3. Awaiting Birth

Re: On our way...

Postby theprof » December 11th, 2011, 6:45 pm

Greetings to all on the forum. Our heartfelt congratulations to Sreepal on your coming twins.

Our TWW is over and we have the great news of a singleton pregnancy with strong fetal heartbeat on the first (7 wk) ultrasound scan! Thanks to KPM's post we have an idea of the schedule of future scans and tests- the next significant result seems to be at week 10. The due date (keeping fingers crossed) works out to sometime in July!

We have sent our surrogate a small gift at the time of the first positive HCG test but we have not tried to contact her as some others mention doing- what do people think about that? With the language barrier and all it would seem a bit difficult... but we would not want her to feel that she was being treated differently than the other surrogates in the Surrogate House.

We will post again as things develop.
theprof

Re: 3. Awaiting Birth

Postby anchau » December 11th, 2011, 9:48 pm

Congrat Theprof on the good news.

I would say limit on gifting during the pregnancy and just check on her often to see how she is doing via email with Dr. Patel since surrogates have the tendency to ask for more and that we set the same expectation for other surrogates. Some IP's may not be able to afford to give a lot. For our case, we told our surrogate to take care of herself well and we will visit her and thank her personally after the delivery. Once we arrived in Anand to pickup our twins, we visited her and thank her personally with thank you card written in Indian along with some money. She was crying and very happy with it. She has a daughter along with her, so we bought her some cloths and gave to her when we visited her a few days later.

Our surrogate did ask for a Rs 1000 increase in her monthly cash compensation, we agreed to give her for the last five months of pregnancy since she was carrying twins. We also agreed to pay the expenses for a baby shower at 7th month to make she feels better. It costs around $125.

Besh wishes,
Anchau.
anchau

How soon before birth should we travel?

Postby embolism99 » March 11th, 2012, 8:53 pm

We have twins due around Oct 1st 2012, and I was wondering how soon Dr. Patel recommends making travel arrangments beforehand. I was planning on coming a few days earlier than the scheduled C-section to settle in, but is there any reason to arrive earlier than that?

Emily Grover
embolism99@yahoo.com
Emily Grover
embolism99@yahoo.com
Twins October 2012 on 2nd try (used donor eggs) with Dr. Patel
embolism99

Postby anchau » March 14th, 2012, 5:43 pm

Congratulation Emily !

For Twins, you can expect the delivery through C-Secion around 34-35 weeks. You can ask Dr. Patel around 29-30 weeks of pregnancy about the expected due date and she will tell you to arrive at 35 weeks of pregnancy. If you have time and the finance and want to be there when your babies are delivered, you will have to come a little early.

For twins, they will be small so they will have to stay in NICU for about 1.5 - 2 weeks under normal condition. If your babies have any condition, they will have to stay in NICU longer. We also had twins and we have to stay in Anand for about 6 weeks total to get all the paper works done to leave. We had to do DNA testing, so we had to stay an extra two weeks to get DNA testing done.

Some suggestions:
1. If you are from the US and use egg donor, order the DNA kits and have it sent to US Consulate in Mumbai to save you time, money, and headage. It costs you around $600 for the Kit if you pre-order instead of $2000 for expedite DNA services later. If you're using egg donnor, you will most likely have to do DNA testing, US consulate does not care about your reasoning.

2. Bring a lots of pre-mature diaper, enough to last you for about 6 weeks. They don't have it in Anand.
3. Similac Neosure Fomula - enough to last for about 6 weeks.
4. Baby wipes
5. Hats, gloves, and blankets beside cloths.
6. Start thinking about how to carry your babies on flight back.
7. Sterlizer to sterlize bottles
8. Electric kettles ( you can buy one there also)
9. When you book your flight back, make sure you ask your travel agent for Bassinat seats for you twins. This is first come first serve, no guarantee. So plan to arrive at the Airport 4-5 hrs early to check in and through security, and reserve bassinate seats for your babies. You'll need them for the long flight home, unless you can afford business class.
10. Rent a cell phone from Uday (the Driver that I would recommend you use) for around Rs 300 / month if you don't bring a phone with you.
anchau

