3. Awaiting Birth

Re: 3. Awaiting Birth

Postby spanky » October 18th, 2013, 8:03 pm

Wow I don't know what to say. I can't advise you about something like this but I can only tell you my story.

My daughter was born by surprise at just under 25 weeks. Today she is over two years old in perfect health.

Our surrogate had 5 viable embryos. 3 were terminated early and the remaining one died naturally around 16 weeks.

We were not told of any complications except what I just wrote. We simply got an email saying she was born, weighed 800g and to come get her.

Maybe if it is possible and you have means you could get a 2nd opinion from another dr in India?
spanky

Postby Jackie » January 20th, 2014, 10:07 am

Hi all

I have recently confirmed dr nayana Patel that me and my husband are finally prepared for surrogacy. We are using donor eggs from her local agency. We want an Indian donor. Can any one of you guide me as how many donors profiles does dr shows.. As yet we have received only 3 donor profiles from local agency.. Am not sure whether to select it from the list or she can send some more.

I requested her if she can send some more, but for he next month cycle it seems she has only 3 donor available. Have anybody faced this? should I wait more to get better profiles? Pls advice.. Thx
Jackie

Postby bmkoss » February 4th, 2014, 4:24 pm

Hello all!

My husband and I are in week 18 of the surrogacy process. According to the schedule the triple marker study should have been completed at week 16. Up to now, Dr Patel has been very efficient on emailing us the results of all our tests. I have emailed her twice now for the results and to check on our baby and surrogate without a response. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone else have difficulty getting through?

If there was a miscarriage, I would assume they would let us know...
bmkoss

Postby rd8899 » February 4th, 2014, 10:33 pm

bmkoss wrote:Hello all!

My husband and I are in week 18 of the surrogacy process. According to the schedule the triple marker study should have been completed at week 16. Up to now, Dr Patel has been very efficient on emailing us the results of all our tests. I have emailed her twice now for the results and to check on our baby and surrogate without a response. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone else have difficulty getting through?

If there was a miscarriage, I would assume they would let us know...

Hi:

First, please note that (prompt) email reply from her has been generally a problem in my experience. But, she does email results of any tests that are actually completed.

Please call her clinic phone number directly and ask to speak w/ her or one of her assistants with your case number to find out if the above tests have been actually completed.

All the best to you,
RD
Last edited by rd8899 on October 6th, 2014, 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rd8899

Postby rd8899 » February 4th, 2014, 10:52 pm

Jackie wrote:Hi all

I have recently confirmed dr nayana Patel that me and my husband are finally prepared for surrogacy. We are using donor eggs from her local agency. We want an Indian donor. Can any one of you guide me as how many donors profiles does dr shows.. As yet we have received only 3 donor profiles from local agency.. Am not sure whether to select it from the list or she can send some more.

I requested her if she can send some more, but for he next month cycle it seems she has only 3 donor available. Have anybody faced this? should I wait more to get better profiles? Pls advice.. Thx

Jackie:

You're right..She sends 3 donor profiles. I do not know what to say except that you should ask her for additional profiles if you would like so, and see what she says.

All the very best,
RD
rd8899

Postby sunflower » February 5th, 2014, 11:14 pm

Hi all,
We are in our second trimester, at 22 weeks. I'm impatient, as most of you are, to know a bit more about how our surrogate is doing. How is she feeling?, is she happy?, does she have pains and aches, specific food cravings ..................etc.
Has anyone being able to have any kind of long distance contact with their surrogate during this period? Does the surrogate house have a phone number we can use?
sunflower

Postby rd8899 » February 9th, 2014, 1:14 am

Hi sunflower:

You're surely in the most anxious period of your process. Very best wishes to you!

Regarding contact/communication w/ surrogate, our email request (to Dr Nayana) for speaking w/ our surrogate (w/ or w/o Dr Nayana's presence) was ignored. However, besides her result-report emails, our occasional email queries about surrogate's well-being was responded to by brief replies. Since, most of the surrogates in Anand speak only the local language anyway, it will be probably not very effective speaking w/ the surrogate directly.

