Re: Reason for Existence

Forum's Reason for Existence

Postby HammockGuy » February 22nd, 2009, 11:45 pm

Whether simply viewing as a guest, or as a registered user, we welcome your presence and hope that the information contained within will be liberating and provide hope for those who are in such need.

First, I'd like to say that there are many wonderful websites and forums on the web about pregnancy, IVF, surrogacy, and even ones that cover surrogacy in other countries, like India. This forum though is quite specific in that it focuses strictly on surrogacy at Dr. Patel's Akanksha Clinic in Anand, India. Not being aware of anything available like this on the web, I created a blog with the same purpose a couple weeks back (public on 12 Feb 2009). This forum, with its more robust abilities, now replaces that blog...

If you have an interest in doing IVF and/or surrogacy with Dr. Patel, or are currently engaged with her and the wonderful staff at her clinic, then you should find this forum quite helpful. With the scope of this forum understood, I'd now like to share the motivation behind its inception.

If my mom had not made me aware of Dr. Patel (Oprah show) through an email in the Spring of 2008, we would not be pregnant today. And worse yet, we would not have hope; and that’s truly tragic. Similarly, when we were cycling in Anand with Dr. Patel, we met a couple from San Diego, California (USA) who had just witnessed the birth of their son. The father had explained to me that he learned of Dr. Patel while putting some newspapers in the recycle bin and noticed an article on surrogacy, referencing her name. He said it was a magical moment. Shortly thereafter, he contacted Dr. Patel through email, and about year later, the couple found themselves in India, holding their baby.

Call it a miracle or a whim, this is a wonderful story, but one is left to ponder how many folks were not so fortunate to stumble across such information, or have a proactive family member or friend share the possibility with them. Knowledge is indeed power; and the intent of this forum is to empower us all, not just a few, with this life-altering information.

Having been a part of many conversations over email, phone and in-person, it is very apparent that there is a wealth of knowledge and experiences that we all possess. Such information is essential in making well-informed decisions and helping us through this exciting and tumultuous journey. I would like very much for this forum to serve as a repository to help us and those who follow. I am quite confident that this forum will be a fruitful resource of self-help and support for those who are currently working with Dr. Patel, have done so in the past, or are contemplating such in the future...

For those who don't know me, I'd like to add that I am not employed by Dr. Patel or her clinic. Likewise, I have not been paid or otherwise compensated for these efforts, nor is that my aim here. My motivations are simply as explained above. Along these lines, the contents of this forum are from folks who have the same common interest - that of parenthood. While it is my hope that this forum will be full of enlightening information that will serve many, please understand that we are not the official voice of Dr. Patel and her clinic. Particular questions in relation to your unique situation are best addressed by her directly (nayana@ivfsurrogate.com).

Similarly, if there is interest in the current cost for IVF and/or surrogacy with Dr. Patel, she should be contacted. Due to changes in her service offerings and the economic climate, as well as other factors, this forum is not in the best position to know the current prices for services offered.

Lastly, for those who are segueing-over from the blog that I had created a couple weeks back, I strongly believe that participation here won't be as challenging due to the ease of registration and the community-like atmosphere that a forum provides and fosters. I listened, and here is the response folks!
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy
Father of 2 girls - Thanks Dr. Patel!

Postby Crystal » March 3rd, 2009, 9:26 pm

Thank you so much for doing this HG, we (those of us)going to Anand, and those who have already gone will find this sight so useful. Colin and I only wish it was available before we went to Anand, January 2008. What I also like about this site, is that it has not been created by third party who has vested financial interests with Dr. Patel. People should be open and honest about there journey to Anand. Anand is not for the faint of heart nor for those who want a "Western" experience. The bottom line is that we all want or wanted a baby, and Dr. Patel tries her hardest to facilitate that. I hope all of those who are on the e-mail chain will participate in helping HG with this site. The e-mail chain can also continue for those who want to keep some things private, just as we already do. Let the blogging begin!!!
Crystal

Postby HammockGuy » March 3rd, 2009, 9:49 pm

Welcome Crystal. Your continued support has played a part in this forum's creation. Thank you.

