1. Baby-making in Anand (including prep at home)

Postby HammockGuy » February 27th, 2009, 3:35 pm

This is the first in a series of 5 free-form discussions related to where a couple is in the process. Unlike the topic-centric discussions that adhere strictly to the subject, these are much more open to a multitude of subjects that would naturally present themselves during this stage.

For those who did not read about the forum’s structure within “About this Forum”, here are the five stages of these free-form discussions:

2. Awaiting Pregnancy

3. Awaiting Birth

4. Baby Pick-up in Anand (including prep at home)

5. Baby at Home

If you are currently in India to start the IVF / surrogacy process, and want to share experiences, or have pressing questions or concerns, you've found the right place. Please, even if you are not at this stage, but have contributions to make or relevant questions about this stage of the process, your participation is likewise encouraged.

I cannot highlight enough that although there are topic threads on such subjects as hotels and restaurants, it’s perfectly fine if those topics are mentioned here also as it’s all part of the “baby-making” experience. Again, these are free-form discussions, and so long as various topics are related to this stage, it’s fair game here. As a matter of reference, talk about sonograms, marker tests, breast milk & formula would be best served for other stages and/or specific topics.

This fluid discussion here should cover a fair amount of information, and probably most germane will be talk about cycling with Dr. Patel, meeting the surrogate, the meds/injections, methods of payment, eggs and their pick-up (EPU), the collections room (us guys), embryos, the transfer, gifting your surrogate, and plenty more...

Also, as I said earlier in “About this Forum”, I have a slight favor to ask. If participating in a stage-specific discussion like this one, and a previously unknown hotel or restaurant is mentioned, someone please take a moment to add this new tidbit of information to the appropriate topic-focused discussion (on hotels or restaurants). It would be ideal to keep those topics as current as possible; and your help would be appreciated.

Ok, “Baby-making in Anand” awaits your input...
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy
Father of 2 girls - Thanks Dr. Patel!

Re: 1. Baby-making in Anand

Postby dcrater » March 4th, 2009, 6:38 pm

I'll start.... We are in the beginning stages still. I just received a response from Dr. Patel about preparing to go. She has asked for a few hormone levels, day two scan, and other blood work. I know that she has not asked everyone for these items (talking to people from a different forum), so I was just wondering if you guys had any insight. I don't mind getting this items taken care of, but I was just curious. I am also awaiting her pricing. I have been told that cost may have increased since her original estimate back in the summer.

We are planning to go In June and although we have an idea of what to expect, I still have some holes to fill in. I just wanted to say again, thanks for starting this board. It is an answer to my latest prayer...
dcrater

Re: 1. Baby-making in Anand

Postby HammockGuy » March 4th, 2009, 10:31 pm

dcrater wrote:I'll start.... We are in the beginning stages still. I just received a response from Dr. Patel about preparing to go. She has asked for a few hormone levels, day two scan, and other blood work. I know that she has not asked everyone for these items (talking to people from a different forum), so I was just wondering if you guys had any insight. I don't mind getting this items taken care of, but I was just curious. I am also awaiting her pricing. I have been told that cost may have increased since her original estimate back in the summer.

For my wife, Dr. Patel wanted a 2 day water ultrasound scan or what was called an antral follicle count (an egg count, sort of). For those who don't know, this is performed on day 2 of the menstrual period. If not uncomfortable enough already (given that time of the month), water is injected along with a probe :o . To this day, my wife says that was the most discomfort and pain she felt during the WHOLE process - including anything performed at Dr. Patel's clinic. Dr. Patel asked for some hormone levels for my wife also. Actually, here's a copy/paste of what I provided to Dr. Patel:

What is your age?

My wife's age is 33. She will be 34 while in India on Dec 8th.

Your weight (BMI)

My wife's height is 5' 4" or 162 cm. Her weight is 125 pounds or 57 kg.

Her standard BMI = 21.5

Her metric BMI = 21.7

Day 2 ultrasound scan

My wife had an antral follicle ultrasound yesterday. Her period began 24 hours earlier, so this was a 2 day ultrasound, but not by much. A total of 14 follicles were identified, maybe 15. There is no image to share from that ultrasound. She is going for a water ultrasound on day 8. We will get images from that scan and I will scan those into the computer and email them to you later.

Day 2 serum FSH, Prolactine, TSH, Estradiol, LH

After the antral follicle ultrasound, my wife had some lab work done:

FSH = 5.3 mIU/mL
Prolactine = 12 ng/mL
Estradiol = 37 pg/mL
TSH = 2.4 uIU/mL

Semen analysis of your husband.

