4. Baby Pick-up in Anand (including prep at home)

Postby HammockGuy » February 27th, 2009, 3:33 pm

This is the fourth in a series of 5 free-form discussions related to where a couple is in the process. Unlike the topic-centric discussions that adhere strictly to the subject, these are much more open to a multitude of subjects that would naturally present themselves during this stage.

For those who did not read about the forum’s structure within “About this Forum”, here are the five stages of these free-form discussions:

1. Baby-making in Anand (including prep at home)

2. Awaiting Pregnancy

3. Awaiting Birth

5. Baby at Home

If you are currently in India to pick-up your baby or babies, and want to share experiences, or have pressing questions or concerns, you've found the right place. And if you are not at this stage now, but were, or have relevant input or questions on these discussions, please chime-in as well. Those well into stage 3 (Awaiting Birth) surely might want to start ramping-up here…

I envision conversations about birth (natural & c-section), immunizations, care, feeding options, finding baby supplies in Anand, getting back home (country dependent) and flying with a baby/ies. Again, these are just a sampling of the types of relevant conversations that are bound to be be located within this stage-specific topic.

As a reminder, if new topic information happens to surface in this discussion, kindly update the appropriate topic-focused discussion with that information.

For those at this stage, the excitement level must be high!
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy
Father of 2 girls - Thanks Dr. Patel!

Re: 4. Baby Pick-up in Anand (including prep at home)

Postby Crisi » August 12th, 2011, 6:37 am

We're currently in Anand, picking up our daughter. For those who don't like vegetarian food, there are many new restaurants who serve fish and chicken. They also opened a new restaurant right under Rama Residency, which is vegetaria, Gujaraty-style food (for those who like sweeter food).
Crisi

Postby HammockGuy » August 12th, 2011, 9:14 am

Welcome to the forum Crisi.

Wow, that makes Rama even more attractive! If time permits, kindly share this is in the restaurant thread too, and any other input you might have...

Wishing you well with the return home.
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy

Postby HammockGuy » August 14th, 2011, 8:51 am

I just sent an email to friends who are in Anand now and they are starting the paperwork need by the US Consulate. With respect to forum DS-2029, I was asked if details are needed on all travel. I didn't quite recall, but found this email, that answered the question:

Dear Mr. HammockGuy :lol: ,

Rachel has left Mumbai and moved to her new onward assignment; Nancy just left post for her new assignment; Katie switched out of ACS and Wendy will be departing Mumbai in July.

You will need to complete form DS-2029, but you may only disregard the continuation sheets if (1) your sperm and (2) your wife’s egg was used in the surrogacy. If one parent is not biologically related to the child, for example: father’s sperm and anonymous egg donor, then the continuation sheets for DS-2029 must be completed.

Photographs may be taken at the consulate for a small fee. The cost is 200 rupees for three 2”x2” photos.

If you have any further questions, please free to contact us.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Sincerely,

American Citizens Services Unit/lol
U.S. Consulate General Mumbai

Privacy/PII
This email is UNCLASSIFIED.
+++++

Hope that helps others. A link the US Citizen Serives at the Mumbai U.S. Consulate:

http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/services.html Once there click on Births Abroad and Citizenship to get started...
HammockGuy

Postby KPM » August 15th, 2011, 7:10 am

Does the US consulate office require DNA testing for the birth certificate?

Also, I heard that now we have to go back to Anand FRRO office to get the exit visa. Can my husband go and get the exit visas from Anand while I stay in Mumbai? or do we all need to be present at the FRRO office in Anand? My concern is traveling back and forth with twins. Can someone share their experience regarding this please?

KPM
KPM

Postby spanky » August 15th, 2011, 9:11 am

KPM wrote:Does the US consulate office require DNA testing for the birth certificate?

Also, I heard that now we have to go back to Anand FRRO office to get the exit visa. Can my husband go and get the exit visas from Anand while I stay in Mumbai? or do we all need to be present at the FRRO office in Anand? My concern is traveling back and forth with twins. Can someone share their experience regarding this please?

KPM

The US consulate in Mumbai has not been requesting DNA for clients of Dr. Patel with all their paperwork in order. They certainly have the right to and could at any time, but I have not heard of them doing that before. Personally, I would not do it voluntarily and I also would fight it if requested of me.

You can get your exit visa from any FRO office in India, including one in Mumbai, but you will be on your own and risk being taken advantage of or having problems. If you go back to Anand and let the clinic help you, you are basically guaranteed to get your exit visa in short order for a fair price. As far as everyone being present at the FRO office it depends on who is working there. I have heard recently (I am in Anand right now) that the main guy is gone and his backup has been requesting the whole family to be present, while the regular guy did not.

What stage are you at? Are you in India now?
spanky

Postby KPM » August 15th, 2011, 12:02 pm

Spanky thank you for that information.
We are at 31 weeks now and will be in Anand by Sept: 7th to pick up the babies.
KPM
KPM

Postby HammockGuy » August 16th, 2011, 3:41 pm

I am unfortunately aware of several Dr. Patel clients who have had DNA requests from Mumbai. I can't speak for the last few months though...

I was led to believe that if Dr. Patel indicates that the IP's contributed their biological material (no donation involved), that there is no such request. I don't know if that is the factor though. We were not asked both times.

The first time we used the FRRO in Mumbai. I have a video on how to find them on this forum. I was tempted to use them again as it went so well last time and that with experience, it would go even smoother the 2nd time around. I heard enough recent stories and decided to just fly back to Anand and take care of it there. With Indu's help, 2 days and it was done. My wife and baby stayed in Rama the day we went to the capitol to get the passport stamped... It's nice having the clinic in your corner.
HammockGuy

Postby kiddo » August 17th, 2011, 8:40 pm

First of all I am very glad the forum is back! I have a question about breast pumps because we plan to stay in Anand for a while to allow our babies to breastfeed. Does anyone know if electric breast pumps are available for use (even rent) at the Surrogate House? If so, I was thinking of just buying the attachments (e.g. tubes, cup) in Anand instead of buying an entire new set.