I'd like to add that there are Private Messages (PM's) here as well. Members can also email each other here if that is desirable. Just another option that might be deemed convenient for some.

Oh, for those who didn't notice, there's a printer icon on pages were posts exist that formats the page, making it printer-friendly. This should come in handy sometimes...

I like how the posts alternate from blue to pink! Took a few hours to figure that out, but I did ;)
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy

Postby dcrater » March 4th, 2009, 6:28 pm

Thank you HG for setting this up. I was just hoping the other day that a forum for IP's using Dr. Patel would appear. I realize how much time and effort this must have taken. If you ever need any help, please let me know, I'd be happy to help out. Can't wait to see this site get going!!!
dcrater

Postby HammockGuy » March 4th, 2009, 9:44 pm

You are very welcome. It was laborious, I won't lie, but it was a labor of love. We don't have baby-in-hand, but we feel so fortunate to be 14 weeks pregnant that the urge to share and help was so compelling...

At this stage, the best way to help is to participate, just as you are doing! Once the membership and activity picks-up, I envision a point where some forum help will be needed. Thanks so much for extending yourself.

Actually, you used the acronym IP, for intended parents, that has me thinking... I sense that it might be prudent to have a thread just for acronyms in order to help those who are not up on those... Thanks.
HammockGuy

Postby Madyson » March 19th, 2012, 8:02 pm

I just spend the last few hours going through so many helpful posts. Thanks again for all the work you put into this. You have no idea how comforting this is for me right now.
Madyson

Postby HammockGuy » March 19th, 2012, 10:03 pm

Fantastic! Makes me feel so good that this forum continues, helping folks achieve their dream of parenthood. Best to you!
HammockGuy

Postby HammockGuy » June 15th, 2012, 9:23 am

I just received an email from Dr. Patel indicating that the clinic just gave birth to the 500th baby via surrogacy!

The first was in 2004...

253 boys / 247 girls. She provided a list of births by year, gender, and the IP's country; and we saw our two girls. In total, 29 countries. Wow.

Just thought I'd share... I will cross-post elsewhere.
HammockGuy

Postby cyber » October 2nd, 2013, 1:32 am

Since it seems that you are in contact with Dr Patel, could you please forward the following to her:

“Last evening I watched House of Surrogates http://goo.gl/vHde67 on BBC4.

I wanted to tell you how much I was impressed by your achievement, how much I admire your inventiveness, you management skills for creating and organising your business and your strong personality altogether. I am also a feminist, I live in London and have visited India once, in 1990.

I wish you all the best for the realisation of your grandiose project. I hope I’ll be able to follow its development somewhere online in the near future.”

Thank you in advance, HammockGuy, for forwarding this to Dr Patel
cyber

Postby spanky » October 3rd, 2013, 10:14 am

cyber, I just wanted to let you know you can contact Dr. Patel through her new web site if you wish: http://ivf-surrogate.com

I am excited to watch the documentary. I just managed to download it here in the U.S. (not easy due to restrictions of BBC iPlayer)
spanky

Postby cyber » October 3rd, 2013, 11:17 pm

My antivirus Trend Micro Titanium advised me not to open this website, this is why I posted here. Today I opened it anyway and emailed directly Dr Patel.

I am curious to learn how you succeeded in downloading the BBC programme because I spend my summers climbing in the Alps and, despite the fact that I pay my telly licence in England, I can't watch BBC iPlayer when I am in France
cyber

Postby spanky » October 4th, 2013, 8:51 am

cyber wrote:My antivirus Trend Micro Titanium advised me not to open this website, this is why I posted here. Today I opened it anyway and emailed directly Dr Patel.

I am curious to learn how you succeeded in downloading the BBC programme because I spend my summers climbing in the Alps and, despite the fact that I pay my telly licence in England, I can't watch BBC iPlayer when I am in France

I sent you an email off line about this.
spanky

Postby cyber » October 9th, 2013, 2:35 am

Thanks. Got it.
cyber

Return to Forum Inspiration & Purpose