3. Awaiting Birth

Week of Birth

Postby SeekingParenthood » March 16th, 2013, 6:54 pm

I'm curious... at what week did folks have their births .. if you had only one baby ? I've read 32 weeks... for a couple of folks... just wondering how close to full term folks got ?
SeekingParenthood

Re: 3. Awaiting Birth

Postby nk2007 » March 18th, 2013, 1:00 am

Yes I am curious about the answer to this question as well. I've heard that the surrogates usually do not carry the baby to term and that Dr. Patel performs c-section on the majority of them. Does anyone know if this is true, and why? Thanks.
nk2007

Postby spanky » March 20th, 2013, 10:34 am

I have only heard of a few births past 36 weeks. I can only speculate some reasons why. The main one is probably that IVF is considered a high risk type pregnancy and prematurity is more common as are other complications that can maybe be avoided by early c-section? In any case, it does seem common for delivery to be in the 32 - 36 week range so I would prepare for that. Personally, I would suggest staying in close contact with the clinic during the pregnancy and make it clearly known that you want the baby carried for as long as possible and safe for baby and surrogate.
spanky

Postby rose » March 24th, 2013, 10:06 pm

Hi ...

We are planning a cycle in June 2013. Does anyone know how many embroyos dr Patel implants now?
rose

Postby nk2007 » March 25th, 2013, 8:42 am

Thanks for your response Spanky. Those are good suggestions. I think the number of embryos she would be willing to transfer would be very dependent on the quality of the embryos - don't think she has an absolute cut off. Heard from a friend that Dr. Patel transferred five embryos into her surrogate - but unfortunately the surrogate did not conceive.
nk2007

Postby rose » March 27th, 2013, 10:47 am

Thanks for the reply nk2007...
rose

Postby rd8899 » March 28th, 2013, 6:52 pm

HammockGuy, spanky and friends:

Glad to be here in the Stage 3 discussion. We received an email/report from Dr Patel today (at appx 6-weeks) about pregnancy for our case.

I see that there is already a lot of useful information in this thread. Thanks for it.

Best wishes to you all!
Last edited by rd8899 on October 6th, 2014, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rd8899

Postby Nava10 » August 30th, 2013, 11:00 am

Hi Everyone,

Glad to be in stage 3. Quick question for the group - once you have a confirmed pregnancy, does Dr. Patel give you an estimated due date? I see that she usually delivers via c-section between 32 and 36 weeks. Does that mean that we should plan to be in Anand at 31/32 weeks or will she let you know as the pregnancy progresses when you should plan to come? Just curious for planning purposes.
Nava10

Postby Phoenix » August 31st, 2013, 3:40 pm

Dr. Patel sends first ultrasound at 20 days from Hcg test or 7 wks gestation and report has EDD. Also are pictures from the scan measuring crown rump length to measure gestational size appropriateness. We just got report and pictures this morning. The results seem to be sent the following morning of scan Anand time around 11am. Actually the 2 weeks hcg levels were pretty high and there was a third gestational sac in sonogram but nothing was inside. Yesterday was a bit tense waiting for results. The report showed twins with normal heart rate! We are excited and can't wait for next measurement.
Last edited by Phoenix on October 2nd, 2013, 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phoenix

Postby snv1979 » September 20th, 2013, 4:33 pm

You cannot be too prepared for it, but get ready to leave by 30th week. I mean pack and be ready to leave. 32 weeks is the best bet. Usually, the 34th week scan decides the course of action, if nothing crops up between the 22nd week and 34th week scans.

Nuchal scan is usually done between 11w & 13w6d.