I tried asking Dr Patel this question but her answer was very vague.
kiddo

Postby HammockGuy » August 17th, 2011, 9:08 pm

When we were there 3+ months ago, one was finally found by the clinic. I had left one there with our first daughter to be used by those who followed; but no one seemed to know what happened to it. I was told that I could buy one there though. Since we were leaving in a couple more days for Mumbai, I didn't bother with that option. But, they can be purchased there apparently. You can rent them here in the US, so that might be worthy of consideration if the price is reasonable.

I'd consider buying one. They can be purchased used if price is a factor, just clean it up well...
HammockGuy

Postby spanky » August 17th, 2011, 11:11 pm

Kiddo, I have seen an electric breast pump for sale at seven eleven. It is as much or more expensive as in the states though. In the last two plus months I have been here I have not seen or heard of one being used. All the surrogates seem perfectly fine with the manual ones. If you want to be nice and make your surrogate feel special you can certainly get her one or get her her own manual pump so she doesn't have to share with anyone. Hitesh and Dr. Anita both told me they thought the electric pumps were a waste of money and tended to break easily. Your choice of course, but that is my input.

Just as a general comment- I have been asked to buy some things here that are not strictly necessary. The breast pump was a good example. We were a little stressed out about what kind to get and had nurses come with us to the store to look them over. After talking to Dr. Anita she confessed that the pumps are really a luxury, not a necessity and on top of that she had plenty of hand pumps that they use there. They clean and sterilize them between use as you would anyhow. Other examples were bottles and special slow flow nipples, baby wipes and special preemie diapers. We opted to buy glass bottles, ship special nipples and diapers from the US at great cost, but I would have to admit she would have been fine without all these things. In fact, we are looking to buy some bulk cotton like they use here instead of baby wipes because the wipes are making a rash on our daughter. Just a matter of your choice and budget I guess. I think most people here assume we are so wealthy (and perhaps we are comparatively) that we can just get the best of anything at any cost.
spanky

Postby kiddo » August 19th, 2011, 5:57 am

HG and Spanky -- thanks for your responses! I was thinking of electric pump because we are expecting twins, but those are expensive. I think I'll go with the hand pumps from Dr. Anita and make sure they are sterilized.

Yes prices there of baby stuff, especially US known brands, are higher. I found this catalog useful for comparing prices. http://www.momandme.in/mahindra_retail/ ... -web01.pdf
This store has a branch in Ahmedabad and Mumbai.

I am gathering a list of things which I think are necessary for the first month especially for those who will stay in Anand for about 1 month or longer. I compiled most of these from past postings, readings, and from talking to moms. Also trying to decide which ones can be bought in Anand or Mumbai vs US. Or even get used from relatives, like the clothes. (Spanky -- I already added your 'bulk cotton' :D )

bottles
nipples for newborn
bottle brush
baby's powdered milk for newborns
thermos (hot water to warm the milk)
portable stove (to boil water, to sterilize bottles)
disposable newborn diapers for travelling
cloth diapers
diaper bag
changing pad
baby wipes or bulk cotton -- Anand
burp cloth
receiving blankets
undershirts
one piece pajama
onesies
socks
gloves
hats
washcloth -- Anand Big Bazaar
soft towel
baby carrier

Any advice on baby carriers especially when bringing home twins?
kiddo

Postby spanky » August 19th, 2011, 7:55 am

That's a good list, Kiddo. I can tell you that you can get a baby carrier for 1150 rupees at seven eleven. It is pretty handy and we are glad we got it, but it it is not very high quality and we will not bring it home with us.

For premature or low birth weight babies you will want to try to bring some special things assuming you have enough notice and are able to.

First, preemie diapers. Pampers makes two sizes micro and regular preemie that can be found pretty easily in the US, but nowhere in India. I guess these are not strictly necessary, but looking at our daughter almost disappear inside of the small diapers made us want these for her.

Another thing is formula. You will want breast milk as long as possible, but you also want to transition to formula before you leave unless you plan to buy breast milk at home which I think would be a pretty rare and expensive thing to do. They don't have great formula here for preemies and you will want to try to get advice from a pediatrician or if you just have to guess I would recommend Similac Neosure powder because it has higher calorie density and better nutrients then formula here and is very important for low birth-weight and preemie babies.

Slow flow nipples may be a good idea too. We couldn't find any here and had to have some shipped from the US. They make a huge difference for our daughter and make it easier for her to eat as much as she needs to without much difficulty.

I am a bit rushed now, but will try to follow up with some more details later.

Brandon
spanky

Postby HammockGuy » August 19th, 2011, 3:41 pm

I just found an attachment I had created to print and put on the hotel room door. It's in Hindi and Gujarati and simply says something to the effect:

Attention, baby in room, please don't spray any pesticides in the room or at the doorway / entrance. Thank you.
Attachments
Attention Baby in Room - Tony.pdf
(24.86 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
HammockGuy

Postby kiddo » August 19th, 2011, 7:27 pm

Thanks Spanky! The list of items for preemies or low weight babies is very relevant for us expecting twins. It sounds like you are still in Anand. Our prayers to you and your family.
kiddo

Postby HammockGuy » August 23rd, 2011, 4:23 pm

From KPM, detailed info for US citizens on getting babies home:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44&p=260#p259
HammockGuy

Next

Return to Stage-specific Discussions