Again, with best wishes for the remainder of surrogacy period,
RD
Last edited by rd8899 on October 6th, 2014, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rd8899

Postby sunflower » March 5th, 2014, 7:50 pm

Hi rd8899,
Thanks for the detailed reply.
Congratulations to you and your wife for getting back home with two bundles of joy!
Dr. Patel has informed us that "Surrogate is fine". We decided to be content with that for the moment.
sunflower

Flying from Anand to Mumbai with 2 week old baby

Postby smitha2015 » August 17th, 2015, 2:28 pm

Hello all

We are expecting baby (Due date: 9th Sept 2015) at Dr. Nayana patel's clinic. The surrogate is doing fine.
If the baby is born, let's say sept 1, can we fly from Anand to Mumbai on sept 15 with the 2 week old baby?

What are the other parents usually doing? How many days they have to stay till the baby is ready to fly?
Also me and my husband both are US citizens, so we have to do an exit visa in Anand.
Can we leave the baby in Mumbai with the grandparents and come back to Anand for the exit visa?
It will be too hectic for the baby to travel many times, that's why thinking for alternatives.

Please help me if anyone went through similar exp.

Thanks a lot
Smitha
smitha2015

Postby pinkbunny » August 24th, 2015, 10:13 pm

I would like to know the answer too. Can the babies stay in Mumbai?
pinkbunny

Postby Covaliu » September 15th, 2015, 3:23 pm

Pinkbunny and Smitha:

Here's how things worked for my wife and I, with maybe too much information, but maybe some of it will be helpful. Our twins were born at about 33 weeks in October '14 (like a lot of people, we got the out of the blue "come now!" e-mail). Our kids were born at around 4 and a half pounds, maybe a little less, and neither had to be on ventilators. I don't know how things have changed due to the new facilities, but our kids were cared for at the Zydrus hospital, which I found to be excellent on the whole (modern, clean, doctors I felt confidence in), though there were a couple of cultural surprises. Our daughter stayed in the NICU for about 4 days, our son for perhaps 8, and then we stayed with them in the hospital for about another week. Zydrus has suites you can rent that are a lot nicer than staying at the Rama, though I missed the room service. Nurses (or "sisters" as they are called there) in and our every couple of hours to check on things and help out, which was a comfort to new parents like us. Depending on when your kids are born you may have a longer or shorter stay.

We weren't sure about flying at 2 weeks to Mumbai. The doctor was hedging a bit, and stated at one point they had to be 2.5 kilos to be allowed by the airline to fly, though no one ever asked us their weight when we did eventually fly. We actually hired Uday, the local fixer who works with Dr. Patel, to drive us to Mumbai--I forget the exact amount, but it did not break the bank by American transportation standards. There is also a train available, though we weren't comfortable taking that. This was something like a 7-8 hour trip as I recall, and went fine.

We had to bring the babies back to Anand to get exit visas. We made a real effort to try to convince the Mumbai FFRO office that the regulations gave them authority to issue the visas, but they wouldn't budge. The process was very frustrating--the police commissioner in Anand, the one man empowered to give us the visas, was on vacation, and we had a hard time getting straight answers from anyone as to what our options were. Uday ultimately arranged things somehow. We flew the kids back to Anand when they were almost or about 4 weeks old, handled the exit visas in one day, spent the night at the Rama, and flew back to Mumbai the next morning. We then flew to Newark a couple of days later, and it wasn't a problem for the kids. They were actually remarkably well behaved, and didn't seem bothered by the flight at all.

Some morals of the story, and other tips that wouldn't be obvious:

unless there's been some policy change, you're going to have to bring your babies back to Anand. The stress we had in trying to find some way to avoid this was a lot worse than the actual trip back to Anand.

a lot of your problems can be solved by giving money to Uday. I didn't ask questions as to where it was going, and how much he kept. Completely worth it.

