2. Awaiting Pregnancy (the 2ww)

2. Awaiting Pregnancy (the 2ww)

Postby HammockGuy » February 27th, 2009, 3:34 pm

This is the second in a series of 5 free-form discussions related to where a couple is in the process. Unlike the topic-centric discussions that adhere strictly to the subject, these are much more open to a multitude of subjects that would naturally present themselves during this stage.

For those who did not read about the forum’s structure within “About this Forum”, here are the five stages of these free-form discussions:

1. Baby-making in Anand (including prep at home)

2. Awaiting Pregnancy

3. Awaiting Birth

4. Baby Pick-up in Anand (including prep at home)

5. Baby at Home

For those who have completed the embryo transfer step, the waiting game has just begun. Whether still in India awaiting your departure, or back home and in your comfy bed after what was probably a very unique and exciting experience, you now anxiously wait to find-out if the trek to Anand, India has materialized into a pregnancy.

Successful implantation on the uterus wall or a pregnancy generally takes two weeks to determine. It is likely to be the longest two weeks one will endure; and for this reason it is often referred to as the dreaded two week wait or 2ww.

So, if you find yourself immersed in the 2ww, or even if you are not at this stage now or once was, and have contributions to make or relevant questions to ask about this stage, your participation is encouraged.

As a reminder, if new topic information happens to surface in this discussion, kindly update the appropriate topic-focused discussion with that information.

While this stage only spans a couple of weeks, they are intense ones; and with that, I felt that it merited its own separate discussion (stage).

As I seem to recall, fewer than half the couples cycling at a given time get pregnant, so the discussions here are apt to be emotional. Kudos, love, support and encouragement should fill these talks, besides just good information about the process.

Wishing everyone good news!
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy
Father of 2 girls - Thanks Dr. Patel!

Re: 2. Awaiting Pregnancy (the 2ww)

Postby Jackie_pbs » August 13th, 2011, 2:49 pm

After the 2ww, you will receive a short polite email from Dr. Patel either informing you of a positive or negative pregnancy result. She will then give you the Beta HCG amount and attach the report with the email.

When you receive a positive result, a followup Beta HCG test will be performed 2-3 days later (depending if there is a weekend). You will then receive another short polite email informing you of the result of that test and a copy of the report as an attachment. You will also be asked to send the first payment that will cover surrogate monthly payment, checkup charge, blood tests, medicine, scan, food, and surrogate house stay.
Jackie_pbs

Postby snv1979 » February 10th, 2012, 3:16 am

Hi,

I guess quite a few people on the forum would have done a back to back cycle. We too would like to do one. However, we are not sure about the holidays we need to take in order to accommodate them.

For the first cycle, usually the Egg Retrieval is on day 12 or 13, after which the OC pills are started. Can some one let us know if they are started on the very next day after the Egg Retrieval or if there is a wait of a few days. I guess you are put on a 10-day OC pill course, after that what happens?

Any information on back to back cycle experiences are welcome. I haven't seen anything on this on the forum. If there is one, can some tell me under which topic it is?

Thanks for all your help
snv1979

Postby Jackie_pbs » February 11th, 2012, 8:57 am

Make sure that you discuss with Dr. Patel your intention to do back-to-back cycles, as this may impact the fertility drugs that you are prescribed.

For back-to-back cycles here is the general protocol - as Dr. Patel prescribes the 2nd cycle according to numerous factors including individual physicalality, and previous cycles` egg success.

- After the 1st cycle retrieval there was a wait of a approximately 5 days
- then 7 days of Progesterone tablets were prescribed (taking tablets 3X/day)
- on day 2 of your period you need to have have a blood test (LH & Estradiol) and scan
- then next round of shots are begun

Depending on your physicalality and the amount/type of injections you are prescribed - the second cycle may be MUCH shorter.

When doing back-to-back cycles be prepared to spend at least 2 months in India, as there is no way to know how your body will take to the 2nd cycle.

snv1979 wrote:Hi,

I guess quite a few people on the forum would have done a back to back cycle. We too would like to do one. However, we are not sure about the holidays we need to take in order to accommodate them.

For the first cycle, usually the Egg Retrieval is on day 12 or 13, after which the OC pills are started. Can some one let us know if they are started on the very next day after the Egg Retrieval or if there is a wait of a few days. I guess you are put on a 10-day OC pill course, after that what happens?

Any information on back to back cycle experiences are welcome. I haven't seen anything on this on the forum. If there is one, can some tell me under which topic it is?

Thanks for all your help
Jackie_pbs

Postby Madyson » July 14th, 2012, 7:33 am

We received news of our 2ww: negative. :-(
Madyson

Postby Phoenix » August 10th, 2013, 2:13 pm

We just got news last night 2ww Positive :D We will be waiting for follow up beta Hcg test in a couple of days.
Phoenix

Postby Nava10 » August 11th, 2013, 1:20 am

Phoenix wrote:We just got news last night 2ww Positive :D We will be waiting for follow up beta Hcg test in a couple of days.

Hey Phoenix, congratulations!!!! When was your egg transfer? Has it already been two weeks? So happy for you!!!
My egg retrieval is tomorrow.
Nava10

Postby ceciliame » August 11th, 2013, 8:49 am

Hi phoenix, congrats!!! What's your hcg levels? So happy and exciting for you!!

Nav: how u doing? Retrieval yet??
ceciliame

Postby Phoenix » August 11th, 2013, 12:22 pm

The beta Hcg was 1566 mIU/ml. It seems to be in range of 2-3 weeks interval 100 -5000. It is supposed to double in 48-72 hrs for normal pregnancy. I expect another email tomorrow. Dr. Patel had transferred 5 total however only two embryos were 5 cells, looking good and the others so-so and had not really divided. I did not want to wait for blastocyst since there was a chance only 1 or 2 of the 5 cells embryos would make it to that stage. She also used assist laser hatching because of my age 38.
Nava - I hope all goes well with your retrieval.
Last edited by Phoenix on November 25th, 2013, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix

Postby Nava10 » August 11th, 2013, 6:48 pm

Hi cici and Phoenix,

My egg retrieval is today...fingers crossed and hoping for the best. I will email you both with updates.

Phoenix, I wonder if you're having twins!!! Ahhhh very exciting. Cici, I hope you am your husband got home safe.
Nava10

Postby ceciliame » August 11th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Hi phoenix and Nav,

So excited for u all!!

Phoenix: that is definitely a twin because the hcg level is so high. mine was 2147 for the first hcg level.

Nav: all the best to you. Am waiting to hear great news from you! Hope your mum has reached home safely too!
ceciliame

Postby Phoenix » August 13th, 2013, 8:26 am

Just got 2nd beta Hcg test result 6668. That's a good increase in levels for pregnancy. My husband and I think it may be twins. :D
Phoenix

Postby ceciliame » August 13th, 2013, 9:06 am

Congrats Phoenix!! Definitely twins!! Could be triplets? My second hcg level was 4667. Now u got to wait for the 7th week scams for some real cool scan pics and heartbeats reports!! :D
ceciliame

Postby Nava10 » August 21st, 2013, 4:13 am

Hi everyone, I got back on the 16th. Quick question, my embryo transfer (3 day transfer) was on August 16th when will I get an email from doctor Patel? Will it be two weeks from egg retrieval or two weeks from egg transfer. Just want to know when I should start looking out for her email. Ahh this is the longest two weeks of my life!
Nava10

Postby ceciliame » August 21st, 2013, 6:30 am

Hi Nav,

You can expect the email from the day of transfer. 2 weeks. Are u home safely now? How did it go?
ceciliame

Return to Stage-specific Discussions