Your help is needed...

Your help is needed...

Postby HammockGuy » August 8th, 2011, 4:06 pm

The below will be sent via email to several previous forum members who were upset about losing the old forum that had been with us for over two years; and who showed interest in wanting to help me build-up a new one from scratch... This forum, at the moment, does not have email capability, so registration is not possible - and that is why I'm holding-off on the email communication at this time...

The old forum had about 300 members and several threads over 20 pages in length. In total, I'd say over 1,000 posts were lost. The old forum, per Google Analytics, received visits from over 100 countries, with 1,000's of page views. It is my hope that we can get back much of that content, and continue to help people around the world... This board starts with 14 users though. :|

++++

First, for those of you who frequented the old forum at http://drpatelsurrogacy.comuf.com, welcome back! This is our new home (http://dr-patel-surrogacy.com).

It has been a painful, sad and difficult experience, but I’m happy to have the forum back, but unfortunately, much has been lost. I had created a forum back-up, but it was from March 30, 2009 – over 2 years ago. Everything posted after that is gone forever. I can’t even begin to explain the devastation. I had poured 100’s of hours into the creation of the forum and quite a bit more time adding content over the years. Over that time, I had received many emails and posts thanking me for the forum’s existence, and how it helped them become parents by giving them the confidence to travel to Anand. With the forum’s disappearance, that was no longer possible; and that is very bothersome. On a personal level, as some know, I had chronicled our 4 IVF cycles with Dr. Patel on the forum, the good and not so good outcomes. It was like an open diary, one that I had hoped to share with my two little girls someday. I knew that the forum must come-back, in whatever state, no matter the effort. That said, I needed some time away though as the thought of re-building was very depressing. Just even getting to what you see today took time and effort. Speaking of which, I had some help. Forum member “mick” is someone I met while trying to learn the software that drives the forum. He is in the UK and helped immensely to get the forum back! With two little girls and work, my time has been very limited. What would take me hours and hours to figure-out (technical forum stuff), Mick took care of in no time. He was also instrumental in the creation of original forum too. When I wanted to have an image of Dr. Patel’s sign on the forum and a certain “baby” color scheme, he made it happen. Mick – Thank you!

So, if you are receiving this email (recipients are bcc’d for privacy purposes), it’s because you expressed to me a strong desire to have the forum back and a willingness to contribute with some content. Well, I hope that has not changed! Unless you registered back in March of 2009, you’ll need to do so again. Areas where help is needed:

1. Under Topics, there were over 20 as I recall. Now, like 15 or so. If you remember what topics are missing, kindly send me an email so I can recreate the topic, and then others can once again add content to it...

2. Add content! If not much trouble, go back in time and fill in the gaps. And if you have photos and videos, please provide links to those you’d like to share like on Picassa, Flilcker, YouTube, etc… I’d prefer to limit what we upload to the forum, so linking is the way to go.

3. If you know of others who might not have contacted me and / or who are not aware of what happened to the forum, please let them know too; especially if you feel they too would help recreate what we once had...

Just so you all know, I’ll be backing-up the forum regularly! What a painful lesson to learn. So, rest assured that whatever you put into this forum, it will not be lost.

I believe I explained to you all what happened to the old forum. I’ll explain here briefly for others to read too as I plan to make this a post on the new forum…

About a month ago I began receiving emails from forum members asking why the forum was down. I checked, and it was indeed down and a message indicating that it wasn’t just some technical issue. I had just posted some really good info about our experiences in Mumbai and what we did to get our 2nd daughter home about 10 days after her birth. So, I was shocked about the sudden disappearance.

I contacted support and I quickly learned that the forum was gone, and all of its valuable content. I was in disbelief. On top of this, no particular reason was provided, other then that it violated their ToS, or Terms of Service. Why after 2+ years it violated something, I have no idea. And, one would think that I would have been contacted to inform me of such a violation, allowing for an opportunity to address it. That didn’t happen. I attach to this post a screen shot of this hopeless communication with support. I later found many, many other users of this web provider very unhappy, for the same reason. I also reached-out to the forum software community (BTW, where I met Mick), inquiring with them if there might be something I can do. That discussion is here, but basically, I was left with virtually no recourse:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2133850

If I hadn't received the many emails of support during the forum’s existence and those after its demise, I would not have put forth the effort. Thank you all for your willingness to help!