We found dealing with the bureaucracy to be a nightmare, but that was largely because we tried to buck the system and get them to do things that made sense. If you a) accept you're going back to Anand and b) give Uday money, it will be a lot less stressful.

If you are told to give your babies preemie formula (the local brand was called Pre-Nan as I recall), buy a ton of it at Zydrus or at Dr. Patel's new facility if available. We had a really hard time finding it in Mumbai.

Order a bunch of "original" copies of the birth certificates (I'd say at least 5), but check them very carefully when you get them, as they will have mistakes and need to be redone. Be sure to check the gender is correct. There's a separate fixer who handles birth certificates, and if it's getting close to when you plan to go to Mumbai you'll want to keep some pressure on to make sure you get them in time.

When you have a sense of when you'll be able to get to Mumbai, don't forget to go online and schedule your consular appointment and DNA test---you can schedule them to take place one after the other, which I recommend. The DNA folks take their samples at the consulate, but don't forget to go the day before to the DNA lab's office to pay for the testing. I forgot to do this last bit, and had to race the clock to get them their payment before their fedex deadline to make sure they'd send the samples to the lab prior to the upcoming weekend.

Be aware that the holiday Diwali is coming up in early November, which makes booking hotels and the like harder.

Anyway, the Drs. Patel an Uday know what they're doing, and you'll get through it. Good luck!
Covaliu

Postby pinkbunny » September 16th, 2015, 9:08 am

Hi Covaliu,

Thank you for the very detailed reply, I very much appreciate it. I guess we will have to go back to Anand to finish up with the exit visas. We are just worried that flying back and forth would be difficult for the babies since they are just so young!

I just remembered that Diwali is around the corner.. in Singapore we call it "Deepavali" and it's a public holiday as well. The problem is that we can't really predict when and what will be done on time (or not), so we can't really book out hotels or flights in advance. That's frustrating. We also don't know how to estimate the number of days for NICU or hospital. *BIG SIGH* So everything will be on a play-by-ear basis.

BTW, we were told that we didn't need to do DNA testing at the US embassy in Mumbai. We are using our own DNA material. I don't want to get sprung when I'm at the embassy tho.. Those rush DNA kits are very costly. :shock:
pinkbunny

Postby spanky » September 18th, 2015, 7:59 pm

+1 for Uday. That guy makes things happen. Don't worry about how he does, but he does it.

As for DNA, I would have a kit sent in advance to the embassy ready and waiting. I had an unexpected situation where we were told DNA was optional and they opted to make us submit to it..

You are in Singapore, pinkbunny? But are you a US citizen?
spanky

Postby pinkbunny » September 18th, 2015, 10:09 pm

Hello!

That means I'll have to get 2 DNA kits for the twins! :o They also told us it was optional when we emailed them!!

My husband is a US citizen and I am Singaporean. We intend to get the kids their US citizenships first as the procedure in India is a lot easier than the Singapore side. When they get back to SG we will get them their dual citizenships..
pinkbunny

Postby pinkbunny » October 6th, 2015, 9:26 am

Hello!

The Internet at the Rama is not very good and I'm bored out of my wits at night here.. So I'm just going to give a bit of an update.

We ordered DNA kits from "Advanced Genetics" based out of NY, they are also called "universal genetics" and have 3 different locations for their labs. Anyway, the cost of testing one parent and 2 children is $960 usd. The good thing about this company is that they said they would send the kits to Mumbai and if we ended up not needing DNA, they will refund the cost minus some administrative fees. So just a heads up to other USA couples out there.

Second, we heard thru Hitesh that India is thinking of banning surrogacy totally for foreign couples in the very near future. He said that Nayna has been going to the Supreme Court to discuss all of this lately. Not sure how it will play out but it's just hearsay for now! :)
pinkbunny

Postby RajKoothrapalli » October 28th, 2015, 12:26 pm

RajKoothrapalli

PreviousNext

Return to Stage-specific Discussions