5. Baby at Home

5. Baby at Home

Postby HammockGuy » February 27th, 2009, 12:13 pm

This is the fifth and final stage in a series of 5 free-form discussions related to where a couple is in the process. Unlike the topic-centric discussions that adhere strictly to the subject, these are much more open to a multitude of subjects that would naturally present themselves during this stage.

For those who did not read about the forum’s structure within “About this Forum”, here are the five stages of these free-form discussions:

1. Baby-making in Anand (including prep at home)

2. Awaiting Pregnancy

3. Awaiting Birth

4. Baby Pick-up in Anand (including prep at home)

5. Baby at Home

By making it this far, a dream has obviously been realized and as you must know, your accomplishments serve as hope and encouragement for us all. Mission accomplished and CONGRATULATIONS!

That said, I've come to learn that there is still often much in the way of support that we all can provide and learn from each other. Some possible discussions that might surface here could be about the flight home, meeting the family & friends, health concerns, doctor visits, immunizations, care, clothes, parenting tips & tricks and ideas/thoughts/considerations on telling our children about "The Journey". I’m sure there are bound to be other topics of interest for this final stage, but you get the idea...

As expressed previously, even if you are not at this stage now, but have relevant input and questions on the discussion, please speak-up.

Once again, congratulations to those of you who have achieved parenthood and I commend you on your commitment and dedication. We hope you will not be a stranger!
HammockGuy
Father of 2 girls - Thanks Dr. Patel!

Re: 5. Baby at Home

Postby KPM » December 11th, 2011, 7:26 pm

I was wondering if anyone was able to claim at least some of the medical expenses from their health insurance once you got back to US with the babies? If so, can you please share your experience. I know lot of insurance companies do not cover IVF costs. But what about the NICU care for the babies?

KPM
KPM

Postby spanky » December 11th, 2011, 9:13 pm

I submitted several thousand dollars for reimbursement to my insurance company. I only mailed it in last week so I can't say much about the experience yet, but I expect to get reimbursed per the rules of my plan which should be about 80% of what I spent for NICU and various other post birth medical expenses.

You should just call your insurance company and ask about it as all companies and plans will have different terms and rules. In general I would expect them to require detailed receipts with dates, procedures, amounts, etc.

Also, you can deduct all medical expenses on your taxes. Disclaimer: I am not a tax lawyer so check this all out yourself. You should be able to deduct travel, hotel, food and all direct medical expenses including IVF. Last year I think it was any medical expense over $10K for the year that started becoming deductible. This includes you own premiums, co-pays and direct medical expenses at home so it is quite easy to go past $10K when adding in India for most people I would think.
spanky

Postby rabbit3872 » June 25th, 2012, 9:09 am

Anyone else have problems applying for the Social Security card once back in the States? We phoned and looked at the website before we went but evidently an Emergency Passport is not acceptable. They told us we need to apply for a 5 year passport and then present it to the SS office and that is the only way we can get a SS card for our daughter. Anyone else have problems getting a SS card once back?
rabbit3872

Postby spanky » June 26th, 2012, 9:09 am

We didn't have this problem, but we didn't get an emergency passport. I have heard of at least a few people who did get emergency passports so maybe some one will chime in. How long does it take to get the passport? I know I wanted the SS# right away for a variety of things from health insurance to bank accounts, life insurance, etc.

Very glad to hear you are all back home now.

rabbit3872 wrote:Anyone else have problems applying for the Social Security card once back in the States? We phoned and looked at the website before we went but evidently an Emergency Passport is not acceptable. They told us we need to apply for a 5 year passport and then present it to the SS office and that is the only way we can get a SS card for our daughter. Anyone else have problems getting a SS card once back?
spanky

Postby rabbit3872 » June 26th, 2012, 7:56 pm

Thanks Spanky! Well I went to apply for a passport online for our daughter....(the 5 year one that SS says we need to have) and it says that to apply for a passport, I need a SSN! I wanted to laugh since the whole thing seems to be getting crazier by the minute. Was anyone else able to get a SSN for their child by using their child's emergency passport? Social Security also said we need DS Form 240 (Report of child born abroad). The American Consulate didn't give us this, they gave us a letter that said we had a child born abroad but it's not the official form. We are guessing that it will be mailed to us but we're not really sure. Social Security said it would be faster for us to just get the 5 year passport than to wait for the Consulate to send us the DS Form 240.
rabbit3872

Postby spanky » June 26th, 2012, 8:15 pm

Now I remember! The CRBA - consular report of birth abroad is the gold document. You should get it soon and should be able to ask the consulate in India for status or track it via their web site. That is the document that recognizes your daughter as a US citizen and the rest follows.

I am not sure about the catch-22 re: the 5 year passport and why a 5 year passport? I think you should wait for the CRBA and then take it to the SS office. Sorry I can't remember more detail off hand, but if I do I will follow up.
spanky

Postby KPM » July 2nd, 2012, 10:46 am

Hi Rabbit,

We got emergency passports for our twins and submitted forms to the Indian Consulate in Mumbai to get the SS cards. But it did not work out. The forms had gone here and there and finally they mailed the forms back to us. We should have applied for the social once we got back home. Anyway, we applied again for the Social Security card with the emergency passports here in the US and the babies received their SS cards within two weeks. My husband went to the local social security office and submitted the Emergency passport, Consular Report of Birth Abroad (which you will get in the mail) and the English translated Indian birth certificate.
Also the emergency passports expire within 3 months so make sure to mail it and get a regular passport for them. It is free of charge if you do it with 3 months. You can mail the form without a SS number to get the passport. Perhaps you can't submit the online form without a SS number but we mailed it without the SS and got the passports right away.
KPM
KPM

Postby SeekingParenthood » March 5th, 2013, 6:15 pm

What did any of you have to do to get your babies added to your insurance when you got back home to the US ? We are using our own egg and sperm.. so I'm assuming the Birth Cert will show us as parents. Is that sufficient to have your baby added to your insurance ?
SeekingParenthood

Postby spanky » March 5th, 2013, 9:00 pm

SeekingParenthood wrote:What did any of you have to do to get your babies added to your insurance when you got back home to the US ? We are using our own egg and sperm.. so I'm assuming the Birth Cert will show us as parents. Is that sufficient to have your baby added to your insurance ?

I have Kaiser health insurance and our daughter was automatically added at birth. In addition, in the U.S. thanks to recent health care laws there should be no preexisting condition exclusion allowed for things like prematurity or any other condition at birth

You really should ask your insurance company before hand so you know what to expect though.

Good luck.
spanky

Return to Stage-specific Discussions