Forum's Structure & Recommended Usage

Forum's Structure & Recommended Usage

Postby HammockGuy » February 27th, 2009, 10:26 am

Understanding the structure of this forum is important in order to get the most out of it.

Data will be captured through one of two approaches:

1. Stage-specific Discussions and
2. Topic-focused Discussions

There will be overlap in the material covered, and that is perfectly fine, and welcome. Users will be be able to more easily find the information they seek with such organization.

Back to these two approaches... Stage-specific topics are in reference to where one is in the IVF / surrogacy process. These are not to be bound or constrained by a certain topic only, but focus on where one is in the process, and with that, will be more dynamic in the range of topics covered:

1. Baby-making in Anand (including prep at home)

2. Awaiting Pregnancy (the 2ww)

3. Awaiting Birth

4. Baby Pick-up in Anand (including prep at home)

5. Baby at Home

Whether one wants to learn more about one of these five stages, or is immersed in one now, this is the place to learn more, share with others and ask questions.

With respect to Topic-focused Discussions, these have the aim to strictly adhere to subject at-hand. There will ultimately be quite a few of these focused discussions, but as of now (28 Feb 2009), here is what I’ve generated thus far:

Why Surrogacy and why with Dr. Patel in Anand, India

Photos & Video of Anand, India

Obtaining an Indian Visa

IVF Preparations

Being Healthy in India

What was your route to Anand, India?

Let's Talk Hotels

Let's Talk Food & Restaurants

Between these two approaches (stage & topic focus), the forum has been established with organization in-mind. Having seen many wonderful emails between us couples get lost in the shuffle over time, I have made structure an emphasis, with the blog and even more so here. And when a search is in order, this forum's software is quite robust and useful. I like how it not just finds the input criteria (a word or words typically), it also highlights these instances for the user, in baby girl pink, of course ;). I chose this forum's software for many reasons, and I truly hope it will serve us well.

Before I forget, I have a slight favor to ask. If participating in a stage-specific discussion, like "Baby-making in Anand" as an example, and if a previously unknown hotel or restaurant is mentioned in a conversation, someone please take a moment to add this new tidbit of information to the appropriate topic-focused discussion (on hotels or restaurants). It would be ideal to keep those topics as current as possible; and your help would be appreciated.

While on the subject of search, the spelling in our posts is quite important in yielding productive search results. I simply ask that we all do our best to avoid typos, particularly on the more key words that one might search upon. Here's a recommendation... If you use Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) browser 5.0 or newer, consider installing the free ieSpell add-on. It's wonderful and I've been using on my employer's computer for a while now. Once installed, it can be accessed via Tools -> ieSpell to spell check virtually anything. For my Mac friends out there using the Safari browser, this should do the trick: Menu, Edit and Spelling. And for those with a Google toolbar, you've got a very good spell check available also, so I'm told. Oh, and the FireFox browser has a built-in spell checker.

There is also an area where Helpful Links are provided. I've compiled a decent number already, but I know there will be more, especially the ones that are country specific. I ask that you use the Helpful Links - Feedback Thread if you have links that you feel should be added. As I get more of these, I will break them out into more logical groupings, once I see how best to do so.

Also, I hope to add the same cool, helpful widgets I have on the blog: Anand / India time, Anand weather and a handy dandy currency converter. Stay-tuned... Done, at the bottom of each page.

Lastly, for those who wish to participate in these discussions, it seems that there might be some confusion with respect to anonymity. For a multitude of reasons, many of us wish not to have our identity known. I'd like to make it abundantly clear that when registering and communicating here, one is doing so through a self-created profile. There is no need to provide one's real name, true location, and if one so chooses, an email address need not be revealed either. More personally identifiable information is conveyed through the typical email exchange than what will be visible here.

So, that said, join-up, gather your thoughts, and contribute to the knowledge base! Your participation is encouraged, and really needed for this venture to thrive. Thank you.
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy
Father of 2 girls - Thanks Dr. Patel!

Re: Forum's Structure & Recommended Usage

Postby spanky » August 11th, 2011, 9:57 am

I have an idea for a new forum/topic. Something like, "In Anand Now / Heading to Anand Soon".

This could be a place dedicated for people to help each other with logistics and other things that can be hard to do across time zones or when not in person. For example, people in Anand who may need something special brought to them can try to find someone from their country that is coming soon and would be willing to bring it. People who are on their way soon can ask people already there to help them with things like getting copies of medical info, scans, taking pictures of surrogates and babies, arranging hotels, transportation, etc.