If the previous Scan report says Next scan at 10 weeks, then it may not be for measuring nuchal transparency, but a routine scan. A subsequent scan would be done after 2 weeks or thereabouts to check nuchal transparency.
snv1979

Postby lowe2 » September 30th, 2013, 5:27 am

Hello,
We are waiting for the birth of our twins. Dr. Patel said they could be born anytime after the first of March. We are excited and a bit nervous as we continue to wait for birth. This forum and the information on it has been extremely helpful. Looking forward to meeting our babies.
lowe2

Postby ceciliame » September 30th, 2013, 6:43 am

Hi Lowe,

We are awaiting for our twins as well in December. Excited and worried at the same time. If you wanna share anything or ask anything, do feel free to email me. It's good to have someone to share information. :D
ceciliame

Postby ssgupta » October 10th, 2013, 11:58 pm

Hi,

I just joined this forum - have been a long time lurker and I felt it was time to contribute to the forum having been thru the process myself.

My twins were born in Mar of this year - at 35 weeks. Generally speaking from what I had observed, most singleton pregnancies stretched beyond 34 weeks if there were no complications. For twins, 35/36 weeks seems to be the norm. IMO, that is also fine - we as mothers with our medical history tend to be worriers - even I am one.

Dr. Patel it seems does try to push for normal deliveries for all singletons. I had even seen one case where the baby was born at 39 or 40 weeks - Dr. Patel did not see a need to go for a c-section and let her continue. The result was a happy/healthy 3+ kg baby who was discharged after 1 day in Dr.Anita's NICU.

If you have any specific questions, relating to twins, please feel free to msg me or post here. I will try to reply based on my own experience.

Reg. what to bring, for twins, the general expectation is that they will be preemies. So, would be wise to get preemie diaper, low birth weight formula ( I used Emfamil Enfacare), preemie clothes from US/elsewhere. I have not seem them in India and I live in India.

The 34th week scan is the most important. Dr. Patel will give you a fairly accurate date of delivery by that time - esp for twins.
ssgupta

Postby ceciliame » October 11th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Thank you so much for your info ssgupta! It's really good to hear that twins delivery are not before 35-36 weeks cus I am so worried.

Can I check with you how long the babies need to stay in NICU after they are born for twins? What are their birth weight on average? Thank you for sharing!
ceciliame

Postby ssgupta » October 14th, 2013, 3:37 am

Hi,

I had a difficult case - my babies had a > 30% difference in their weight during their 32 (I think - forget which exact one it was) week scan. That was a cause for concern and it complicated matters. Dr. Patel did weekly scans from that point onwards and we stretched it till 35 weeks. However, my boy was born weighing 1.2 kgs and my girl 2.3 kgs. My girl was ready to be discharged in a week but my boy spent 1 month in NICU and another month in hospital but outside of NICU. He was diagnosed with NEC. One day I will write a post on the whole experience, but I prefer not to worry IPs since we hv already gone thru so much and our heads would explode worrying about these potential issues. Bottomline, if babies are born weighing 1.8 kgs and up, they do seem to do fine - get discharged pretty soon. For smaller ones, potentially longer NICU stays could result. Again, this is based on what I saw during my 2 month hospital stays both with Dr. anita and a different doc post the NEC diagnosis.

I would just keep positive and picture your complete family -I tend to believe in "The Secret's" philosophy - if you send out positive, you get back positive.
ssgupta

Re: 3. Awaiting Birth- Please advise....

Postby Renu » October 18th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Hi All,
I was thinking to write details after my baby's birth but now I need help and input from all of you.

We had egg donor Ivf surrogacy with Dr.Patel in this summer.We conceived with 1st try.Everything was going so smooth and we were excited and happy that we getting closer to our little wonder in our life.But we got an email fromDr.Patel on 21-22 nd week that our surrogate has developed hepatitis E and urine infection and she is in ICU.I read a lot and research says that it has high maternal and fetal mortality and morbidity.Both of these infection can transmit to fetus.Also our surrogate is on antibiotic now whcih is pregnancy catagpry C meaning it is not tried on humen or animal during pregnancy .At present we are 23rd week Pregnancy.

Do any one had similar experience? Do any one have any knowledge about baby birth after hepatitis E infection in 2nd trimester? Will baby get these infections and how it will affect baby's growth and developmen? ...Please help me making a right decision.

Thanks...
Last edited by Renu on October 18th, 2013, 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Renu

PreviousNext

Return to Stage-specific Discussions