Postby embolism99 » March 23rd, 2012, 11:01 pm

Thank you Anchau! That was exactly the advice I was looking for. It really helps to plan ahead, so I am starting early.
Emily Grover
embolism99@yahoo.com
embolism99

Postby Madyson » March 25th, 2012, 10:36 am

Congrats Emily!!!
Madyson

Postby rabbit3872 » April 3rd, 2012, 11:26 am

Has anyone saved their baby's cord blood from India with any of the companies around....i.e... Cord Blood Registry? Just curious how difficult this might be to do.
rabbit3872

Postby embolism99 » May 24th, 2012, 10:00 am

Plans are coming along for picking up our twins. I'm trying to figure out how to pay any NICU fees, because my bank says to transfer money I have to show up to my bank in the U.S. to make a large transfer. I remember traveler's checks being a pain last time I used them in India, and I don't know if I'll even need them or not. I dont' suppose Dr. Anita's NICU takes VISA or Mastercard? Ideas?

Emily
Emily Grover
embolism99@yahoo.com
embolism99

Postby spanky » May 24th, 2012, 10:30 am

I am pretty sure Dr. Anita won't take credit cards, but you can ask.

I withdrew 25,000 RS from the ATM across from Dr. Patel almost every day it seems. 15K + 10K in 2 transactions.

She will accept direct bank transfer if you need to do that, but I seem to recall she was a bit resistant and really preferred cash..

NICU charges should average about $50 per day for "normal" care I think.

If I did it again I would have brought a lot more US Dollars because it is very easy to exchange there. You can legally take $10K cash no problem you should just declare it. You can exchange conveniently in Hitesh's office or have someone come to your hotel. It turned out to be a real chore for me going to the ATM (often in the heat and rain and feeling tired, etc.) and making multiple withdrawals and many days the ATM was broken or empty so I would have to try to find others and felt conspicuous being the westerner always at the ATM with pockets full of cash..
spanky

Postby snv1979 » May 24th, 2012, 7:58 pm

The law regarding currency is as follows:

Declaration of foreign exchange/currency has be made before the custom officers in the following cases :
(a) where the value of foreign currency notes exceed US $ 5000 or equivalent
(b) where the aggregate value of foreign exchange including currency exceeds US $ 10,000 or equivalent

Ref: http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm

Exchanging Traveller's Cheques are also easy. The above limit is per person.

Important thing to remember is to carry proof for the source of funds, especially huge amounts of currency - like ATM receipts, bank statements, etc.,
snv1979

Postby mama78 » May 28th, 2012, 7:50 pm

Hi Everyone,

Does any had gone through fetal reduction, what is procedure that Dr Patel follows, are they going to email the results.
Please explain.

Mamatha
mama78

Postby spanky » May 29th, 2012, 2:21 pm

Hi Mama78, my own experience and from what I have heard from others is that it doesn't get mentioned very much. It is pretty well known and has been said by Dr. Nayana that she will never allow a surrogate to carry more than twins. On the other hand, she has no problem implanting 5 embryos so she often has to do selective reductions. I don't know the exact medical procedure, but she basically picks some embryos and terminates them.. Then you will see some notes on your next scan about the result like "two live fetus" when you had five previously..

Everyone has different feelings about this and all I can say is think through the possibilities carefully (remembering that delivering more than two babies from one surrogate is not one of those possibilities) and ask Dr. Nayana anything that you need to know. Simply put, you can avoid the need for selective reduction in the first place by instructing Dr. Nayana to only implant one or two embryos at a time. Of course, on the other hand you are likely reducing your chances for a pregnancy too.

There is no easy answer. We have a healthy, happy baby girl about to turn one thanks to Dr. Patel, but we also had 5 live fetuses, three reduced and one died naturally. Then our daughter was born at 25 weeks and it is amazing that she survived and without any recognized deficiencies..