If the use was explained this way and users were requested to enter their basic travel details such as where they are flying from and on what dates I think this could be very useful; especially as the forum grows back to its former self with more users.
spanky

Great Idea for the sub topics

Postby CanadaCouple » August 11th, 2011, 11:38 am

This situation is occuring right now. We are headed to India August 13 and your there now. So its great to exchange info on the latest current info. I've sent you an e-mail. If you don't get it post a message in the Anand section/ baby making. I understand from HG that PM for sending messages is being looked into as its not currenlty delivering messages.
CanadaCouple

Re: Great Idea for the sub topics

Postby spanky » August 11th, 2011, 12:08 pm

CanadaCouple wrote:This situation is occuring right now. We are headed to India August 13 and your there now. So its great to exchange info on the latest current info. I've sent you an e-mail. If you don't get it post a message in the Anand section/ baby making. I understand from HG that PM for sending messages is being looked into as its not currenlty delivering messages.

I just replied to your email. Let me know in case you don't get it.
spanky

Postby HammockGuy » August 11th, 2011, 3:47 pm

spanky wrote:I have an idea for a new forum/topic. Something like, "In Anand Now / Heading to Anand Soon".

This could be a place dedicated for people to help each other with logistics and other things that can be hard to do across time zones or when not in person. For example, people in Anand who may need something special brought to them can try to find someone from their country that is coming soon and would be willing to bring it. People who are on their way soon can ask people already there to help them with things like getting copies of medical info, scans, taking pictures of surrogates and babies, arranging hotels, transportation, etc.

If the use was explained this way and users were requested to enter their basic travel details such as where they are flying from and on what dates I think this could be very useful; especially as the forum grows back to its former self with more users.

FANTASTIC IDEA! There is a topic feedback thread in the topic section, but I'm going to create it right now. Thanks Spanky!

And here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=54
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy

Postby Racyee » September 22nd, 2012, 3:30 am

Hi ,

I was born without uterus and positive in ovulate.. Together with my husband are searching on the right clinic and surrogate in India . we are keen to look the right Place .how can I get contact direct to dr Patel as I try to send email regards on the details and fees for the surrogation.

Could please help us to get the info .
We are married 3 years ago and would like to get a possible miracle for our own family .

Thanks
Racyee
Racyee

Postby spanky » September 22nd, 2012, 10:04 am

www.ivfcharotar.com is her website and should have current contact info.

Good luck
spanky

Postby Nava10 » May 2nd, 2013, 11:19 am

Hi Hammockguy,

Would it be possible for you to add a column to the 'Members' table to contain the date of each user's last entry?

Thanks,
Navita
Nava10

Postby HammockGuy » May 2nd, 2013, 12:47 pm

Hi Nava10,

When you say last entry, you mean the last time the user logged-in or the last time they posted?

If one clicks on a username it shows the last login date...
HammockGuy

Postby Nava10 » May 2nd, 2013, 1:17 pm

I was thinking last entry. But I guess I could click into the names and get the information that way.

Hammockguy, I also just wanted to say thank you so much for putting this site together. It's rare to find people who are willing to help others like you...thank you.
Nava10

Postby HammockGuy » May 2nd, 2013, 1:33 pm

You are quite welcome! So happy to see the forum living-on, and others helping others... With two little ones, I find myself with little time to post here, but I do check-in at least weekly. If there's a way to reveal last entry without a click, I'll see. I'll look now while I have some time...

Oh, you also can click on "Members" above to see a list, which includes "Last Active"...
HammockGuy

Postby Nava10 » August 30th, 2013, 5:54 am

Dear HammockGuy,

I just got back from India and my 2WW is over. Now that I can move on to the next phase, I'm wondering if you can add a section to this forum to discuss pregnancy weeks - I'm not sure what the correct forum name should be but from speaking to many other IPs while in India it seems like a big topic of discussion is when the babies end up being born. It seems like Dr. Patel likes to deliver the babies early and they dont' usually make it past 34 weeks. I wanted to see if you can get a section started so people can share their experiences and post how many weeks their baby/babies made it to before delivery.
Nava10

Postby HammockGuy » September 9th, 2013, 10:55 am

Nava10 wrote:Dear HammockGuy,

I just got back from India and my 2WW is over. Now that I can move on to the next phase, I'm wondering if you can add a section to this forum to discuss pregnancy weeks - I'm not sure what the correct forum name should be but from speaking to many other IPs while in India it seems like a big topic of discussion is when the babies end up being born. It seems like Dr. Patel likes to deliver the babies early and they dont' usually make it past 34 weeks. I wanted to see if you can get a section started so people can share their experiences and post how many weeks their baby/babies made it to before delivery.

Nava10, congratulations! I saw your post a week or so ago, but life has been busy with school starting, we bought a new house, so we are between homes now, etc...

I did think of what you requested, but after talking with others, and seeing how the forum is getting used currently, decided it best to not get that detailed. The "Awaiting Birth" section / phase is the place to discuss those weeks and the associated trials and tribulations. Gosh, seems so long ago!

That all said, I just added such a topic. Here you go:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=68

Best to you Nava10.
HammockGuy

Return to Forum Structure, Recommended Use and Tips & Tricks