1. Baby-making in Anand (including prep at home)

Re: 1. Baby-making in Anand (including prep at home)

Postby rose » April 26th, 2013, 9:16 am

Hi kdr,

We are going in June to Anand for surrogacy. Can you please share your experiance like meeting your surrogate. Also may I ask how many embroyos did you transfer. Did you go through the clinic for hotel bookings ?
rose

Postby ceciliame » April 30th, 2013, 2:14 am

Dear all,

We are back home from Anand and is now in the 2ww. Dr Patel and the clinic staff are great and we met many couples there and had become good friends. Dr Patel is really busy and catching hold of her is not easy. But I think she is really really good with her work and is passionate about it.

I retrieved 12 eggs and fertilized 7. At day 2 the embryologist informed us that out of these 7, 3 were very good and the rest not so. So she and Dr Patel decided to go for blastocyst. Today is the day of the ET to my surrogate and was informed that only 2 embryos made it to blastocyst. I was worried sick from day one of my ER to the ET date, keep thinking if the precious embies will make it or not. The 2 weeks wait is incredibly long for me as well as for my friends.

Did anyone did a blastocyst with Dr Patel on a first attempt and has successful stories to share? I have failed ivf attempts back home and thus decided to use a surrogate. Hope to hear from you guys soon.
ceciliame

Postby Nava10 » May 1st, 2013, 10:28 am

Dear Ceciliame,

I wish you lots of luck! We are going in August and I am super nervous. Sending you best wishes! Please keep us posted at how things end up. I'm also curious about Dr. Patel's blastocyst success rate. Which hotel did you stay at? We're staying at Rama.
Nava10

Postby bmkoss » May 2nd, 2013, 8:49 am

Hello
Question regarding when to do the ultrasound and labs at home. Dr Patel emailed us with dates when to take BC pills and when to see her. She didn't mention when to get the labs or ultrasound.
BC pills 9/12-10/2(Wednesday) then we travel Thursday to arrive in Anand Saturday and she mentioned to see her on Mon 10/7 for initial appt and 1st injection.
I have had a hysterectomy but I know she will still need the ultrasound to check the ovaries. We would appreciate any advice. Everyone has been so helpful!
bmkoss

Postby Nava10 » May 2nd, 2013, 10:36 am

Hello everyone,

I got this e-mail from Dr. Patel. It is still kind of confusing - but may provide some extra information to the group.

IVF with Surrogacy Procedure

I will call you on Day 4 of stopping birth control pill - so the day you see me will be Day 1.

On Day 1 - check up – scan, blood test and starting injections.
Day 2, 3, 4, 5 - Injections
Day 6 - scan - Injections
Day 7 - Injections
Day 8 - Scan - Blood test and also take injctions
Day 9 - Scan - injections
Day 10 - scan - injections
day 11 - scan - Inj. ovitrille at 11.00 PM
Day 12 - no check up, no injections
Day 13 - egg retrieval under general anesthesia at 9.00 AM in morning you come to clinic at 8.00 AM on empty stomach. Your husband gives fresh sperms on that day.
Day 15 – Embryo transfer in surrogate in afternoon then after you can fly back.

Also, we will freeze your husband's sperms as a back up sample 3 days before IVF.

Wife stay for 16 – 18 days.

Husband will be needed fro 3 - 4 days only.

Your husband can come on day 8 of injectons ***** End of Dr. Patel's email

I also asked her about birth control and any extra vitamins she thinks we should take. She stated that my husband and I should take COQ 10 + Vitamins, and when told to do so, take any birth control pill with estrogen + progesterone combination.
Nava10

Postby bmkoss » May 2nd, 2013, 10:43 am

We received that too. I thought Dr Patel also needed labs and the ultrasound before leaving to Anand? If so, we are not sure as to when since we will be in transit.
bmkoss

Postby Nava10 » May 2nd, 2013, 11:11 am

bmkoss,

I'm still confused as to what days I should take BCP. Any insight on that would be greatly appreciated.

I can't predict my cycles because they are all over the place. She hasn't been so helpful with helping me plan those dates. Also, does anyone have recommendations for BCP - brand, etc?
Nava10

Postby bmkoss » May 2nd, 2013, 6:49 pm

Hi nava10
When we gave Patel dates when we would like to be there, she replied back that those dates would work for her, then gave us the dates when to start taking BC pills and when to finish. So check with her to make sure your travel dates work and she should send you a reply when to take them.
Hope that helps. We are in the beginning stages ourselves, so we need confirmation on things too (like when to do the ultrasound and labs prior to travel)
bmkoss

Postby snv1979 » May 2nd, 2013, 9:34 pm

Dear Nava10,

Regarding your post on supplements, please refer to the below post dtd 24-Dec-12.

Hope it helps.

snv1979 wrote:Dear Share,

With a low AMH, you need to be on DHEA 25mg thrice a day. Please consult Dr. Patel to confirm the dosage and if it would help you.

Please refer to my post dated 26th October on this subject under IVF Preparations.

If you are aware of the problem i.e., low AMH, you may want to consider postponing your trip to 3-4 months from when you start your supplements & DHEA. McPherson Lab's DHEA seem to have a better absorption rate due to their size.

The link I have mentioned below lists all the mandatory supplements and their dosage. These are based on scientific studies referred to against each supplement.

As with any medical regime, consult your family doctor before embarking on this, as many of these supplements could affect other conditions and/or functions and have not been prescribed / suggested by Dr. Patel's clinic.

With patience and perseverance, you will surely find success.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you.

PM me in case you need more info and also note the "numbers" I mention in the below post is with reference to an earlier post in that Forum.

Dont get into these numbers / scores. At the end of the day, all you need is just one good quality embryo.

