Web Hosting Input (forum down too often)

Web Hosting Input (forum down too often)

Postby HammockGuy » April 8th, 2014, 8:33 am

As explained somewhere on the forum, I've been using free web hosting. Unfortunately, the up time has been really bad, often with the forum being down for days, more than a week plus twice this year already. This is unacceptable. I've been contacted by several members as they rely upon this forum's information...

While I don't participate on this forum all that much, its viability is highly important to me. Being a Father of two, remodeling our new home for almost a year and holding-down full time employment, I don't have much time to spend here.

Having been recently released from the hospital where I had been admitted for a few days (I'm fine now), I figured that I'd use some of my recovery time to contemplate a better hosting solution for the forum.

First, ideally, I'd like to keep using a free solution. I don't want to incur costs or request nominal amounts from our members. I want to keep this forum completely open and free of charge, for everyone (minus spammers).

In my searching, I found that Google might have something for us - the Google App Engine (GAE). This forum is based upon phpBB, and it seems that GAE can support such:

http://fredsa.allen-sauer.com/2013/07/s ... oogle.html

Does anyone here have such knowledge and experience? If so, that would be great. Please chime-in and share your thoughts...

Thank you.
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy
Father of 2 girls - Thanks Dr. Patel!

Re: Web Hosting Input (forum down too often)

Postby HammockGuy » March 8th, 2015, 8:09 am

After the forum being down for several months, pretty much since Nov 2014, due to yet another poor host, I asked board member Spanky if he might be able to assist. He did so big time by securing a paid host and getting this forum back online. Thank you so much!

Assistance sought.... assistance provided. That is the driving force here.
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy

Postby harveyjassal » March 8th, 2015, 12:11 pm

Dear hammock guy

I just wanted to let you know that I visited dr Patel clinic in January this year and she was not aware of this forum and she has now employed a IT guy who maybe able to help support this forum more long term . She was very impressed that it had been set up . I also explained that the forum did go down number of times due to the hosting issues .

If you contact her she would be happy to assist with this as I said it is a valuable information my intended parents like me and my wife. We also visited the new hospital and our baby will be born there in late August early September.

I can't thank you enough for this forum as I am hoping to reach out to anyone in the uk who we can share the journey with and exchange notes .

I also have details of her London coordinater and will ask her to circulate the forum details to any new clients

Harvey
Parents to a beautiful angel born in September 2015 thanks to DR Patel.
harveyjassal

Postby HammockGuy » March 17th, 2015, 9:17 am

Harvey, thank you for the thoughtful post. I saw it several days back but have too busy to respond (parent in the hospital, still there actually)...

Maybe the forum looks a little different, but Dr. Patel is well aware of it alright. Please tell her that it is the same forum created years ago by a couple in California who she gave two lovely daughters!

Spanky, also a Father due to Dr. Patel, helped revive the forum. He's also incurring, I believe, a monthly cost for doing so. Him and I need to speak at some point. There is a certain level of pride and satisfaction in maintaining this ourselves. But time and cost can be a factor, and I will speak with him about that and other possible options.

Spanky, thank you again.

Harvey - Congratulations on the good news! Our first daughter was born on August 15th, a very important day in India! Sounds like you are due around that time. Most births are not a full 9 months...

Best to you and thanks again.
HammockGuy

Postby jenniemack » July 2nd, 2015, 12:13 pm

Hey--
First time here on the forum and thrilled to find it. Thanks for all the hard work over the years maintaining it! My husband and I are expecting twins on January 13, 2016, and would be so happy to connect with other couples who are working with Dr. Patel. As to your question about options for this forum, I can say I've had limited (but positive) experience with freeforums.org. It may be worth a look.
All best--
Jen V.
jenniemack

Return to ****** Assistance Sought ******