the salwar-kamez as sleeveless and they all come with long, pretty, lightweight scarves.
Madyson

Postby Madyson » June 3rd, 2012, 6:09 pm

My husband just informed me shorts are fine for women. I'm still not packing shorts, but that's just my personal preference in India.
Madyson

Postby bgBoston » August 10th, 2012, 11:21 am

If you are in rainy season Jun-Jul-Aug, I recommend to carry waterproof sandal with thick base: about an inch to protect from light water/mud in street. I bought one from BATA show room, which is in station road, very close to the clinic and threw at the end of the trip.

As the shoes tend to get dirty very soon, we used to wash them regularly. We did not take them deep inside the room, we used to leave them next to the door, just being cautious not to take them close to bed or the table where we used to eat foods.
bgBoston

Postby KPM » July 12th, 2014, 5:06 pm

Hello,

We have a sterilizer that we purchased in India and is in good working condition. Free for anyone interested. All I ask is to send a pre paid delivery slip so I can mail it to you. Just send me a response to this post. It can't be used in the US due to the different power settings. We only used the sterilizer for about 3 weeks.

Thanks

KPM
KPM

Postby zeno » August 9th, 2014, 5:42 am

Hello KPM

where did u buy the electric steriliser un Anand? how much was it?
Than
zeno

Return to Topic-focused Discussions