Dr.Patel closely monitors your response and adjusts the dosage according to the response of your body.

This site has info on the supplements you could possibly consider having to improve your chances of good quality egg & sperm, and consequently, embryo quality.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art32665.asp

This site is good as it references scientific studies, based on which the claims are made and consolidates them all in one place. You will need to take these supplements atleast 3-4 months prior to your cycle.

As with any medical regime, consult your family doctor before embarking on this, as many of these supplements could affect other conditions and/or functions.

snv1979

Postby Nava10 » May 3rd, 2013, 1:28 pm

Dear snv1979,

Thank you so much. I've already read your previous post - it was so helpful. My husband and I been taking many supplements including wheatgrass shots, l-argenine, coQ10, Vitamin D, Calcium, pre-natals with DHA, and my husband is also taking maca roots and his own set of vitamins. I looked into Royal Jelly, but it just looked really gross, can't get myself to take a spoonful of honey like consistency liquid. By the time we start our treament early August, we will have had almost 4 months of vitamins and supplements.

What did you take when you were prepping? How many cycles did it take for your surrogacy to get pregnant? Were you successful? I love hearing success stories :-)

Happy Friday everyone!
Nava10

Postby Phoenix » May 31st, 2013, 12:42 pm

Hi Nava 10,
I will be in Anand July 13 - Aug.2 also staying at Rama. We are also going for blastocyst transfer, hence my longer stay there. In general, the other websites say that waiting for blastocyst yields better results to implantation of embryo. I wanted to give this one try since Dr. Patel will need to do Abdominal Oocyte Retrieval because of high position of ovaries. I don't want to go under general anethesia twice. Has anyone had their embryos frozen with Dr. Patel as backup plan and then transfered to surrogate, if first transfer did not result in pregnancy?
Phoenix

Postby Nava10 » June 3rd, 2013, 10:12 am

Hi Phoenix,

I will be there from July 27 - August 17th. We haven't decided if we want to transfer blasts or regular embryos yet. Would love to meet up with you. I will be there with my mom, my husband will be joining on August 9th. Good luck with everything!

I also had the same question about freezing embryos for backup in case the surrogate does not get pregnant. I believe Dr. Patel does do that, but I would love to hear from other people that have gone through this.
Nava10

Postby rabbit3872 » June 8th, 2013, 12:24 pm

In response to Nava10's question, my husband and I had multiple miscarriages in the States (4 of them actually) and I was told by fertility experts that they highly doubted I'd be able to carry a baby full-term. We went to India and Dr. Patel did IVF and we used a surrogate and it worked the first time! We were very thankful to Dr. Patel for everything she did for us. Today we have a precious one-year-old baby girl!
rabbit3872

Postby cpbk1 » June 24th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Hello all,

Very new to this process and will be visiting Dr. Patel in the near future. For those from the states- do you recommend getting an immigration surrogacy lawyer to review the contracts signed with Dr. Patel? Also for those who have used Donor eggs- any legal issues arise when obtaining US citizenship?

Thanks in advance.
cpbk1

Postby Renu » June 30th, 2013, 6:16 pm

Hi All,
I would like to thank all to help each other.Me and my husband are having Egg donor with Ivf surrogacy In India. I would like to know if any one knows if I ( mother) can get leave from work FMLA if having surrogacy done in in indi? As you know we have to go to India ,get paper work etc....does any one know how many weaks one can get for FMLA.Thanks....
Renu

Postby Maggie » August 21st, 2013, 8:40 pm

Hi CPBK1, I don't think it's necessary to get a lawyer to review the contracts stateside. I actually hired a lawyer in Anand with expertise in surrogacy law to review them and the current state of the laws to make sure we weren't going to get into some kind of weird limbo situation. He did a very thorough review, almost like a law school case study, and found no problems at that time. This was in fall of 2012. Our daughter was born in January 2013 and came home with us 3 weeks later.

With donor eggs, the father must prove relatedness via DNA test. He can do this either from the U.S. or from India (using the recommended lab required by the U.S. consulate). You cannot get US citizenship if the baby is not related to either parent. However, only the father's name will appear on the Consular Report of Birth Abroad as a result. (But both parents' names will be on the local Indian birth certificate that you will also have.)

I actually have been wondering if I need to go to court to "adopt" my own daughter, odd though that may sound. Because when we went to apply for social security card, only my husband had standing to sign for her in the eyes of the U.S. government due to the CRBA only listing his name. I spoke with my neighbor, an immigration attorney, and she referred me to a colleague who has dealt with related issues. I have just been too busy with the baby to follow up, but I will post about it after doing so.

For family reasons, we had planned not to tell anyone about the egg donor as actually went to great length to find an egg donor with my somewhat unusual ethnic background, who looks a lot like me -- even matched the blood type -- but now that DNA testing is becoming so common (23andme.com, etc.), I'm pretty sure it will soon be an impossible secret to keep. I don't want my kid coming home from high school having figured it out in biology lab. To that end I just bought a book that is supposed to help you explain surrogacy, donor eggs, etc. to young children. Now just have to figure out how to tell the rest of the family since we've misled them by omission (though never actually lied about it).

Somehow I never found out about this support group until after I returned from India, which I'm sorry for; it would have been super helpful!

Hope things are going well for you.

cpbk1 wrote:Hello all,

Very new to this process and will be visiting Dr. Patel in the near future. For those from the states- do you recommend getting an immigration surrogacy lawyer to review the contracts signed with Dr. Patel? Also for those who have used Donor eggs- any legal issues arise when obtaining US citizenship?

Thanks in advance.
Maggie

PreviousNext

Return to Stage-specific Discussions