HG
Attachments
Forum Gone.pdf
(89.02 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy
Father of 2 girls - Thanks Dr. Patel!

Re: Your help is needed...

Postby Carrie » August 11th, 2011, 7:09 am

Hi All,

Im so delighted that our little family is back on board! Thank you so so much Hammockguy for your persistance. Our daughter is 3 and a half months old now thanks to Dr Patel. I will start to post all about our experience over the next few days and if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask :D Carrie
Carrie

Postby KPM » August 11th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Dear Hammockguy,

Thank you so so much for re-creating the blog. It was a tremendous help when we were first getting ready to go to India. I was at such a loss when the blog disappeared and felt very sad. Some of the topics that you had in the previous forum and might want to add are "Let's talk Hotels" and "Money Matters". We are heading to pick up our twins next month. I will try to get some video's and post them.
We will rebuild this forum again.
Thank you for everything.

KPM.
KPM

Postby HammockGuy » August 11th, 2011, 3:40 pm

KPM, good to have you back on this new forum (not a blog, but we understand)! Thanks much for adding some content already...

It looks as though you found that hotel thread, so no need to add it. However, many pages of good stuff are lost. Little by little...

I have not yet had time to add the links to the 20 or so videos I created and had on the old forum, but one is of Rama. Soon...

That is great news on having twins on the way! When time permits share some of your experiences in the Stage threads too. Now you'd be in Stage 3, Awaiting Birth. Look at you! You already posted there. Thanks again and best to you. There is a chance you'll see spanky...
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy

Postby HammockGuy » August 11th, 2011, 3:44 pm

Carrie wrote:Hi All,

Im so delighted that our little family is back on board! Thank you so so much Hammockguy for your persistance. Our daughter is 3 and a half months old now thanks to Dr Patel. I will start to post all about our experience over the next few days and if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask :D Carrie

Carrie, you are welcome. Thanks for the support to get this forum back. I needed some motivation and encouragement...

We are so happy you are home, with your daughter. You have quite a story to share with her some day. Our daughter is almost 3 months old... Hope you are getting some sleep! We are not, that's for sure...
HammockGuy

Postby World of Surrogacy » August 13th, 2011, 6:45 am

Hi Guy,

Im thrilled that the forum is back up. I will have to look back through my e-mails and see what I can add to the group. Alec&Elle, are almost 8 months old. Elle is saying Mama& Dadda, she is very verbal, and Alec is trying his hardest to walk. Mark will be three in October, so life is busy.
World of Surrogacy

Postby Beagle » August 13th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Fantastic your back HG, DW and I miss hearing and reading from people and of course the service you provided in this sometimes challenging process is reassuring!
Father to 2 beautiful girls.
Beagle

Postby snv1979 » August 14th, 2011, 8:49 am

Hi HG,

I am really sorry for all the trouble you have taken to re-surrect this forum.

I am yet to go through the posts that you have re-loaded as I am very excited about the forum being back and was busy registering.

I will have a look and add as much content as I can remember.

I guess, the way the forum was running, was like a conversation. So, most of the content that was lost would eventually come back as part of some conversation / Q&A, may be in different words.

Thanks a million for re-surrecting this forum for all those who are on this path to fulfil their dreams and providing confidence for all those who are on the peripheries not knowing what the journey involves and how to start it.

Regards,
snv1979
snv1979

Postby HammockGuy » August 15th, 2011, 12:04 am

snv1979, welcome to the new forum!

Between the posts here and the emails received, I'm convinced this was the right move. The impact this forum has had extends beyond my original expectations.

Good point and I feel that you are correct that much of the content lost were communications, or dialog. Invaluable, but as you say, they will naturally come back.

I'm running out of steam though. After several weeks of experiencing the full range of emotions, and then busting my tail to get this thing up again, while extremely happy with results and teamwork I've seen thus far (thank you everyone!), I'll be probably take a break for a few days.

We just had our first daughter's 2nd birthday party today, and that probably has something to do with it the exhaustion.

And before I forget, I've backed-up this forum 6 times just in the past few days :lol: I'm going to do so again right now!
HammockGuy

Return to Resurrected - The Forum is Back!