Good luck and feel free to ask anything.

mama78 wrote:Hi Everyone,

Does any had gone through fetal reduction, what is procedure that Dr Patel follows, are they going to email the results.
Please explain.

Mamatha
spanky

Our daughter was born today!

Postby theprof » June 2nd, 2012, 7:50 pm

Hi to everybody. We're so excited to tell you all that our daughter was born today [ June 2nd ]. She was born via C-section at 32 weeks due to preterm premature rupture of membranes, but apparently both baby and Ramila, our surrogate, are doing well. Our daughter weighs 3.75 lbs and we have 2 beautiful pictures [ 1 of which is attached ]. Thanks so much Dr. Patel! Hello Dr. Anita! Now we just have to get ourselves to Anand as fast as possible ... we weren't quite ready for this!

Has anybody else had this experience? Any advice to offer?

best to everybody,

Charles and Kate
Attachments
baby1.jpg
Isn't she lovely?
(1.79 MiB) Not downloaded yet
theprof

Re: Our daughter was born today!

Postby spanky » June 2nd, 2012, 11:10 pm

Congratulations!

Our daughter was born early too and we were surprised and had to make last minute travel plans to get to her.

The most important thing right now is to get to Anand ASAP and take care of your baby. Dr. Anita and her staff are the best in town so your baby is in good hands, but she needs mom and dad there.

Best of luck and let me know if I can help answer any questions you have.

theprof wrote:Hi to everybody. We're so excited to tell you all that our daughter was born today [ June 2nd ]. She was born via C-section at 32 weeks due to preterm premature rupture of membranes, but apparently both baby and Ramila, our surrogate, are doing well. Our daughter weighs 3.75 lbs and we have 2 beautiful pictures [ 1 of which is attached ]. Thanks so much Dr. Patel! Hello Dr. Anita! Now we just have to get ourselves to Anand as fast as possible ... we weren't quite ready for this!

Has anybody else had this experience? Any advice to offer?

best to everybody,

Charles and Kate
spanky

Blogoverse for Dr. Patel-resources for more info

Postby embolism99 » June 5th, 2012, 9:42 am

This blog and forum is hands down the best, but I was getting at a very anxious stage recently becuase we went 5 weeks with no news of our twins from Dr. Patel. I've since found out that after week 16 there is a big gap in updates, and it is normal to go a little nuts about it. But in response to an email about whether our letter, pictures, and gifts for our surrogate had been recieved in a package we mailed over a month ago we did get an update this morning...on our eight year anniversary no less! But another couple from Canada who are expecting twins 2 weeks before us told me that they didn't get their update until week 22-24. Our babies are at week 21.

Anyway, in my impatience I searched the interwebs for any blogs by folks who used Dr. Patel. Most are folks that used Surrogacy Center in Delhi, but I found the below three that used Akanksha in Anand. The first has the most detail on their experience, especially the picking up part which I thought was informative.

http://twindiamama.blogspot.com/

http://babydreamsfromindiawithlove.blogspot.com/

http://ammanari.blogspot.com/

I decided to write my own blog to share anything I learned/experienced beyond what is in this blog and cover more of the minute details, and to share pics and videos while we are in India picking them up with family. If you are interested in reading it, mine is :

http://10milesuphillinthesnow.blogspot.com/

I also do recommend the book The Sacred Thread by Adrienne Arieff. She had twins through Dr. Patel's clinic and went there early to be with her surrogate, so I ordered it on Amazon and read it in one day. It does give you an idea of what is happening on the other side of the world while you wait patiently....or not so patiently in my case. I added my book review to my blog also.

Just wanted to pass on more resources for other folks who are eager to get more info during the waiting game.

Emily Grover
embolism99@yahoo.com
Twins expected mid-late Sept 2012
Emily Grover
embolism99@yahoo.com
embolism99

Postby Mnana » September 12th, 2012, 8:12 am

Today i got the first scan report for 7th week which shows singal pregnancy with fetal HR 166bpm.. :)
Mnana

PreviousNext

Return to Stage-specific Discussions