The lab cannot due this test for me now, but soon. I will let you know.

Menstrual history.
What was your last menstrual history?

Here are my wife's period begin dates and length of cycle:

Period Begin - Duration in Days
01/10/08 - 28
02/07/08 - 28
03/06/08 - 30
04/05/08 - 28
05/03/08 - 30
06/02/08 - 31
07/03/08 - 30
08/02/08 - 31
09/02/08

See you in late Nov!
================

I hope that helps.

dcrater wrote:We are planning to go In June and although we have an idea of what to expect, I still have some holes to fill in. I just wanted to say again, thanks for starting this board. It is an answer to my latest prayer...

Such a forum is meant to fill these holes as best possible. Going to India and feeling good about things and knowing what to expect, will make the process go all that much smoother and make for less stress. That's a good thing. That all said, I hope we get some more gals in here! I'm certainly no expert on such matters, especially being a guy.
Four cycles with Dr. Nayana Patel, with the first and fourth giving us two beautiful, healthy baby girls! Persistence and determination are often rewarded, so stay the course...
HammockGuy

Re: 1. Baby-making in Anand (including prep at home!)

Postby dcrater » March 5th, 2009, 6:00 am

Thanks for that info, those are the same questions she asked us. We are getting started on all these appointments. Did your insurance cover any of this? DH and I were wondering last night how it would get billed to insurance. Thanks!
dcrater

Re: 1. Baby-making in Anand (including prep at home!)

Postby HammockGuy » March 5th, 2009, 12:40 pm

Ok, I had to go look-up DH :lol: Dear or darling husband. I like that...

Glad to hear that you were asked for the same. You are not alone, in many respects. Yup, our insurance (Kaiser) covered it all. We actually did the hormone tests twice as the first one was about 9 months old. I think we spent maybe 20 bucks in co-payments.
HammockGuy

Re: 1. Baby-making in Anand (including prep at home)

Postby dcrater » March 6th, 2009, 2:49 pm

We are still awaiting a return email from Dr. Patel. I have asked her a few questions and have not heard a response yet. I know she is busy, but I wish sometimes communication was better. I guess it is just my nerves just kicking in... just like everyone else, we want this to work. Do you have any helpful hints that I probably haven't heard yet?
dcrater

Postby HammockGuy » March 6th, 2009, 6:47 pm

We all want responses quickly, especially for something so important as this... You are certainly not alone and I understand. We are waiting to hear back on the double marker test that would indicate if our growing baby might have something like Down Syndrome. I know that takes a couple weeks here in the States, so we remain patient...

You are correct in how busy she is. Having seen first-hand how she loves her work, and all that she juggles, I have an appreciation for why response times are not as ideal as we all would want... She will get back though. Always has with us... As hard as it might sound now, part of all of "this" is just rolling with it, going with the flow, if you know what I mean... I've heard quite a few couples say that, even when we were at your stage, and I remember feeling antsy as well :lol: Focus on the prize. Dr. Patel gets results...

If I may ask, what are you waiting hear? Has she already given you date? If so, you are golden.
HammockGuy

Postby dcrater » March 6th, 2009, 8:08 pm

I am waiting to hear if I need to come of my BCP, I am pretty sure that I have to, but want to check. I do not menstrate and that is the way my OBGYN told me to keep track of when I cycled, so I could tell Dr. Patel. I also asked her for a list of her current prices, I heard from some others that they have gone up since I was originally quoted last summer. I appreciate your answers and honesty. This can be so personal sometimes...

Don't sweat the marker test. When I was pregnant with my son, we had several markers for a few disorders. They all came back as nothing to worry about. Just keep the faith :)
dcrater

Postby HammockGuy » March 6th, 2009, 8:24 pm

Good to hear. I've heard that that marker tests are riddled with flaws making for many false positives. This however can then lead to a amnio being done, if I understand correctly. We, and the surrogate I'm sure, would like to avoid this route if possible... Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Dr. Patel typically has you gals go on BCP's the month prior to arrival in Anand. My wife had never been on them before, so that was a new experience right there. She does this to allow for better control and timing of the next, all important cycle begin date - when the IVF / surrogacy procedure begins in Anand.

If you are on them now, she might just have you continue then, but indeed, get that info straight from her. As far as prices go, we spent about $10k in total to "roll the dice" if you will. This was in Dec 2008, and this figure includes everything from our 1 year Indian Visas, airfare, hotel, food, tips, you name it; and of course expenses paid to the clinic for services rendered. Maybe that will help a little as this was just a few months ago...
HammockGuy

Postby dcrater » March 8th, 2009, 7:55 pm

I appreciate your responses. I haven't heard back from her yet. The prices she quoted me in August added up to more than 10k. Flights alone for us will be 3k. Hmmm.... I wish she would email me back :?
dcrater

Postby HammockGuy » March 8th, 2009, 9:46 pm

dcrater wrote:I appreciate your responses. I haven't heard back from her yet. The prices she quoted me in August added up to more than 10k. Flights alone for us will be 3k. Hmmm.... I wish she would email me back :?

To be clear, the prices I was quoted last Summer were around $20k in total, depending upon options. When I said $10k, that is about what it cost us to try, or roll the dice as I said. To put it another way... If we would have not gotten pg, we would be out about $10k, only. This includes everything. We paid the clinic less than $6k...

I checked other options in India, and they too were also about $20k in total (baby delivered), so really not much different in that respect. The upfront costs to try, were different though, mostly because Dr. Patel includes the meds in her pricing. As you probably know, this can add-on a few more thousand...

In the end though, while it was less expensive to try with Dr. Patel in Anand, we just liked the idea of knowing that she is highly regarded and well-established, as opposed to being a new operation, leaving us to wonder... There were enough uncertainties already, and while I have nothing against new outfits per se, and actually feel that they offer some desirable benefits, we just felt more comfortable with her.

I hope you hear back on the BCP question, soon...
HammockGuy

Postby bigwalt » March 14th, 2009, 7:48 pm

HG, again thanks for this great site!

Its good to hear that insurance covered many of the tests here at home, I'll have to check with mine. It would be nice to do as much of these procedures here at home, especially if insurance covers some! How many days did you have to spend in India? If you had frozen embros from before, could they be used? These are the same questions that I've emailed Dr. Patel, but as you know she is busy and usually takes a week or more to here back. As for the costs Dr. Patel quoted to us around the $20K for about everything.
bigwalt

Postby HammockGuy » March 14th, 2009, 8:47 pm

As with us, most couples I know have had their tests performed under their insurance coverage. I hope it will be the same for you as well...

As I just shared in the other thread, expect to spend 2 weeks minimum in India. I suppose one doesn't have to be there for the transfer into the surrogate though; but we found that quite important. I find that most couples spend about 2 1/2 weeks there... Dr. Patel likes to monitor and adjust the meds / hormones as she sees fit, so injecting at home, and flying-out there just for IVF & surrogacy is probably not an option. I never asked though... She has her ways, and I didn't want to do anything out of her protocol.

Frozen embryos... BW, I asked Dr. Patel last summer (2008), and I did get a response. As always, that was then, and I don't know if thing have changed. She said that her clinic does not accept frozen embryos for a few reasons, such as possible legal implication / concerns (import & export of embryos being contrary to the Indian guidelines) and less success with FET. She also said that the surrogates go through a lot in getting prepared for the IVF cycle and because of that, there is a desire of course to want to pursue the route with the highest success rates...

Glad to hear that $20k USD is still the going rate.
HammockGuy

Looking Forward to visiting August 17 2011

Postby CanadaCouple » August 10th, 2011, 5:51 pm

Hello everyone, So Glad this website is back up and running. We are looking forward to our first trip to Anand. So far so good, Booked a direct flight from Toronto. Will stay two days in Ahmedabad and then the rest of the time in Anand. We will stay at the Country Inn for two days then go to Rama. Looked at the Moudhaban resort very nice but a little pricey for us. We've contacted Indrajeet "DAVE" the driver others have used from the site. If anyone is heading out around the same time or has been recently please drop us a line.
CanadaCouple

Postby HammockGuy » August 10th, 2011, 5:55 pm

Thanks for the first post in this "new" forum!

Direct to AMD is nice, for sure. Emirates airlines?

Might you have Dave's or Indrajeet's contact info? Gone with the old forum... :( He also goes by Indu, as you might know.

Best to of luck to you and safe travels.
HammockGuy

A good car service used by others/ Indrajeet contact info

Postby CanadaCouple » August 10th, 2011, 6:10 pm

An often recommended car hire is "Dave" Indrajeet his e-mail is meeratoursdave@yahoo.com his cell (mobile) number is 91 (country code) 9426005402 or 91 (country code) 9904790088. He has quoted us Rs. 1900 to go from AMD to Anand. Which is 1/2 the price our travel agent offered in arranging a car from here. Note that the price often changes with the price of fuel. BDQ airport is about Rs. 500 cheaper as its a shorter drive. But AMD airport has more international flights and is a larger hub than BDQ.
CanadaCouple

Next

Return to Stage-specific Discussions